Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:01   #61
Senior - BHPian

@gops >> congrats on your new safari. Wish you many miles of fun on the run. do post your regular user reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Hi! which dealer offered you all this great deal. Please, let me know. thanks.
wasan motors mumbai

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 23rd April 2008 at 16:06.
Old 23rd April 2008, 16:44   #62
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Gopz. See if you can get the extended warranty for free.
Old 7th November 2008, 18:23   #63
BHPian

Used safari

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a used safari as a project suv. What would be a fair price to pay for a 2000-2001 clunker? I will probably r and r the motor/running gear. Is it legal to fit a current 2.2 to a older car? will r.t.o object? any advice would be appreciated

regards

Last edited by peugeot96 : 7th November 2008 at 18:28. Reason: spelling
Old 7th November 2008, 20:08   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peugeot96 View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a used safari as a project suv. What would be a fair price to pay for a 2000-2001 clunker? I will probably r and r the motor/running gear. Is it legal to fit a current 2.2 to a older car? will r.t.o object? any advice would be appreciated

regards
Where will you procure a 2.2 engine from?????
Old 18th December 2008, 09:25   #65
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to go in for an old SAFARI. One of the earliest ones, because my budget is meagre.

Have a mechanical bent of mind, so don't mind getting my hands and clothes dirty and making the mechanics my best friends

Shortlisted 2 98 model ones. The first one a light blue one looks like its nearly been to hell and back. All the interior fittings are loose and seem like someone took them out and put them back. The engine was quiet for more than 5 hours, but was still hot when I touched the radiator (means engine work in the offing) The owner is quoting 2,10,000 and my offer was 1,50,000. Went upto 1,60,000 and walked away from the deal. Feeling a lump in my throat but hope I did't make a mistake.

There is another one, this time maroon, haven't seen it, but reportedly is in awesome condition and has alloys even. The owner is quoting 80,000 to clear the loan and 1,15,000 in the hand for him. The broker says he'll swing the deal for 1,75,000. The wait is on. The owner is a busy bloke and does not have time to sit down and dispose off the vehicle.

My logic is this. A brand new vehicle would cost say 1,50,000 downpayment and 5,000 per month EMI, think of this, an old one at 1,50,000 and 5,000 set aside for repair and maintenance every month. All I need is the looks and the comfort. (Hope its not a grapes are sour story)
Old 18th December 2008, 10:29   #66
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
I'm planning to go in for an old SAFARI. One of the earliest ones, because my budget is meagre.
You can also keep searching and may find a Limited Edition Tata Safari that came out in 2003. Came across one around the time was deciding on buying a Safari. Of course it had the looks, and comfort was over the top

Quote:
http://www.tata.com/company/releases...id=kXxlul4UM9g=

Tata Engineering today announced the launch of a limited range of 600 Tata Safaris to be offered on a first-come first-served basis. Positioned as a premium sports utility vehicle, the Tata Safari Limited Edition 2003 is a lifestyle statement that defines new standards in on-road comfort, style and entertainment.

The vehicle comes equipped with never-before-seen features in cars made in India. These include the Sony PlayStation 2; 10 audio and video CD changer; two front headrest integrated LCD monitors; a 12 litre refrigerator-cum-warmer; and a 2.5-inch colour LCD-based reverse guide system, among a host of features which come as standard fare on existing models of the Safari.

The Sony PlayStation 2 video-gaming system doubles up as a DVD player, while the 10 VCD/ACD changer allows passengers in the rear to watch movies, or to listen to music through a five-speaker sound system. The 2.5-inch colour LCD screen of the reverse guide system on the centre console displays a 130-degree unobstructed view, while reversing, through a waterproof camera strategically located on the rear bumper. The 12 litre refrigerator-cum-food warmer, which comes fitted with a thermoelectric chip, maintains the temperature of food and beverages to suit one’s preference.

The seats are upholstered in premium quality leather, with front captain seats and a central armrest for the rear seat. A matte-silver finish centre console, a new-look instrument panel and an aluminium-finish gear knob complement the interiors of the Tata Safari Limited Edition. New decals, stylized OVRMs, 15-inch alloy wheels, body-coloured side cladding and bumpers add to the overall aesthetics of this special Safari.
Also in 2001 a limited edition Safari was brought out.

May be you can also look out for the 135 bhp petrol Safari, may be the economics come out the same, due to less maintenance but higher fuel bill.

Last edited by adc : 18th December 2008 at 10:37.
Old 19th March 2009, 19:18   #67
BHPian

Hi Folks,
A newbie around this part of the town. Own an Alto 2004 model in which i have toured South india a lot . iAlways been in Love with the beast , didn't want to invest in a new one since i'm trying to clear a huge housing loan.

Point me to the correct thread in case i'm posting to a older\incorrect thread .

Planning to pick up a used 2004, Tata Safari 4x2 LX which has clocked around 79K for about 3.3-3.4 . The seller is quoting 4.

I know people have shouted at the top of their lungs ... do not touch .... what to do !! , following my heart and not my head

Any inputs on things i should watch out for, recommented price etc ??

Thanks a ton
Jerry
Old 19th March 2009, 19:55   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I would say that one advantage in getting the older 2000 cc TCIC engine Safaris is that the power train has been tried and tested for millions of miles on Sumos. I think it will be much cheaper to maintain than the newer powertrains. The disadvantage though is that it is underpowered for the size of the vehicle.

I think, if you are getting it for a good price, go for it.
Old 19th March 2009, 20:53   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to pick up a used 2004, Tata Safari 4x2 LX which has clocked around 79K for about 3.3-3.4 .
Get it, if it has Bosch Fuel Bump and tyres are good. Also make sure the speedo reeding is true. A good mechanic can confirm it easily.
Old 19th March 2009, 23:09   #70
Senior - BHPian

For certain reasons I'm beginning to get drawn to the older TCICs as well!
a) Pretty tough engines. A car thats done 70-80k should be good for another 80, at least?
b) Cheeeeap
c) Available - I just cannot seem to find used 2.2s - have been looking for months now!

Also - need to run it as an alternative "bus" for our+other kids - so a driver may do 2 trips a day on the car, and us only over weekends. Not too comfortable handing a new-ish 2.2 over to a driver. From what I hear, the FE will be 9-10 in not very crowded conditions - ?

Does a decent 05 for 3-3.5 seem like a good target ?
Old 20th March 2009, 00:01   #71
BHPian

Guys,

Before buying any used TCIC safari's make sure to check the following:

1. The worn out tyres may cost you 20000 - 25000 to replace them all
2. Oil leaking may cost you from 1000 to 10000 depending on the work
3. Fuel leaking may cost you 2000 to 3000 (Calibration)
4. Suspension work may cost you from 3000 to 10000 depending on the condition of the vehicle
5. Worn out clutch may cost you 6000 to 9000 to replace
6. Weak timing belt replacement cost you 1500, if all belts are worn out it may cost you 6000
7. A failed brake booster roughly cost you 4000 for TMC work or 12000 for replacement depending on the work
8. Wheel bearings and brake pads/disk replacement cost you from 2000(bads only) to 5000
9. Gearbox work may cost you from 2000 to 5000
10. AC Service and gas topup may cost you from 3000 to 5000. A new compressor available from 9000 to 27000
11. And don't forget to check the working condition of the turbocharger as a replacement unit cost you 25000

For every 5-10000 kms run you need oil/filter change service which roughly cost you 2500 - 3000

For every 20k-40K changing the gear/PS/ [FONT=Arial]Differential[/FONT] oils, wipers & coolant may cost you 5000 to 10000

Check this thread for more details: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ance-cost.html

But don't worry, its very much cheaper than owning any other SUV. You should be careful before buying a used safari. A well maintained TCIC safari is a god, it will never let you on the road at any time.

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 20th March 2009 at 00:18.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Valuable info. I've heard about the turbocharger costs - how common are those failures ?
Old 20th March 2009, 11:55   #73
BHPian

Thanks folks, will update once i inspect the old bull this weekend based on the your inputs !
Old 20th March 2009, 12:16   #74
BHPian

All of the above SAFARI failures will happen one day - because its TATA, but at that time your will own a Hybrid Safari!!!

If the safari is well maintained, these failures wont happen except the consumables. Be sure to check the condition of the vehicle specially Brake Vacuum, Turbo Fan, Engine Pickup, A/C Compressor condition, Fuel Leak, Oil Leak, Coolant leak, Radiator damage, Smoke level etc...

Don't buy a Oil drinking or accident vehicle. This article may help you: Tips to buy a Used Car in india | TATA Safari Club.com

Last edited by ibm_jennifer : 20th March 2009 at 12:26.
Old 20th March 2009, 14:33   #75
BHPian

Could you guys recomment a mechanic friend who could inspect the vehicle for me ? . I know a couple of good petrol wallas but not diesel. I can surely reimburse him for the expenses\services .

Most Viewed