Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:47   #1
BHPian

SX4 vs Scorpio

Sounds like a wierd comparison at first but consider the requirements

My dad is looking to by a car which will be used in Gwalior = crazy traffic. He also will be going to our farms once in a while which are 500 kms away in a village which means no roads and just ruts. both maruti and mah have widespread service centres so that helps

So expect heat and dust in plenty. Dad and mum stay by themselves so space is not an issue... and looking at a budget of around 6 - 8 lacs

the issue with the SX4 is that it does not offer a diesel, and though the Dzire does, it looks downright bad....
does that leave only the scorpio or are there other options.

lemme know
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

With the set of requirements you have given above, it is only Scorpio. SX4 deos not meeto to most of your requirments as it can be called as a good city car / highway car. But off roading, it may not withstand.

You can also try Safari 2.2. I had read in y'day TOI newspaper that safari is coming with all the safety features Airbags+ABS and other accessories which are not offered by Scorpio. The price advertised was Rs.7.34 L. You may want to check this out.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:22   #3

The scorpio is definately the better option. And the Mahindra service as compared to TATA is better.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:28   #4
BHPian

The Scorpio is defenetly the better of the two. The only other vehical that can be considered is Grande. But it still has to prove itself.

So the logical choice would be Scorpio.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:36   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)
Suggestions-SCORPIO 2.6 Crde LX, SAFARI 2.2 LX VTT or FUSION TDCI PLUS

I would tend to agree.
You could consider the Scorpio LX which is a good bet for your parents given your requirement. Scorpio comes to about 8.3 to 8.5 odd lacs on road in Bangalore.

You could also consider the Safari LX version also which comes to about 8.3 to 8.5 odd lacs on road.(in bangalore)

You could also consider FORD FUSION TDCI PLUS Version which costs 8 lacs on road Bangalore.

I have reviewed all these three vehicles on this site on other threads and I finally bought a Scorpio because it suits my requirements well.

However, please see below: I ve tried to give you a fair idea about all the three vehicles suggested above.

Comparisons in general:

LX Scorpio has a 2.6 Crde Turbo Engine. It has Power Windows (all 4), Power Steering, AC/HEater standard plus internally adjustable rear view mirrors etc.No music system, ABS, EBD, Rear Wiper/Demister, side cladding etc. Mileage will be around 12in city and 14 Max on highway.
Advantage: Big, Tough, Mahindra vehicles are generally easy to service with a good network. Nice gearbox. Responsive and powerful engine. Good vehicle on the highways. Spacious and comfortable. Good re-sale value.
Disadvantage: Tough to park in the city (I dont know Gwalior but am guessing that it has narrow roads.).

LX Safari has a 2.2 VTT Turbo DICOR engine. It comes with all 4 power windows, power steering, AC/Heater, Electrically operated rear view mirrors and a lot of other electrically operated toys. However, the LX version does not have ABS/EBD/Airbags etc- it is only the upper end VX version that has all those things. Mileage will be around 12 in city-14 MAX.
Advantage: Loads of value as described above. Good new generation engine. Fantastic vehicle on the highways. Very comfortable and spacious.
Disadvantage: Finish quality is poor. Plastics are not great. HUGE and very tough to park in the city definitely. I noticed a lot of turbo lag in 2nd gear which is a pain. Huge mushy feeling gearbox which I didnt like at all. I am not sure of maintenance and service in your area. I am not also sure of the costs of maintaining this Safari. Bad re-sale value- according to various brokers etc whom I have checked with.

FORD FUSION TDCI PLUS comes with a 1.4 Diesel Turbo TDCI (same engine as Fiesta). Phenomenal mileage on Highways as well as in City - 22 Kmpl claimed on highways - say 20kmpl is possible. And in City the claim is 14-15 - say you will definitely get atleast 12.Comes with Alloy Wheels as Standard, ABS/EBD as Standard - NO AIRBAGS. This vehicle costs about 8 lacs on Road in Bangalore.
Advantage: Easy for your dad to drive in the city and on the highways. Good ground clearance. Pretty powerful engine. Feels good to drive. Spacious and very comfortable for 2 people. Very good quality finish etc. This is a good option if you are considering an SX4.
Disadvantage: Expensive for a Station Wagon or Car type vehicle but with ABS/EBD there is some merit. Poor re-sale value. I am not sure about Ford's service network up in Gwalior area. No local mechanic can repair this vehicle definitely.

I suggest that you seriously evaluate these above options because from your description these are the vehicles which will actually be of use to you.

All the best

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
With the set of requirements you have given above, it is only Scorpio. SX4 deos not meeto to most of your requirments as it can be called as a good city car / highway car. But off roading, it may not withstand.

You can also try Safari 2.2. I had read in y'day TOI newspaper that safari is coming with all the safety features Airbags+ABS and other accessories which are not offered by Scorpio. The price advertised was Rs.7.34 L. You may want to check this out.
Old 22nd April 2008, 16:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If your folks are big on ride quality, especially over those 500 rough kilometers, TD the Safari too.
Old 22nd April 2008, 21:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Isnt it great!!!!!!!
almost everyone recommends a Safari 2.2 in one form or the other for almost every purpose!!!!!

Old 23rd April 2008, 07:27   #8
BANNED

i dont quite agree in this particular case
thats why Ive tried to be objective keeping his requirements in mind when I suggested my thoughts
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Isnt it great!!!!!!!
almost everyone recommends a Safari 2.2 in one form or the other for almost every purpose!!!!!

Old 23rd April 2008, 07:55   #9
BHPian

Sx4

My dad currently has the WagonR. Its about 7 years old now. He is a photographer hobbyist so does a lot of riding into the forests and no road territory every week end for the past 4 years. You won't believe what that car can handle. It is still in one piece and he does not find any car that seem to fit his needs better. His car got stuck only once in a hole just the size of the wheel which he and his friend solved by applying manual force in one direction.

My point is that farm track driving and a bad roads are something most of our cars can handle if it has a stiff suspension and a medium ground clearance. Keeping this in mind i can see the SX4 will easily fit your requirement. If you are not in need for a 7 seater car your parents are bound to be happy with SX4 as it has a lot of car like traits and still can match an average SUV in off-road performance. The SX4 hip level is also lower which will make getting in and out easy(very good for older people) as compared to the Scorpio. It also has most of the safety equipments like the Airbags, ABS, Pre-tensioner etc which is worth the investment. In city conditions SX4 out performs any SUV with its higher than normal car seating position, light EPS, definitely lighter clutch and manageable car like dimensions(psychological).

The only defect of the SX4 is that it does not have a diesel engine.

On the other hand Scorpio is also a good SUV.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:08   #10
BANNED

well written and well thought out notes on SX4 as a recommendation

My submission is that yes the SX4 has a high ground clearance and this will definitely help in the requirement.

however, do consider that for older people (my mum (64 years old) had a hip fracture some years ago) and she finds the Bolero, Scorpio etc extremely comfortable to get in and out of and manages it quite easily. In fact she always commends these vehicles as an older person with an injury.

Diesel driven vehicles would be a better bet because of the potential distances to be covered, the relative prices of fuel and the fact that it is now considered a cleaner burning fuel coupled with the fact that these new gen engines have less emission levels.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
My dad currently has the WagonR. Its about 7 years old now. He is a photographer hobbyist so does a lot of riding into the forests and no road territory every week end for the past 4 years. You won't believe what that car can handle. It is still in one piece and he does not find any car that seem to fit his needs better. His car got stuck only once in a hole just the size of the wheel which he and his friend solved by applying manual force in one direction.

My point is that farm track driving and a bad roads are something most of our cars can handle if it has a stiff suspension and a medium ground clearance. Keeping this in mind i can see the SX4 will easily fit your requirement. If you are not in need for a 7 seater car your parents are bound to be happy with SX4 as it has a lot of car like traits and still can match an average SUV in off-road performance. The SX4 hip level is also lower which will make getting in and out easy(very good for older people) as compared to the Scorpio. It also has most of the safety equipments like the Airbags, ABS, Pre-tensioner etc which is worth the investment. In city conditions SX4 out performs any SUV with its higher than normal car seating position, light EPS, definitely lighter clutch and manageable car like dimensions(psychological).

Old 23rd April 2008, 10:21   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Isnt it great!!!!!!!

Somehow, I dont see the humour in that recommendation. Do you? His query specifically mentioned these driving conditions:

Quote:
which are 500 kms away in a village which means no roads and just ruts.

So expect heat and dust in plenty.

and looking at a budget of around 6 - 8 lacs
1. We are talking of a vehicle to tackle broken roads, in conditions of heat and dust. To most people, a utility vehicle suits these the best.

2. Now consider that his parents would value ride quality over most other things, keeping their age in mind. The Safari does offer the best ride quality this side of 10 lac rupees over the type of terrain mentioned in point no.1.

3. He has also short-listed the Scorpio. Last I checked, the Safari and Scorpio have a lot in common.
Old 23rd April 2008, 10:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Need To Consider Weight

Hai Arun,

I had the fusion for 3 years and drive the Scropio CRDE now. If the Scorp gets bogged down, it would take a tractor to pull it out, its a 2.5 ton truck. Though the truck is powerful and torquey, weight is a huge problem.

I've found that in bad roads; with 1.6cc petrol engine, 195 mm gc, 16" wheels and a light weight and a hard suspension; the fusion can do terrains the Scorpio or Safari cannot even think about. Being light makes a huge difference; I've done the Badarnath road from Joshimath, seen Thevaras, Safaris and Scorpios burning rubber on this trail, whereas we skimmed through rough roads without efforts. Some sections we passed were blue murder with just cleared land slides and boulders. The Fusion also did magical work when we had to go off in many Uttranchal roads.

If the farm roads are anything like what you explained, you must seriously consider the Fusion, TD it and see what come out.

I've done a TD of the SX4, I think for your use, Fusion would be a much better alterntive, though the resale value and spare costs would be an issues.

Happy Hunting,

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd April 2008 at 10:49.
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:23   #13
BANNED

good suggestion Ramky
i tend to agree that the fusion might be the right answer for him given the useage patterns described
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Arun,

I had the fusion for 3 years and drive the Scropio CRDE now. If the Scorp gets bogged down, it would take a tractor to pull it out, its a 2.5 ton truck. Though the truck is powerful and torquey, weight is a huge problem.

I've found that in bad roads; with 1.6cc petrol engine, 195 mm gc, 16" wheels and a light weight and a hard suspension; the fusion can do terrains the Scorpio or Safari cannot even think about. Being light makes a huge difference; I've done the Badarnath road from Joshimath, seen Thevaras, Safaris and Scorpios burning rubber on this trail, whereas we skimmed through rough roads without efforts. Some sections we passed were blue murder with just cleared land slides and boulders. The Fusion also did magical work when we had to go off in many Uttranchal roads.

If the farm roads are anything like what you explained, you must seriously consider the Fusion, TD it and see what come out.

I've done a TD of the SX4, I think for your use, Fusion would be a much better alterntive, though the resale value and spare costs would be an issues.

Happy Hunting,

--Ramky
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:27   #14
BHPian

I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I would recommend a good used Fiat Adventure. Good GC, terrific suspension, lots of space. Getting in and out would be like that of cars and not as in UVs, though. You might even get a diesel version, if you can find one.
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:32   #15
BANNED

i dont think you should be flamed for that! Adventure is a superb car by itself. However, its latent disadvantages of No Diesel, bad service, general difficulty in spares etc would put it out of the running.
Sad that Fiat wasted such a lovely opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I would recommend a good used Fiat Adventure. Good GC, terrific suspension, lots of space. Getting in and out would be like that of cars and not as in UVs, though. You might even get a diesel version, if you can find one.

Most Viewed