Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 15:07   #61
Senior - BHPian

came across this thread and thought that I would add my comments

I own a safari and my cousin in kanpur has bought a new Pajero The one that costs about 20L.
We were in punjab and I drove his car and observed that the new safari 2.2 is much much more refined better value for money than the Pajero.
And I am not just talking in terms of looks I mean in just when the car is idling there is so much vibrations on the steering wheel and the gear shift that I couldn't even read the gear markings on the gear knobs.
I drove it and there was nothing spectacular about it and certainly not worth the amount the company charges for a vehicle that has been phased out from the developed markets.
Not to mention the cost of the after sales service and the spared that an owner of a Pajero would have to incur compared to that of a safari.

Now I am not saying that the pajero is a bad piece of machinery. These are just my views and just wanted to share what I observed.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:44   #62
BHPian

hi Harjeev! I rejected any idea of test drive of Pajero simply looking at its power/ torque figures for its price in comparison with Safari VTT . I test drove endeavour though and driving position I found more comfy in Safari than endeavour - too long clutch pedal and no seat height adjustment option was available. Safari is the best VFM and loaded SUV today on road.
Old 10th April 2008, 19:52   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The latest Autocar India has a comparision test between the Pajero 2.8 SFX and the Endevaour Thunder+. Worth reading if you want more info on the Pajero. I love the pajero and the article says that it handles better and is more comfy, but performance/pick up is terrible compared to the Thunder and possibly even the 2.2 dicor. This is a bit of concern for me as I like to drive FAST !!
Old 27th April 2008, 19:37   #64
BHPian

I bought a 2.8 GLX TDi , 2005 pajero done only 42000 Kms at @9L in Sept'07. Have been using it on the Highway, City and off roading since then.

Thoroughly satisfied with the performance, ride comfort etc.. and as for HM A.S.S useless as ever but in Mumbai can source each and everypart for the Pajero and at less than half the price what the dealer asks.

Only issue I have with it is that in 3rd gear need to be at higher speed/RPM otherwise get that stall like sound. Does not help much in city driving.

Regards interiors, ok they are outdated but atleast they remain in one place rather than some Safaris that I have seen which within a year start hang out from there orginal locations specially the plastic componnets.

Mileage for a 2 ton SUV is 9 city and 11-11.5 highway.
Old 28th April 2008, 11:42   #65
BHPian

From where did you pick up the pajero? I have decided to go for a pajero.

Recently got to test drive a brand new 2.2 VTT VX model which was bought by my cousins cousin, the car moves really well. And in 4x2 mode with AC and four heavy weights in the car, the car pulls up sharp gradients and muddy roads with ease. But the plastic pads were making lots of noise and the reverse camera fell off when we were riding in kerala roads. But the engine is superb, super silent and mileage is really good. Might not be one of the best engines around, but telco has done a brilliant job on the engine part. Gear shifting was super smooth.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:38   #66
BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2008 at 16:33.
m3_07 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th May 2008, 20:07   #67
BHPian

I have a 1990 model LWB pajero with manual transmission, four wheel drive with manual frewheeling hubs and limited slip differential. Also has dual airconditioners, power windows and a factory installed towing hook.

I have had this car for the past 3 years and it is real fun driving it. I have used it on the highway, and off road and its performance for a 18 year old car is very good.It gives me 11 KMPL to the diesel liter.

I have also driven my uncle's safari and I would prefer to drive the Pajero any day.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Used Pajero Vs New Safari-picture-453.jpg  

Used Pajero Vs New Safari-img_0207.jpg  

Old 5th May 2008, 20:02   #68
BHPian

Second hand Pajero or Safari (which version)

Hi Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am getting a 30000 KMs done Pajero. Though I love Pajero but I am a hesitant to commit to a used car (I have never bought a used car before). My considerations are KMs on odo, outdated design. The consideration: PAJERO!! with ABS Airbags. The body has some scratches, underbelly shows very minor scrapping and tyres would need replacement. I would be stretching my budget to about 14 Lacs (quoted for Aug-07 Pajero), given a choice I would not like to stretch budget.

The other choice is to go in for Safari 2.2 (new). I am not sure which version to go in for. I definitely want a 4x4 option but ABS/Airbags...may live without them (Please comment). My budget is 9.5 Lacs (Delhi registration). I am scared also with bad TASS stories and some users' experience with fit n finish and bad engine etc. I am also scared because of high speed handling challenges highlighted (calling it drunken bull etc).

I know, there was a thread sometime ago for Pajero v/s Safari but my dilemma has increased after reading that.

Please guide and help take a desicion.

Also recent Safari buyers, please tell me about discounts and freebies you managed. Any suggestions on color would also be welcome.

I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 5th May 2008, 22:33   #69
BANNED

a pajero cannot be compared to a safari. the pajero will last you a long time even after your kids grow up. every tata after 3 years makes you feel like you have been driving the same car for 30 years. they simply break down. i have always noticed most tatas come on sale after 3 years. i know 5 people who owned such cars gave them up and never went back to the brand.
Old 6th May 2008, 16:41   #70
BHPian

I am a TATA man...had a indigo & now own a safari. It is a choice after all!!

Rishi - 9.5 for a 4WD??? I suppose the basic 4WD in safari will be close to 10.5 to 11L

If you are willing to pay 14L for a used pajero, OLD MODEL, you might as well go in for a new pajero, which is more refined.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:36   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Rishi - 9.5 for a 4WD??? I suppose the basic 4WD in safari will be close to 10.5 to 11L
EX 4x4 should be in 10L territory in Delhi
Old 6th May 2008, 18:11   #72
Team-BHP Support

EX4x4 is 9.1L in Delhi Ex-showroom.
you can get 20K cash discount with almost no bargaining, but if you can pull strings and own a Tata already add another 10-15K discount.

Though a Pajero is more robust etc., I am a little wary of used cars.
What if a part fails and you have no warranty. Spares of safari are a little cheap and you can easily get 4 years total warranty which covers most of the critical parts.

I am told that a brand new pajero comes with a 1 year 20K kms warranty and you need to pay 11K for another 20K warranty.
Now this is seriously funny and shows lack of commitment on the part of the manufacturer towards the vehicle.
Old 6th May 2008, 18:17   #73
Senior - BHPian

A new TATA Safari would be a safer bet.

No doubt the Pajero is the King of off roaders BUT a second hand in good condition would be tougher to find.
Old 6th May 2008, 19:51   #74
BHPian

Well the Pajero is Aug-07 and the most recent model with ABS Airbags but downside is that it has done 30K KMs. Safari 4x4 EX (without ABS/Airbags/Leather and goodies) is close to 9 Lacs ex showroom in Delhi. I have been hinted at discount of 40-50K.
Old 11th May 2008, 08:11   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would buy a used car only if the previous owner can prove the service history. This is a good way to confirm that the odometer hasn't been rolled back or tampered with. Buy a used pajero only if you can verify the odometer and the service history of the car. 14 Lakhs is too much money to pay for a car if it becomes a lemon.

Personally I have only three gripes with the Pajero. Lack of power relative to competition, Middle row seats can be only used for two people since they have these huge arm-rests on either side. The funny paint scheme. Due to the lack of power they have a very high final drive ratio of 4.9. This results in the car running at 4000 rpm at 145 kmph in 5th gear wheras the Endy is at 3200 RMP at the same speed in 5th gear. If you do a lot of highway driving and like to go fast, then you will find it a pain to overtake in the Pajero. But if you are an easy driver then this is not an issue.

Other than these, I am a huge fan of the pajero.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks