Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2008, 16:48   #1
BHPian

A car for a big family

We are a large family with 7 adults (parents + 2 married sons + 1 college going son) and little kids to follow soon in a couple of years. We have a five year old Zen now and clearly it is not sufficient to ferry the family.

Left with no other option we have to go for a new vehicle. These are the things that I have in my mind.

Requirement
-----------
1. A stylish and durable vehicle. No plans to change the car later.
2. Low maintenance costs.
3. Fuel efficient.
3. Should be comfortable for all age groups as we have all the variety in our family.
4. We plan to keep the zen lx as it will be required for shopping and driving in the congested
roads.
5. Budget - 10L OTR (at max 11L).

Usage
-----
1. Large part is in the city(Hyd) around 40Km per day
2. Used by the entire family only during weekends that too not regularly. Weekdays both cars will be used individually.
3. Long pleasure trips once in 2months. Entire family may not participate in all the trips but all of us might go twice or thrice a year.

When
-----
I am thinking to buy sometime after 6 to 7months. Have to plan for the moola.

My Take
--------
After reading the forums for the past 1month I can think of following options in the order of preference

1. Safari 2.2VTT VX
2. innova 8 seater
3. Scorpio SLX (with mHawk engine if available at the time of purchase)

I am sure this kind of requirement might have come up for many of our TBHP'ians. Can you please suggest a way out of this conundrum. Please pour in your thoughts. Also please enlighten me about any options that are going to pop up in future.

Thanks in advance
Old 10th February 2008, 18:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Innova fits your requirements to a T
Old 10th February 2008, 18:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Innova
Old 10th February 2008, 19:07   #4
BANNED

Consider Sumo Grande and Winger both from Tata. I am not recommending either - just pointing out options available to you. And "stylish"ness is very subjective. What is style for you may not be style for me.
Old 10th February 2008, 19:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Innova is the best possible vehicle for you needs. But, as BaCkSeAtDrIVeR said, you could check out the Winger. Looks very '80ish but could suit your requirements.
Old 10th February 2008, 19:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Safari 2.2VTT VX
2. innova 8 seater
3. Scorpio SLX (with mHawk engine if available at the time of purchase)
Looking at your requirement to seat 7 people, the Scorpio and Safari are eliminated since they are best as a 5 seater, the rear jump seats are for children only.

There are no other 7 seaters said to be launched in your budged in the near future. The Santa FE will be a 7 seater but it will cost more then 15L
Old 10th February 2008, 20:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

Innova 8 seator is best bet for your requirment, Test drive Diesel (FE between 9-15kmpl) and Petrol (FE between 7-12kmpl) see which you like. For family use I suggest strictly 8 seator Innova rather 7 seator because 8 seator helps a lot when you need to carry kids

I suggest Innova V spec or G4.

Next comes Sumo Grande since you will be buying the vehicle in 6-7 months by that time i am sure Grande will be stable from initial glitches (assuming any new cars will heve one or other minor niggles) so its good one too.

Last choice is vehicle like Winger but its for taxy use rather than family use but you can check it out If you like it.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 10th February 2008, 21:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Innova G4 or Sumo Grande (When it is released). These SUVs suit perfect to your requirement. These have lot os space for 8 people + children. TD both the vehicles and then decide which ever suits to you better.
Old 10th February 2008, 21:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

whenever there was a need to transport 7 people the answer is innova.take a look at winger too.you can also get a tempo traveller customised also for that price and cost of maintenence is way less compared to innova.lol.
ram
Old 10th February 2008, 21:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

I guess there is nothing to ask. Go for the innova. The engine would last atleast 3L km. The ride comfort is the "BEST". Quality/fit and finish are good. Space Space and More Space. Nothing really to think about this. Its just the Innova.
Old 10th February 2008, 21:57   #11
BHPian

Thank you guys. TBHP rocks! I am overwhelmed by your responses. I always adored the safari since my childhood days but now when the reality hits it erases all your dreams.

After reading all your responses looks like as of now Innova is the only option. I will start doing some R&d on the specifications/features. I am game for Sumo grande if it is better or at least equally good as Safari. Anyways both Innova and Sumo names have been abused by the travel agents. So I am open to both of them. Winger is out of question as I would want to drive it to office daily and I don't think it will suit my image.

From now on I will start looking at innova's on the road so that I start liking it

By the way when is Sumo Grande expected to be available?

I will test drive Innova in coming few days. Any suggestions which dealer to go? I live in Hyderabad, actually Secunderabad.
Old 10th February 2008, 21:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Innova - no two ways about it. Just go for it brother. Superbly drivable in the city, very maneuverable, lots power on tap and comfortable seating. Plus within 11, maybe you would get V (check OTR hyd prices) version, which is the best/safest.

I know a friend who bought Innova/santro. except the times he was late, he'd invariably choose the innova to drive to office (noida - gurgaon, some 40km) for the sheer driving pleasure (MG road/ashram bottlenecks notwithstanding) so that speaks alot!
Old 10th February 2008, 22:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
whenever there was a need to transport 7 people the answer is innova.take a look at winger too.you can also get a tempo traveller customised also for that price and cost of maintenence is way less compared to innova.lol.
ram
OT: Sorry Ram. But how come a TT for 7 people? Have you seen any moded TT by any chance which accomodates 7~8 people.
Old 29th March 2008, 23:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Innova is the best bet for you. Keep in mind thought hat there are going to be minor changes to the Innova. Facelifts & better Interiors alongwith Airbags on all variants. Read that in ACI.

Other option is the current latest fad - Sumo grande !!
Old 30th March 2008, 09:48   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The long hiatus indicates the thread starter has moved on with his decision.

Thread closed

Last edited by theMAG : 30th March 2008 at 09:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks