Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 14:32   #16
BHPian

Just pick up a good 2nd hand MM540/550 4WD. As you are in coorg maintaining a mahindra jeep would be easy as there would be ample workshops where you could fix things if anything goes wrong also mahindra jeeps are easy to maintain and part too cost less. make sure u pick up the 4X4 []
Old 10th April 2008, 14:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...major-4x4.html

if you find a nice long hour of free time check out this thread, you have tons of inputs from the 'No-To-Cars' Gurus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Do i have any other choises guys?and whats the difference between the MM540 and 550??sorry but my knowledge is very limited.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:56   #18
BHPian

You should think serious about buying a 540/550 (they both are similar in look). they are not as comfirtable as any car but certainly they are very easy to maitain and within your budget. Try to have it one which comes with 75 BHP engine (military used one), Fit good seats, redial tyres and vroooom vrooooom to go for any kind of tarrain. I think Jeep gives a hell lot of liberty and freedom to go anywhere. Remember that to enjoy it's ride, you have to fall in love with Jeep.

Decide yourself...!!
Old 10th April 2008, 15:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...and whats the difference between the MM540 and 550?...
If I remember right, the key difference was 4-speed gbox in MM540 and 5-speed gbox in MM550.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
If I remember right, the key difference was 4-speed gbox in MM540 and 5-speed gbox in MM550.
Blue Thunder, 2004 plus model of MM550 which are being supplier to Army are coming with the 5-speed gbox. Otherwise both 540 550 were having the same gbox.
Old 10th April 2008, 16:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

The M&M 540/550 are great vehicles, once with 5 speed gear box will do the speeds you mentions with ease or go in for the bolero, with 2WD, it comfortable and has power steering so driving in B'lore wont be a problem. Gypse is great but again the spare are hard to find as they have to ordered every time something goes wrong even for small parts, and also fuel bills will be quit high.
Old 10th April 2008, 16:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Do i have any other choises guys?and whats the difference between the MM540 and 550??sorry but my knowledge is very limited.
550 is the same jeep as 540 with military specs.
If you are out to buy a new jeep from the showroom, you will get a 540.
Alternatively, you can pick up 550from one of the Army auctions or the dealers who are into buying from Army auctions and selling them in the market after repairing them.
Old 10th April 2008, 18:57   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Difference in 540/550 is purely in the seating capacity for tax purposes. No difference from a consumer perspective. These are your options in your budget.

If you need 4x4.

Maruthi Gypsy. Great four-wheel-drive vehicle but expensive to run(petrol) and parts tend to be more expensive.
Mahindra Major: Open Jeep with little comforts. Not even doors but a very capable four by four.
Mahindra MM540. You may find a good one in Coorg, but 5-speed ones are hard to find.
Mahindra Invader: open Jeep with some creature comforts and doors.
Mahindra Bolero: Full Metal body and decent creature comforts.

If you don't need four wheel drive you can consider the Sumo.

If you get a used Mahindra MM540/Major/Invader make sure it is the 5-speed make sure it has the five forward gears, other-wise it is a pain to drive on highways. If you get the 5-speed version of these vehicles you can drive at about 110 kmph on the highways. Only the more recent gypsies came with the 5-speed so check that as well.
Old 10th April 2008, 19:49   #24
BHPian

@everyone: thanks for the inputs.sorry i dont know how to quote multiple posts else would have done it individually.

So right now i should either go in for a 5speed jeep which is the MM540/550 or try a bolero.at what price can i hope to find a decent bolero and an MM540/550??also which are the likepy places where i can find a good vehicle?i do not know anyone who gets into these army auctions
Old 10th April 2008, 22:58   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
So right now i should either go in for a 5speed jeep which is the MM540/550 or try a bolero.at what price can i hope to find a decent bolero and an MM540/550??also which are the likepy places where i can find a good vehicle?i do not know anyone who gets into these army auctions
MM540/550 with 5 -speed are hard to come by. Don't rule out the Invader with the 5-Speed.

I have seen 2001 to 2002 Bolero's selling for 2 to 2.5 lakhs. A benefit of the earlier Boleros' is that they came with the XD3P 2.5 liter peugot engine. Milage is lower than the DI engines that come now, but it is a high reving diesel and has better pick up speed compared to the DI engine.
Old 15th April 2008, 10:39   #26
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

sincerely I wish I had known - I would have happily sold my Bolero to you if you had of course liked it.
anyway, for what it is worth, you might want to read my long term ownership review of the Bolero Sportz. And the one on the Gypsy.

Ive used both and apart from pure off road, the Bolero is more than capable of anything the Gypsy is, and with the added advantage of being cheaper to run and use.

The only other recommendation I would make is the Normal Standard Soft top Mahindra MM 550 DP - 5 speed with 4WD. You should use the standard issue jeep tyres HT75 R 15 because these are the only ones that wil pull you out of the deep slushy bits in Coorg.

When my dad was planting there, there were several occasions when he got stuck quite badly and only the estate tractor could pull him out!

cheers

shankar
Old 15th April 2008, 17:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just need a vehicle which can run at speeds of atleast 100kms/hr on highways since i would be travelling a lot to and fro bangalore.I would prefer something that is also light on fuel and pocket.
Go for a brand new Major 4x4(around 5Lac OTR) and you will be all set on highways and offroads

It wont hurt your pocket and comes with a 3 yrs warranty

Only thing it doesnt have is the AC,i dunno what kind of weather/humidity you guys have down there.

Maybe you can have doors and AC fitted if badly needed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks