Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 17:57   #1
BHPian

New Safari or Used Safari-Help EDIT: Booked New LX now

I am Gopal from Chennai, working for an IT services company. I have been browsing through TBHP and learning a lot on the automotive side, especially on Safari! I am currenlty planning for a Safari and have a dilema whether to go for a New Safari or an Used one (less than 4 years old).

I have budget for a new LX model (8 Lacs). However if I need to plan for additional accessories (like ICE, Alloy Wheels, Reverse camera,etc) I need to wait for a month or two and then do it month on month basis.

On the other hand I had a look at a 2004 Aug Safari, which has done close to 70000 Kms and costs Rs 350000. I might have to spend another 50,000 onTinkering, painting & suspension works

Please help me out on taking a decision on this!

P.S: Hopefully would join the Safari club very soon

Thanks!
Old 1st April 2008, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Blindly go for the new one. Accessories can be added stage by stage as when you feel comfortable. Maintenance will be a problem for the 70000 km old truck if you are going for an old one.

PS: Hopefully i will also join the club soon :-)
Old 1st April 2008, 18:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hello Gopal. Buy the new one. You'll get a beast of an engine and a more modern product. Wait a bit and then go bonkers on the ICE and alloys department.
Old 1st April 2008, 18:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

It should always be a new 2.2 safari buddie.Its an altogether different machine in the views of the owners.
Old 1st April 2008, 18:49   #5
BHPian

New one all the way. The old 2004 is a 2 ltr engine & not comparable with the current one.
Make a one year plan for ICE, alloys, camera, sensor, tyres, etc...That's what i did even though it was a different car.
Old 1st April 2008, 18:55   #6
BHPian

If you feel you have to go for a used one try to look for a 3.0 Dicor only.
Old 1st April 2008, 19:23   #7
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
If you feel you have to go for a used one try to look for a 3.0 Dicor only.
It is a no brainer - You dont buy a 2004 Safari with 70000 km with no manufacter warranty left at whatever price you get.

My side story:

With a small child now, my days of 2-wheeler [Bullet] intrepid travel was over and as such looked up for a car to continue with my passion - travel.

I had a budget of an Indica [that was my choice if no Safari] but Safari was what I aspired for like many of us. I did also look for a 2005-2006 Dicor Safari and at 5.5 lacs I was getting one. On the other hand I had the option of going almost broke but get the brand new 2.2 VTT.

Despite all the horror stories about not buying TATA product or a new product whereby TATA uses first customers as test studies [which was true in the past], something told me that this one is different - this 2.2 VTT signifies the new resurgent TATA Motors. And then witin 2 days of its launch had the VTT in my garage for next day 2600 km North Bengal tour. Never regret the decision till now having done 8000 km.

What the collateral damage I suffered then for going over budget?

See the VTT-TMT pictures in my profile. It is as stock as it can be. For the first 4 months it had nothing, no ICE, no extra bulbs, no seat covers even - till now only the seat covers are done though this should have been done the first day itself. ICE will fixed this month. And also the fog lights next. No Hella just the original fog lights that come with the EX model.

Of course the frequent lunch/dinner at Kwality or Mainland China has stopped, still using the basic nokia mobile, and my father still wonders how can someone be passionate about driving and become poor willingfully!!!

Go for the 2.2 VTT, it is as good in the city as it is on the highway. All the bells and whistles can be done latter on as you feel comfortable.

And even if you still would like to buy an used Safari, go for the Dicor preferably the 2006 model or if you are lucky an early 2007 model with some years of the 4 years manufacturer's warranty available.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It is a no brainer - You dont buy a 2004 Safari with 70000 km with no manufacter warranty left at whatever price you get.

My side story:

With a small child now, my days of 2-wheeler [Bullet] intrepid travel was over and as such looked up for a car to continue with my passion - travel.

I had a budget of an Indica [that was my choice if no Safari] but Safari was what I aspired for like many of us. I did also look for a 2005-2006 Dicor Safari and at 5.5 lacs I was getting one. On the other hand I had the option of going almost broke but get the brand new 2.2 VTT.

Despite all the horror stories about not buying TATA product or a new product whereby TATA uses first customers as test studies [which was true in the past], something told me that this one is different - this 2.2 VTT signifies the new resurgent TATA Motors. And then witin 2 days of its launch had the VTT in my garage for next day 2600 km North Bengal tour. Never regret the decision till now having done 8000 km.

What the collateral damage I suffered then for going over budget?

See the VTT-TMT pictures in my profile. It is as stock as it can be. For the first 4 months it had nothing, no ICE, no extra bulbs, no seat covers even - till now only the seat covers are done though this should have been done the first day itself. ICE will fixed this month. And also the fog lights next. No Hella just the original fog lights that come with the EX model.

Of course the frequent lunch/dinner at Kwality or Mainland China has stopped, still using the basic nokia mobile, and my father still wonders how can someone be passionate about driving and become poor willingfully!!!

Go for the 2.2 VTT, it is as good in the city as it is on the highway. All the bells and whistles can be done latter on as you feel comfortable.

And even if you still would like to buy an used Safari, go for the Dicor preferably the 2006 model or if you are lucky an early 2007 model with some years of the 4 years manufacturer's warranty available.

Keep us posted on what you decide.
That is as straight from the heart as one can get. Gopal, you have your answer. Go in for the 2.2VTT. No one in their right frame of mind will advice you to go in for a 2nd hand Tata Safari with no warranty left.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:32   #9
BHPian

@adc : Great passion at your end, exactly how a car lover should be

@gopal: No brainer , the new Safari it is. You do not need the accessories to highlight the Safari from day 1. It stands out on its own.
Old 1st April 2008, 21:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

@adc that is something straight from the heart as sumit has said
@gops As others have said but I would say it again go for a new one the LX if you have the budget. Dont think

everything else can be put later plus I don't think that just for adding the ICE & the accessories, going in for a 2nd hand (2 liter TCIC) would be good decision. This is considering that you have a budget which allows you to go in for a new car. No offense meant to anybody.
However if you are getting a mint condition 3.0 or (chances are slim) 2.2 VTT that would a good option to consider. But if I were in your place it would be straight from the showroom, brand new 2.2 for me.
Old 1st April 2008, 21:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Your words are so inspiring for people like me who are aspiring to buy a safari.
Old 1st April 2008, 22:46   #12
BHPian

No one is suggesting to be a 2nd buyer.
Does it mean that you won't find any buyer after 4 years for your Safari?
Old 1st April 2008, 23:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Almost the same exp for me like adc! expect that my other choice was Getz CRDi

Why new? Awesome engine, better built quality. 2 year,75k warranty and hence peace of mind. Get the extended warranty too and you are on safe side.
Old 1st April 2008, 23:36   #14
BHPian

Buy the new Safari that is an awesome choice.
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:10   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW77 View Post
No one is suggesting to be a 2nd buyer.
Does it mean that you won't find any buyer after 4 years for your Safari?
Interesting observation.

Others, comments ?

So, how is the going rate for second hand safari in comparison to other models/make ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks