Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 09:25   #76
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
a pajero cannot be compared to a safari. the pajero will last you a long time even after your kids grow up. every tata after 3 years makes you feel like you have been driving the same car for 30 years. they simply break down. i have always noticed most tatas come on sale after 3 years. i know 5 people who owned such cars gave them up and never went back to the brand.

Mr Jesal,

Your statment is grossly incorrect.

There are millions of members on this forum and across the world including me who own a Tata Safari for more over than 3 yrs.(mine is 2 yr old)

Every time we drive these cars we still feel like kids with new toy.

Safari never ceases to amaze us with its skills on road.

I dont deny Pajero is good car, but i have higher and better regards for a Safari.

The ride comfort and the passenger comfort in safari is matched by none so far.

Lets not down size a car company which has taken India into global presence.
Old 11th May 2008, 12:07   #77
BHPian

I agree to pavan kadam.

I owned a Tata safari turbo,then a scorpio for an year,then a Tata indigo marina and now a Tata safari 2.2vtt.

My brother owns a Tata safari for 3 years and my dad's brother owns 2 Tata safari one for 6 years and the other for 2 years.My brother in-law owned a Tata safari for 5years,sold it and owns another Tata safari for the last 1.5 years.
Old 29th May 2008, 13:00   #78
BHPian

i am thnking of a Safari LX 2.2 for now but few questions.

1) Can a roof ac be fixed on LX model with additional compressor like EX or VX model. Did anyone try this? How painful/costly is this?
2) Can ABS be fixed later on to a Safari?
Old 5th June 2008, 10:23   #79
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I am waiting for a reply to my earlier question, sorry for the spam.

Thanks,
Sunish
Old 5th June 2008, 11:52   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
i am thnking of a Safari LX 2.2 for now but few questions.

1) Can a roof ac be fixed on LX model with additional compressor like EX or VX model. Did anyone try this? How painful/costly is this?
2) Can ABS be fixed later on to a Safari?
The answers to question 1 is yes, but I would advise against it because its a major work.
As for ABS, don't even try going there.
I would suggest that you go for an EX if you will spend lot of time in the back seat.
As for ABS, I seriously do not know why is ABS/Airbags(which are safety features and not luxury features) offered only in the top end variants.
Why can't any variant buyer opt for these at an extra cost.
Tata was planning to do something like this(offering ABS/Airbags in any variant at a cost), but due to Nano-phoria all those plans are on the back burner.
Old 5th June 2008, 12:21   #81
BHPian

Thanks for your reply, slight confusion still remains. I am explaining that towards end of this post as that's the information i got from the showroom

I finally booked a Safari 2.2 LX. I thought of buying the EX but the extra 1.7 L compared to LX did not make sense to me, and since I am not planning to use this for long I decided to go for 2WD. And the new engine has enough power to do basic offroading, atleast it can take me to Kerala and back to Bangalore without much issues.

I am not sure of when i will get my car, but i am really thrilled, Thanks a lot to you all for patiently answering my questions. Sincerely appreciate this.

Regarding the AC, the showroom guys confirmed that tata safari comes with single compressor for AC on all models. Initially they confused me saying it comes with two compressors. And for about 15-25K i can get the Central ac done and if done at showroom/authorised center, they will give warranty. I will be driving the car most of the time, but sometimes car might be loaded with passengers and central AC did help and my old Safari was favorite for long hauls. But then the question remains how and who can do a good job.

I now need to buy few lil goodies to make my car better like music system, remote locking etc, but guess that can wait.

Regarding ABS and Airbags, I sincerely agree with you on this. These are luxury features now but they should not be. Guess government will have to bring in some rule like how seat belts got compulsory for the interest of public. I found ABS and EBD very useful but then the price i need to pay for that in Safari is near to 13L on road, and the depreciation is pretty high on this car so don't think it works out for me at this time.

And another irritant is that the showroom guys are really misguiding. When i asked for a VX model intially they were like, "Sir don't buy that model, its just fancy with DVD and LCD screen etc and the wheels can get jammed with ABS in it so you go for EX or LX. They also claim the maintenance is high on VX owing to the sophisticated goodies in it"

I wish Tata offered ABS and Airbags on all models at an additional cost. While Safari takes impact on front end collision to the maximum, Airbags reduces the risk to the passengers. But then if only wishes could come true !!!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 5th June 2008 at 13:03.
Old 5th June 2008, 13:06   #82
Team-BHP Support

The Central AC does not use an additional compressor, but an additional cooling coil. Tata Showroom can retrofit that definitely, but I doubt their competence for this mod.
This is the reason I was suggesting the EX model. As for maintenance, it will be same for VX and EX. Extra goodies won't mean additional problems. Suman has a VX and there have been no such "additional niggles" from his vehicles.

The Extra 1.7L is steep, but then you also get Fog Lamps. Body colored claddings and height adjustible seat.
This fixed outside from a good place will cost you around 50-60K, without beige interiors of course.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:33   #83
BHPian

Thanks buddy for the reply. I got some discounts and stuff so getting free body colored bumpers etc, fog lamps and sun film free of cost. height adjustable seat never really meant good for me.

Wish i could add ABS and EBD to my car
Old 5th June 2008, 18:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

Time to get the thread title edited.

Congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 6th June 2008, 13:26   #85
BHPian

Okie, the black baby was delivered yesterday evening and in good shape. The car pulls really good, so i think the demo car was a big failure which made me get confused.

Just waiting for the run in period to be over. So i can push it hard and enjoy the beast.

The body roll over is still a pain. Tata needs to work on this. I will post pics soon.

But the engine is really superb, with AC on always it moves as if its not on AC, so smooth. Just waiting for a long drive, and my confusion on what car is on hibernation for sometime from now I have some technical questions, i will post them in another thread.
Old 9th June 2008, 23:06   #86

Congrats buddy!
btw, what's the OTR price? heard it's revised.
Old 10th June 2008, 08:05   #87
BHPian

I got it for the old price since i paid full amount initially itself and dealer did not argue with me over the price hike. It seems the hike is about 32k. Not sure though
Old 10th June 2008, 12:46   #88
BHPian

Welcome to the club Suni boy!!

Another man being led into the safari club after much introspection. I did have a hunch sometime hoping that you would end up buying a safari though.

Ride safe & have lots of fun!!

Gents: Any idea if the 2.2VTT would go for a change over post august??
Old 10th June 2008, 21:23   #89
BHPian

Thanks buddy, your hunch was right
Old 10th June 2008, 23:18   #90
BHPian

welcome to the club to reclaim your life sunishsamuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks