Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2008, 07:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
SX4 is basically an crossover offering ......
its body is designed to handle such stuff. In fact all the Xover designs will fit you perfectly as they are designed for mild off-roading, definitely more than farm track driving.
SX4 is light and will fare better than 2WD Scorpio in all slushy conditions and four people can easily take the SX4 out of most situations. Though SX4 is disguised as a city/Highway car it is not. Fusion is another example of such a car.
Apart from all this in the Indian context, buying the SX4 over Scorpio, you get boatloads of safety accessories and other features. I am not trying to sell you the SX4 but just trying to make the statement that SX4 is good enough, it can handle. If that's your first preference then buy it.
Very well put, arunmur. I agree with everything you've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
But whether it can take that testing road condition that too without 4x4 in himalaya is questionable!
sgmuser, in the 'car' category (as opposed to MUV/SUV), the SX4 and the Fusion are two of the most suitable vehicles around.
The good GC and large wheels are just what is needed for those roads. 4WD option is not required at all frequently, although my personal view is that it always affords you more safety margin on those bad (invariably untarred) roads. That having been said, less than five percent of the tourist trade is using 4WD enabled vehicles in the mountains!
Old 13th May 2008, 04:38   #47
BHPian

I agree, if you compare Fusion with SX4, SX4 is more capable with its 16inch big wheels and usual Maruti's reliability. When you compare with Scorpio, no need to say, Scorpio scores everywhere except cruising/ride comfort on highways. This is my personal experience.
Old 3rd June 2008, 13:25   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

you must write to their Marketing Head as also their President
about these things- I have also done so about my suggestions

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
And here I have a complaint: that Mahindras haven't got their 'standard 4WD package' quite right.
I did not want power windows. (I offered to pay for the power windows but requested that manual ones be fitted in my vehicle).
I wanted a rear glass defogger, and said I'd pay the extra amount involved.
They would not oblige. Considering that each 4WD is made to order, I think these are small issues that can be easily accomodated.
Mahindra however feel differently and were unwilling to change anything from their 'standard' package for 4WD vehicles.
Also, colour choice is limited to only 4 colours, for the 4WD variant.
Keeping in mind that this is the most expensive variant by far, I thought it a bit of a shame to be denied these 'small' personal preferences.
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:39   #49
BANNED

sgmuser,shankar.balan,anupmathur.

Guys is see only you 3 guys fighting it out.

Where's Mr Shadow?

Lets not have another thread with Safari v/s Scorpio fight going on.

There are numerous Safari owners on T-BHP as compared to Scorpio, That is one indicator.

Every month i've noticed atleast 3 BHP'ians posting their new Safari and atlest 2 of them posting about the Safari booking and lots of BHP'ians posting their long term ownership reviews about Safari's.

Its a known fact that a Safari is the most desirable SUV.

sgmuser says "When you compare with Scorpio, no need to say, Scorpio scores everywhere except cruising/ride comfort on highways. This is my personal experience."

Isnt this a main factor while buying an SUV at that price,Safari Cruises like a starship virgo and rides like a jet on highways, and commands so much of road presence.

I am not debating about Scorpio's ability, Its a good car, but lacks Safari's class.

When someone asks for suggestion on T-BHP why should we always put one car down and showcase the other.

I've learnt to respect any automobile for what ever it is.

Here we are only driving away the problem seeker from his problem rather than helping him resolve one.

Let the buyer decide after the TD of vehicles.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 3rd June 2008 at 14:44.
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

LOL, I stumbled onto this thread by accident & was going to say "Scorpio" given the parameters in the first post. Then I saw 3 pages of eulogising by Anup & Shankar Balan on the Scorpio with NOTHING about the SX4 whatsoever. Including what Anup should write to the Marketing head etc etc. Couldn't figure out where that came from or what the need was. And, then of couse, you came in Pavan with the Safari anthem.

I think you've summed it up quite well though -

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Here we are only driving away the problem seeker from his problem rather than helping him resolve one.

Anyways, as I said, Scorpio over the SX4 for those poor road conditions.

(And I must say that the Scorpio fan boys are getting just as bad as........)

Last edited by suman : 3rd June 2008 at 15:23.
Old 3rd June 2008, 15:13   #51
BANNED

Suman,

You've got it.

It was just by chance that i stumbled into this thread,

beating one automobile for other is not what we are supposed to be doing on a forum like this.

Any ways will wait for the thread starter to come back on this.

I LOVE my Safari.

Lets hope i dont get flamed for my reply.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 3rd June 2008 at 15:15.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:07   #52
jp1
BHPian

What are we trying to achieve? One thing I noticed on numerous thread in this forum is that, if anybody mentioned Scorpio, it automatically becomes a Safari vs Scorpio thread. But if you see many Safari related thread, the chances of that becoming safari vs Scorpio discussion is not that much. The poor guy who started the thread for some inputs and wants to make a decision based on his/requirement finally abandon the thread. Is there any so called experts who knows both the vehicle and used both of them so that they can give a true comparison? . I hardly seen any. After few minutes test drive, people come out with expert opinions. Which one is better over the other is indicated by its SALES FIGURES. Let the owners give their honest opinion about their experience of the respective vehicle rather than confuse the person who started the thread.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:55   #53
BANNED

theres a misunderstanding somewhere here guys - timeout please!!
Our feedback is not based on test drives please! Both anup and I own scorpios and feel quite strongly about these vehicles.

elsewhere on these threads you will find similar aficionados of the safari. I kept seeing a lot of this eulogising and as I ve said earlier on this thread, wished to tilt the see-saw a bit in favour of the Scorp also.

However, as I ve told another member "ADC", I totally agree that the safari-scorpio battle is a bit out of hand and in order to help put it to rest (hopefully), as I ve said on other threads on this forum and I will say again - both are comparable vehicles and decent in their own way - it depends on which one you personally prefer on counts of toughness, reliability, your usage patterns, personal needs, personal choices and various other parameters. The ultimate choice is left to the person paying for the vehicle.

If you talk Sales Figures - then I suggest you do some research yourself and find out - I dont want to say anything about that.
At the same time - yes I also agree that in this thread we may have ended up confusing the thread starter and I am prepared to apologise for that.

However, I do believe if you go through the thread carefully, you will see the suggestions we ve made for what they are - it s not just to plug the Scorpio because we own it - its genuine user feedback actually. AND you will also see that there have been suggestions to the MODs to move the relevant bits into a separate Scorp thread.

However, I still am proud to say I like my Scorp and its a great vehicle and Im having a nice time with it. And my Scorpio was not a free gift - I paid good money for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
What are we trying to achieve? One thing I noticed on numerous thread in this forum is that, if anybody mentioned Scorpio, it automatically becomes a Safari vs Scorpio thread. But if you see many Safari related thread, the chances of that becoming safari vs Scorpio discussion is not that much. The poor guy who started the thread for some inputs and wants to make a decision based on his/requirement finally abandon the thread. Is there any so called experts who knows both the vehicle and used both of them so that they can give a true comparison? . I hardly seen any. After few minutes test drive, people come out with expert opinions. Which one is better over the other is indicated by its SALES FIGURES. Let the owners give their honest opinion about their experience of the respective vehicle rather than confuse the person who started the thread.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd June 2008 at 17:00.
Old 3rd June 2008, 16:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Shankar.Balan, I think we all know that you have recently purchased a Scorpio & may have owned others earlier as well. However, I don't see the relevance of a number of your posts in the context of a simple Scorpio vs SX4 query. Apart from justifying your own purchase of course. But then,
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:05   #55
BANNED

pavan
plse see my earlier posts on this subject and lets put it to rest
you also have indicated certain views in the post below which I dont completely endorse
lets agree to disagree or lets just say to each his own
in ref to us Scorpio fans - yes we also felt the need to shout a bit considering the number of Safari aficionados who shout quite loudly we felt we Scorp people were a relatively quiet lot.
however, as you can see this should be laid to rest sooner rather than later
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
sgmuser,shankar.balan,anupmathur.

Guys is see only you 3 guys fighting it out.

Where's Mr Shadow?

Lets not have another thread with Safari v/s Scorpio fight going on.

There are numerous Safari owners on T-BHP as compared to Scorpio, That is one indicator.

Every month i've noticed atleast 3 BHP'ians posting their new Safari and atlest 2 of them posting about the Safari booking and lots of BHP'ians posting their long term ownership reviews about Safari's.

Its a known fact that a Safari is the most desirable SUV.

sgmuser says "When you compare with Scorpio, no need to say, Scorpio scores everywhere except cruising/ride comfort on highways. This is my personal experience."

Isnt this a main factor while buying an SUV at that price,Safari Cruises like a starship virgo and rides like a jet on highways, and commands so much of road presence.

I am not debating about Scorpio's ability, Its a good car, but lacks Safari's class.

When someone asks for suggestion on T-BHP why should we always put one car down and showcase the other.

I've learnt to respect any automobile for what ever it is.

Old 3rd June 2008, 17:07   #56
BANNED

yes suman
i love my scorpio
but please see the other posts Ive made on the subject of safari vs scorpio - hoping to lay this to rest because frankly its beginning to get on my nerves too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Shankar.Balan, I think we all know that you have recently purchased a Scorpio & may have owned others earlier as well. However, I don't see the relevance of a number of your posts in the context of a simple Scorpio vs SX4 query. Apart from justifying your own purchase of course. But then,
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:08   #57
jp1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
theres a misunderstanding somewhere here guys - timeout please!!
Our feedback is not based on test drives please! Both anup and I own scorpios and feel quite strongly about these vehicles.
shankar, dont get me wrong.. In fact I found your original answer very balancing giving Safari its rightful due and in fact it pointed out more positive aspect of Safari rather than its negatives. But with that, other replies started appearing which negated the entire discussion.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:11   #58
BANNED

cool jp
as far as im concerned lets just say to each his own as far as the safari scorp battle is concerned.

Quote:
shankar, dont get me wrong.. In fact I found your original answer very balancing giving Safari its rightful due and in fact it pointed out more positive aspect of Safari rather than its negatives. But with that, other replies started appearing which negated the entire discussion.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:14   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
yes suman
i love my scorpio
but please see the other posts Ive made on the subject of safari vs scorpio - hoping to lay this to rest because frankly its beginning to get on my nerves too!
There are other threads out there where you can lay it to rest or continue the debate - why spend two pages talking about hill driving, ghosts in the machine etc etc etc - what is the relevance in the thread starter's context? Just curious.

PS: You can use the "Quote +" button for multiquoting.
Old 3rd June 2008, 18:04   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What are we trying to achieve? One thing I noticed on numerous thread in this forum is that, if anybody mentioned Scorpio, it automatically becomes a Safari vs Scorpio thread. But if you see many Safari related thread, the chances of that becoming safari vs Scorpio discussion is not that much.
I agree with your observation JP1!
It is very difficult to recommend a Scorpio to anyone - the bashers step in and the thread takes a new turn altogether.

If the Scorpio is such a poor second to a Safari, why is it that the sales figures do not corroborate this?
As a matter of fact, when taxi operators begin picking up a vehicle, it tells you that the total cost of ownership and passenger requirements have been well optimized in that vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks