Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2008, 12:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
don't think it is available anymore
The man who made that statement just booked one. He's awaiting delivery.
Old 15th March 2008, 13:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The man who made that statement just booked one. He's awaiting delivery.
Who? 3.0L?

Think there are 2-3 in stock at Tvm.
Old 17th March 2008, 12:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirlp View Post
For Safari LX:

Will it be possible to get roof mounted rear a/c on LX safari version as an add-on without voiding warranty ? Also, does roof mounted a/c require an extra compressor (layman speak) or is it just that it's an extra outlet ?

Does the EX/VX versions with roof mounted a/c have an extra compressor for the same ?

I remember someone saying that such add-ons cost Rs.16K, though the warranty angle was not covered in that discussion.

Also, what will the upgrade to the tubeless tyres cost ?

I understand that keyless entry and music system also need to be added. Am assuming that'll cost me around 15-20K or so.

And then, there's the rear view mirror camera. But that's sometime down the line.
Any answers to any of these ?
Old 17th March 2008, 12:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why not Safari 3.0 DICOR LX ? You will get really great discount, 7.5L OTR and that too EX model

And then if you want more power come back to TBHP and search for a thread by Steeroid.

Are you sure about 3.0 Dicor Lx /Ex.
Old 17th March 2008, 16:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Td The Scorp

Hai Sudhir,

For your usage I'd say Scorp (not the M-Hwak - not VFM) but the older LX 2.6 CRDE. The invoice price of around 7.1 L + taxes + insurance etc. should b around 7.5. If you do the claddings and some extra fittings to make it like the DX, you'd save lots of money on a model which will look & act like a better than a DX which would be invoiced around 7.8 L.

The scorp would be great to drive in traffic, wold be torquey and drives like a car. Till the middle row the A/C is OK, but not the best. The last row is not good, bumpy, but you have low use for that. The fit and finish is best in class, the engine refined with a great road presance. On the highway you need to be careful while braking or doing sharp turns. I have seen that under 80 even at high speed its very stable, contrary to all the bad presss its getting. On the maintenance front, there are validated user records saying its one of the most economic, if you want years of data, I can point you to the URL.

I did the TD of Sumo G, not impressed. The spring leaf susp is lousy, more bumpy on the back seats than the scorp, you can feel the engine vibes if you near the redline. The last seat space is the best in class, its clearly taxi territory. I would'nt touch it for personal use, specially if I'm driving it.

Safari is not my choice, many reasons, I would'n't want to post it here and start off the 3rd W-War with so many dedicated lovers of this fine machine. I submit that I love some features of this truck which blows other SUV's into the orbit, including the Scorp

Happy Driving,

--Ramky

Quote:

Sumo Grande GX
Scorpio DX
Safari LX 4x2

Primary requirements are (in no particular order):
The convenience of being more than a 5 seater - may rarely be put to use, but nevertheless want to have it as an option
Easy to handle, Good ride
A/C definitely needs to be good
Judicious on the wallet
Safety
And, all the jazz as much as possible

FWIW, my yearly travel may not exceed 5000-6000km (mostly within city, with 1or2 long trips amounting to 1000 kms), still M/SUVs with Diesel option is what I'm looking for.
Old 17th March 2008, 18:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maybe some safari 3.0 L would be available with the dealers.I heard of a bolt on kit for the 3.0 L from jk.JK can you enlighten on this issue.
ram
Old 17th March 2008, 20:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggercool View Post
Are you sure about 3.0 Dicor Lx /Ex.
Yes. 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Sudhir,

For your usage I'd say Scorp (not the M-Hwak - not VFM) but the older LX 2.6 CRDE. The invoice price of around 7.1 L + taxes + insurance etc. should b around 7.5. If you do the claddings and some extra fittings to make it like the DX, you'd save lots of money on a model which will look & act like a better than a DX which would be invoiced around 7.8 L.

The scorp would be great to drive in traffic, wold be torquey and drives like a car. Till the middle row the A/C is OK, but not the best. The last row is not good, bumpy, but you have low use for that. The fit and finish is best in class, the engine refined with a great road presance. On the highway you need to be careful while braking or doing sharp turns. I have seen that under 80 even at high speed its very stable, contrary to all the bad presss its getting. On the maintenance front, there are validated user records saying its one of the most economic, if you want years of data, I can point you to the URL.

--Ramky
Please check with the dealer if the 2.6 CRDe is being replaced with the 2.2. Heard it now sold as 2.2i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Maybe some safari 3.0 L would be available with the dealers.I heard of a bolt on kit for the 3.0 L from jk.JK can you enlighten on this issue.
ram
Pal, lets wait and see. Its a rumor and lets see if Tata will surprise us again.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The choices below are from a pure price point. All of them more or less around 8.3-8.5L OTR in Chennai.

Primary requirements are (in no particular order):
The convenience of being more than a 5 seater - may rarely be put to use, but nevertheless want to have it as an option
Easy to handle, Good ride
A/C definitely needs to be good
Judicious on the wallet
Safety
And, all the jazz as much as possible

Any suggestions ? I don't mind buying a low end variant and upgrading as long as its possible and warranty doesn't become void.

FWIW, my yearly travel may not exceed 5000-6000km (mostly within city, with 1or2 long trips amounting to 1000 kms), still M/SUVs with Diesel option is what I'm looking for.

Plan to have the vehicle for at least 5 years.
Tavera???
The B4 with 2+2 captain seats is a very good product, the captain seats come with a lever sought of thing which enhances the back support, good for long journeys. The OTR for hyderabad was 8.6L, but with a cash discount of 30K offered by the dealer on the Ex-showroom price was a good deal.

It also comes with the AC vents for the rear passengers as well.

I think this leads the FE numbers and also the maintenance challenge by the chevvy does make this a good option.

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 18th March 2008 at 00:04.
Old 18th March 2008, 13:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Tavera???

It also comes with the AC vents for the rear passengers as well.

I think this leads the FE numbers and also the maintenance challenge by the chevvy does make this a good option.

raj.
I have heard of Tavera getting 18-20 consistently.
Old 18th March 2008, 14:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Tavera returns around 15 km pl overall.pretty decent vehicle and handles pretty well too.The 2+2 captain seat version is a VFM option.
ram
Old 18th March 2008, 15:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard of Tavera getting 18-20 consistently.
Yes its the new favourite in the Taxi market. It lived in the shadow of the Qualis for a while but now it seems to be winning its own market. It looks less taxi-ish than the Sumo/Grande/Qualis/etc too.
Old 18th March 2008, 16:16   #27
BHPian

chevy is offering some cashless service too. dont know whether its applicable to Tavera. But with that mileage its going to be a steal. I heard the new safari is also not that thirsty. someone even posted 18 kms? (hope its with 1 ltr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
The B4 with 2+2 captain seats is a very good product, the captain seats come with a lever sought of thing which enhances the back support, good for long journeys.
Lumbar Support?
Old 18th March 2008, 16:26   #28
BHPian

Safari all the way..and if you do manage to get the 3.0 then its a steal for the price of little above 7 lacks. Great looks, good comfort and a neat engine.
Old 19th March 2008, 09:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Will check that out..........

Quote:
Yes. 3.0L

Please check with the dealer if the 2.6 CRDe is being replaced with the 2.2. Heard it now sold as 2.2i.
Hai, thanks for that pointer........ missed that out.

When I talked to the Dealer, Punjab Motors, they had some stocks of the 2.6, said new ones would be 2.2, don't know if they'd continue with 2.6, will again check that out.

One of our friends went all the way, Ahmedabad to Kedar / Badari on a Tevara, 6 people, 3500 KM on the ODO, relatively new. Had 3 of them driving non stop, they we very happy with the new version and reported a mileage of 15.5.km/ltr. That's pretty good, if we consider the 1500 KM odd hilly run from Haridwar and up, with a 6 ppl load.

This is the second time this business family is buying a Tevara; last one, 3 years, did heavy duty lugging 4 wheeler Batteries in and around Ahmedabad, my friends market/ distribute car/automobile batteries. After the trip this truck would also be put to cargo use after removing the last row jump seats.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 19th March 2008 at 10:05.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:36   #30
BHPian

Quote:
For Safari LX:

Also, what will the upgrade to the tubeless tyres cost ?

I understand that keyless entry and music system also need to be added. Am assuming that'll cost me around 15-20K or so.

And then, there's the rear view mirror camera. But that's sometime down the line.

Guess that should cover primary requirements. Let me know if I missed something.
hey sudhir,

the lx now comes with tubeless tyres as standard.

keyless entry can range from 2.5k to 15k depending on what you want and lets not even go down th ICE road . for a basic setup - put away about 15-18k. the safari cabin is huge and you need something with a little body or else it all sounds very hollow and weak.

reverse camera is surprisingly not that expensive - about 8.2 to 8.5 k for one with a 7" lcd and infra red camera.

hope it helps.

psst.... buy the safari lx!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks