Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2008, 22:43   #31
BHPian

You can try Patiala and Chandigarh for Gypsy King.It's very difficult to get from Delhi.Actually i bought one 2001 MPFI from Chandigarh last year and it's giving me pretty good mileage of about 10-12 kmpl.I got it for 1.90 and it was in very good conditon and actually we took it to Manali-Leh-Kargil-Jammu-Delhi-Kochi without any problem.
Old 30th March 2008, 00:48   #32
BHPian

Chandigarh has a weekly used car bazaar, where in you can find real good deals.
There are hundreds of cars to choose from. If I am not wrong, it is held on the road leading to Panchkula on every Sunday. Bhpians from Chandigarh would be able to correct me.
susan3004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2008, 10:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I cant find any reason why anyone would want a 4speed gearbox.
1 less gear to play with buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Gurkha should be in my hands on April 10th. They need to take it to Trivandrum fist for RTO approval since it is the first vehicle in Kerala. I hate the fact that my *New* car will have over 2000 kms on the odo when i get it. Drive from Indore to Trivandrum !!. I asked them if they could send it by Truck and I would gladly pay for the cost of trucking it to kerala but they said they couldn't due to some union issues.

Anyways, I am looking forward to getting it.
Where is the vehicle manufactured? How much did it cost you? What engine? I seem to be lost here!
Old 30th March 2008, 13:45   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Chandigarh has a weekly used car bazaar, where in you can find real good deals.
There are hundreds of cars to choose from. If I am not wrong, it is held on the road leading to Panchkula on every Sunday. Bhpians from Chandigarh would be able to correct me.
Yeah,we bought the gypsy from the Car bazar and i feel it's good place to buy.Most of the dealers are nice and you can bargain heavily too...
Old 30th March 2008, 14:10   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S600BENZ View Post
Bought a 2008 White color Gypsy King yesterday. It has about 1820 on the clock and is MH registered. Cost me 5.05.
..........r
Congrats Buddy on getting your dream machine. I can understand how you must be feeling....

Go for all the mods suggested except for the PS. There is NO use of a PS in Gypsy.. especially in offroad situations. I offroad regularly and can safely say that the Non-PS of Gypsy is very very good...

Do post some pics man..
Old 31st March 2008, 01:07   #36
BHPian

Still not able to find any Gypsy king MPFi in delhi. Going to chandigarh will not be possible for me in the coming months. Guess i'll have to wait for a few more months to find a set of wheels(read gypsy king mpfi) for a resonable price.(thats cause family wanna buy the swift dzire!!). But do keep me posted of any deals that you might come across.

Regards.
Old 31st March 2008, 09:36   #37
BHPian

@Khan Sultan.
Thanks so much for the suggestion about the PS. Just wanted to inform you that most of my usage i.e almost 95% will be on road. So keeping that in mind and that broader Tyres will be fitted do you think it is a good idea to get the PS?
Old 31st March 2008, 10:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S600BENZ View Post
Just wanted to inform you that most of my usage i.e almost 95% will be on road. So keeping that in mind and that broader Tyres will be fitted do you think it is a good idea to get the PS?
From my experience, the regular steering of the Gypsy is a gem. I have broad tyres and have NO issues even in the slow bangalore traffic. Even though I offroad regularly, I still have to travel on highways, city & normal traffic and I find that the regular steering of the Gypsy is a breeze...

PS on Gypsy is a waste. spend that money on something else man.

That's my 2 cents...
Old 31st March 2008, 11:01   #39
BHPian

Hi

Hi Khan,

I am also searching for a used Gypsy in Blore. can you suggest me a good place to search for.. my price range is upto 3l. i beleive i can get a King for that much.
Old 31st March 2008, 21:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock View Post
Hi Khan,

I am also searching for a used Gypsy in Blore. can you suggest me a good place to search for.. my price range is upto 3l. i beleive i can get a King for that much.
PM me for details of a Gypsy King 97 single owner, carb 4wd and 5 speed GB
Old 6th January 2017, 17:14   #41
BHPian

Re: Gypsy MPFi

Reviving a very old thread......

I am thinking of looking for a old gypsy just to satisfy my desire of owning a 4x4 Jeep and also would want to do mild off-roading. (I had a Mahindra Thar New, enjoyed the Jeep feel and sold it after 2 years for specific reasons and bought a XUV500 to satisfy the family requirements)I cannot spend much money after investing money on this XUV buy recently.

Therefore this question.

Would a good condition 1.0L carb gypsy satisfy my desire for mild off-roading ? as I think I can hunt for a descent one with a small budget of around 1.6 L. When I say descent, it should be free off major rusting and should be in good running condition without any major problems anticipated in the immediate future.

Or

Should I only look for MPFI which I guess, I cannot get at this expected budget.

Kindly throw some light and your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Headers - I think you love Gypsy and you are in Chennai - I met you once in Jeep Thrills event at Pavinjur if you remember. If you could let me know, I can probably meet you first hand somewhere to understand this better and take your ideas as well. Thank you.

Swami
Old 8th January 2017, 07:11   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Gypsy MPFi

Gypsy Stories - Just sharing a review I wrote...

Exterior

A timeless design that will never go out of style. Ideal for a purist and one who is just looking for a bare bones, functional, utilitarian, runabout type vehicle.

Interior (Features, Space & Comfort)

Almost negligible in terms of comfort and conveniences. But takes on all sorts of modifications very well. Eminently customizable.

Engine Performance, Fuel Economy and Gearbox

The 1.3 litre Mpfi KING which develops 80BHP and comes with Front Disc brakes with brake boosters, is very much better than the old 970CC engine with drum brakes all around and non boosted brakes. If you dont load it with an AC and all the general mod-cons that people nowadays like, it will perform flawlessly and give you a lot of happy usage. Easy to maintain, easy to service. Basic bare bones performance and functionality.

Ride Quality & Handling

If you change the tyres on the stock rims, to nice radials, you will certainly see a lot of improvement. One can also add a leaf spring on either side at the rear or one can go for composite fibre leaf springs instead of the stock steel leaf springs.

But do not compare this vehicle to the modern SUVs and cars. It is not meant for comfort. It is meant for rough and tough hard usage and makes a perfect daily driver if you dont have high expectations.

Summing Up...

I have always loved the Gypsy. But I changed over to more comfortable vehicles around 12-13 years ago. Now having arrived at a "certain age" I ve bought myself another Gypsy - an old used one but this one is a King with the 1.3 Mpfi engine and Ive kept it more or less stock except for a few personalized small modifications - the biggest of these being the radial tyres on the stock rims and the addition of a center armrest cum storage box. It is now performing its duty as a bare bones runabout vehicle which I use very regularly on my office commute and for general joy riding.

I know Gypsies well because this is my third one - but the difference is that this one is a King where the other two I had were the older 970cc ones. And I dont expect anything more than it is meant to offer. Hence I enjoy it for what it is. It is absolutely superb in terms of functionality, going by what it was originally meant for and built for.

Dont expect modernity and all those frills, bells and whistles. If you do, you're bound to be disappointed.

This is a lovely second car to have around because it is super reliable and a perfect runabout for general usage. Capable of taking tremendous strain.

Areas of improvement

Frankly, only the updated Jimny can replace/ improve upon it.

However, if at all they want to do something to improve, modernise and sell it as an unique Lifestyle vehicle, then they have to put in some safety kit like ABS, Airbags (at least 2 in front), change the leaf springs to composite fibre leaves, change the stock tyres to decent All Terrain radials, modernize the cabin a little in terms of ergonomics and seat positions and storage options, change the seat belts to more modern, self retracting ones, introduce a Power steering and an AC and Heater, tune up the engine just a bit, to perhaps deliver around 100BHP instead of the present 80 BHP and they will be good to go. They could redesign the hard top to make it lower and flatter, to improve the centre of gravity a little, to compensate for the Power steering. Without Power Steering the current high top works because one does have to wrestle with the wheel, but with Power Steering the ease with which one can steer and change direction, does warrant a flatter top so that there is less risk of toppling. And yes, they just "could" reduce the vehicle's length by around 15-20mm so as to duck under the 4 metre mark. The shortened length will also definitely improve the vehicle's overall handling on account of it becoming a little smaller.

It will still be a bare bones basic functional utilitarian vehicle, but it will be a little more modern, if the above steps are taken!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks