Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2008, 19:36   #1
BHPian

Suggestions for buying a used 3 Liter Safari Dicor

Hi Guys,

Need the help, suggestions and advice badly and urgently. My friend got a used Safari 3 Liter Dicor (VXI - Mid 2006-Blue colour). When he got the Vehicle it had done close to 50k on the odo. The first owner could not pay the EMI's and the vehicle was hypothecated by the bank. My friend got it at around 4.5 lacs around 7 months back.

The vehicle has after market alloys and rubber too. Now my friend has planned to sell it for 3 lakhs. So the total kms done till now is close to 65k. I am interested in buying this vehicle and if ido buy it then i will be the 3rd owner. It is accident free for sure and is in good condition.The vehicle has clear titles (my friend has all the necessary documents) which he needs to have after buying a hypothecated vehicle.

The ONLY reason why i am interested in buying this car is because of the price. I think 3 lacs is a very good deal for a 2006 Safari Dicor.I already have a car (Fiesta 1.6 SXi). Please advice if i can go for it or not. If u have Any questions then please shoot up. I will be glad to answer them.
Old 8th March 2008, 21:56   #2
BHPian

Go for it man and don't look back. Dicor Safari is a very good vehicle to own. I know that you would be the 3rd owner but look at the discount that you are receiving.

Yeah but before buying do check out the vehicle at a proper garage as the repair work on Safari is very costly. My friend has a 2006 Safari Dicor and when ever he has gone for servicing the vehicle he has paid atleast 7000 for it (As he claims)

Also last time I was with him at the service centre and we change the bushing of the car (which is prone to breakage often) and that costed him 10k

Yeah all said and done Nothing beats a safari in - Image, Space, Comfort and ofcourse offroading (4X4).

My last word to you Buy IT OR LET ME BUY it
Old 8th March 2008, 22:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please bear in mind that the 70,000 km service on the Safari is major service and can cost a packet.
Old 8th March 2008, 23:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Please bear in mind that the 70,000 km service on the Safari is major service and can cost a packet.
something to do with the timing belt ?? i remember ppl warning me about this some 4-5 years back when i was hell bent on buying a used TATA SIERRA...

of course reason prevailed soon enough and i settled for an Esteem
Old 8th March 2008, 23:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
something to do with the timing belt ?? i remember ppl warning me about this some 4-5 years back when i was hell bent on buying a used TATA SIERRA...

of course reason prevailed soon enough and i settled for an Esteem
Suspension overhaul. However please note that the term "costs a packet" is in relation to regular Tata costs, which may not really work out to a lot much when compared to overall service costs for other vehicles of the same cost.
Old 9th March 2008, 00:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Torque123,

If I were in your place, I'd even sell a few relatives to buy that particular Safari. But I'm curious to know why your friend is selling it after using it for only 15000 kms .
Old 9th March 2008, 11:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

MAG,he might be knowing about the cost of the 70 k service,lol.Still its a good buy ,you can go ahead and knock the deal.
ram
Old 9th March 2008, 11:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its sounds like a great deal, but why is your friend selling it for 1.5lac less after just 7 months and 15k km???
Old 9th March 2008, 13:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
Hi Guys,
The ONLY reason why i am interested in buying this car is because of the price. I think 3 lacs is a very good deal for a 2006 Safari Dicor.
from what it appears you are getting a very good deal.

But from the website CarWale.com India the price for the same car should be anywhere about 7.0lac.
Considering the following
2006 mid (about jul)
Tata Safari 4X2 VX DiCOR BSIII run for 65K kms.

I wonder why your friend selling the same for less than half the price. I mean, even if the service involves a major cost still it cant justify more than 60% discount! or can it?
Old 10th March 2008, 18:49   #10
BHPian

Hi All,

The reason why my friend is selling the safari is because:-
1. He already has 4 cars (2 santros, 1 Laura, 1 Indigo)
2. He purchased that vehicle to gift to a high profile person (for getting some work done). Now that person does not want that vehicle and my friend does want to keep that vehicle.
3. There is a problem with the AC (roof AC) but when i spoke to him he said the over all expenses that i might incur would be maximum of 25k.
4.He wants to sell the car for 3.3k but i am his very good friend (freinds since childhood) and also worked for him a couple of years back. So he is willing to give it for 3 lacs.

Now please suggest what are kinds of problems the car MAY be having as it has done 70k on the odo and is it better to take it to a TATA A.s.s or to any good local mechanic. Also please tell me what are the documents i need to get from him incase if i buy it (as i have already mentioned that it was a hypothecated vehicle once upon a time). Also i have heard that the interest rate (finance) for buying used cars is higher than buying a new car. Please suggest which company would offer the lowest interest rate as i would be going for a loan (1.5 lacs).
Old 11th March 2008, 09:40   #11
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

The reason why my friend is selling the safari is because:-
1. He already has 4 cars (2 santros, 1 Laura, 1 Indigo)
2. He purchased that vehicle to gift to a high profile person (for getting some work done). Now that person does not want that vehicle and my friend does want to keep that vehicle.
3. There is a problem with the AC (roof AC) but when i spoke to him he said the over all expenses that i might incur would be maximum of 25k.
4.He wants to sell the car for 3.3k but i am his very good friend (freinds since childhood) and also worked for him a couple of years back. So he is willing to give it for 3 lacs.

Now please suggest what are kinds of problems the car MAY be having as it has done 70k on the odo and is it better to take it to a TATA A.s.s or to any good local mechanic. Also please tell me what are the documents i need to get from him incase if i buy it (as i have already mentioned that it was a hypothecated vehicle once upon a time). Also i have heard that the interest rate (finance) for buying used cars is higher than buying a new car. Please suggest which company would offer the lowest interest rate as i would be going for a loan (1.5 lacs).

Per your First Post you Mention that its a "VXI - Mid 2006-Blue colour" which is a 2L Petrol, A Dicor was Branded "VX"
Old 11th March 2008, 10:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need the help, suggestions and advice badly and urgently. My friend got a used Safari 3 Liter Dicor (VXI - Mid 2006-Blue colour). When he got the
Please confirm if it indeed is a Petrol vehicle. That is probably the reason why your friend got it cheap and selling it cheap.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Need the help, suggestions and advice badly and urgently. My friend got a used Safari 3 Liter Dicor (VXI - Mid 2006-Blue colour).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Per your First Post you Mention that its a "VXI - Mid 2006-Blue colour" which is a 2L Petrol, A Dicor was Branded "VX"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Please confirm if it indeed is a Petrol vehicle. That is probably the reason why your friend got it cheap and selling it cheap.
Its a 3L Dicor. 65k in 2 years is a lot of running.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

Take it to a TASS, and get a checkup done. They will give you an estimate of total costs(including those at 70K).
If its less than 1 lakh go for it.
Plugging in the scanner at the OBD Port will tell you a lot of things about the engine.
Old 11th March 2008, 10:50   #15
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Its a 3L Dicor. 65k in 2 years is a lot of running.
@torque - thats the main point you should think abt. 65k in less than 2 years..probably would have suffered lot of abuse...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks