Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2008, 09:10   #1
BHPian

Sumo Grande GX or Scorpio DX or Safari LX

The choices below are from a pure price point. All of them more or less around 8.3-8.5L OTR in Chennai.

Sumo Grande GX
Scorpio DX
Safari LX 4x2

Of these, I've taken a mini test drive only of Grande GX. Found the gears a bit hard. Other than that, not much to comment on it. May need to take it out for a longer spin, but then may consider buying even without further ado.

The primary concerns happen to be that it is v1 in that stable. And, the general opinion that leaf spring suspension in the rear may not be all that great.

I understand Scorpio may also have leaf spring suspension. Site seems to say that rear is coil spring. Can someone clarify ?

Have seen the Safari LX variant. Love the looks from outside.

And, I need to get a vehicle sooner or later. Can't wait for anything more than a month.

Primary requirements are (in no particular order):
The convenience of being more than a 5 seater - may rarely be put to use, but nevertheless want to have it as an option
Easy to handle, Good ride
A/C definitely needs to be good
Judicious on the wallet
Safety
And, all the jazz as much as possible

Any suggestions ? I don't mind buying a low end variant and upgrading as long as its possible and warranty doesn't become void.

FWIW, my yearly travel may not exceed 5000-6000km (mostly within city, with 1or2 long trips amounting to 1000 kms), still M/SUVs with Diesel option is what I'm looking for.

Plan to have the vehicle for at least 5 years.
Old 14th March 2008, 11:47   #2
BHPian

Safari Hands down
surpasses all the other in everthing u mentioned and more over the sumo will sooner or later become a taxi

Judicious on the wallet
Safety
Old 14th March 2008, 11:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio os Safari depending on which one you like best. Grande is not even in contention here.
Old 14th March 2008, 11:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not Safari 3.0 DICOR LX ? You will get really great discount, 7.5L OTR and that too EX model

And then if you want more power come back to TBHP and search for a thread by Steeroid.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why not Safari 3.0 DICOR LX ? You will get really great discount, 7.5L OTR and that too EX model

And then if you want more power come back to TBHP and search for a thread by Steeroid.

don't think it is available anymore
Old 14th March 2008, 12:17   #6
BHPian

I would be against the Grande as it will probably suffer from the patented technology of Tata wherein they treat their initial customers as R&D mules.

Scorpio is too boxy for me.

So it will be Safari. Now 2.2 or 3.0 would be a personal choice as well as availability of the 3.0. Maybe your dealer will have some 3.0 in stock and if he does, you will be offered a good discount.
Old 14th March 2008, 12:46   #7
BHPian

Between Scorpio, Safari and Sumo Grande- if you are mostly travelling with 5 or less people- anyday Safari is better in almost all the aspects including, power, pickup, looks, features, driveability, comfort. But if you are travelling with more people then Sumo will be a better option.
However, see that the dealer around your place is having a good workshop for any after sales issues.
Old 14th March 2008, 13:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

if you are looking for city slick driving and Judicious on the wallet constraint, then Scorpio is the best bet..its torque is really addictive....take a test drive of the 2.6slx and the 2.2vlx..you ll love it..
Old 14th March 2008, 14:01   #9
BHPian

For Safari LX:

Will it be possible to get roof mounted rear a/c on LX safari version as an add-on without voiding warranty ? Also, does roof mounted a/c require an extra compressor (layman speak) or is it just that it's an extra outlet ?

Does the EX/VX versions with roof mounted a/c have an extra compressor for the same ?

I remember someone saying that such add-ons cost Rs.16K, though the warranty angle was not covered in that discussion.

Also, what will the upgrade to the tubeless tyres cost ?

I understand that keyless entry and music system also need to be added. Am assuming that'll cost me around 15-20K or so.

And then, there's the rear view mirror camera. But that's sometime down the line.

Guess that should cover primary requirements. Let me know if I missed something.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes 3.0 l safari is available,may be old stock.JK did you go for the 2.2.ex then,lol.I would prefer the 2.2 for more refinement or the grande for the face in the crowd feeling i get for the next few months.Still 2.2 safari is the most favoured.
ram
Old 14th March 2008, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

Is this still available? i thought it was off the market. the EX @ 7.5L OTR makes it a steal right?
Old 14th March 2008, 15:13   #12
BANNED

Safari Dicor any day guys.

The 3L that we have is a power house.

Maybe The Grande for the space and the money.

Certianly not the scorpio for any reason.
Old 14th March 2008, 15:14   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirlp View Post
For Safari LX:

Will it be possible to get roof mounted rear a/c on LX safari version as an add-on without voiding warranty ? Also, does roof mounted a/c require an extra compressor (layman speak) or is it just that it's an extra outlet ? Not sure about warranty. No extra compressor

Does the EX/VX versions with roof mounted a/c have an extra compressor for the same ? No extra compressor

I remember someone saying that such add-ons cost Rs.16K, though the warranty angle was not covered in that discussion.

Also, what will the upgrade to the tubeless tyres cost ? EX?VX comes with tubeless for 2.2L

Guess that should cover primary requirements. Let me know if I missed something.
Get bumpers painted, ask dealer to do it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Yes 3.0 l safari is available,may be old stock.JK did you go for the 2.2.ex then,lol.I would prefer the 2.2 for more refinement or the grande for the face in the crowd feeling i get for the next few months.Still 2.2 safari is the most favoured.
ram
Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
Is this still available? i thought it was off the market. the EX @ 7.5L OTR makes it a steal right?
Dont think its manufactured anymore now. But some dealers has stocks like Tata dealer at Tvm.

rumor: heard 3L can be tuned to 160bhp.
Old 15th March 2008, 08:50   #14
BHPian

Great thread. Just pondering about this question.
Well there seems to be overwhelmig Safari fans in the forum.

Can someone tell why scorpio is not good?

I may go for the Grande afterall this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Safari Hands down
surpasses all the other in everthing u mentioned and more over the sumo will sooner or later become a taxi

Judicious on the wallet
Safety
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Safari Dicor any day guys.

The 3L that we have is a power house.

Maybe The Grande for the space and the money.

Certianly not the scorpio for any reason.
Old 15th March 2008, 09:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Against handling issues, space at rear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks