Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 19:56   #16
BHPian

I bought a Bolero 3 months back and I would say that this is just not the right vehicle if you drive in a group.
On an average, when I drive with my friends on open highways, for every 100kms driven, my friends would have a 1 hour lead over me.

And braking at high speeds can be real scary. Probably because the vehicle is real heavy, the wheels just lock and the vehicle skids for a long distance.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:19   #17
jp1
BHPian

I am into my second Bolero and owning them for the last 7 years. The first one GLX with XDP engine, used for 5 years and done close to 50,000 Kms. The 2nd one SLX with XDP engine is into 2+ years and absolutely no issues at all. I did not change anything other than oil and filters so far. Done close to 15000 kms. I went for second Bolero after considering Safari and Scorpio. I was not so confident about buying these two (felt maintenance could be high) as there were lot of negative and positive comments about these two vehicles and I did not want to take a chance. The same time I already knew about Bolero and my first Bolero gone through couple of bad experiences and it saved me every time. It is tough solid vehicle and I did not have any mechanical problem and almost zero maintenance cost other than the normal consumables like oil, filters etc.

Driving comfort: I suggest you take a test drive. The way you sit in a Bolero is quite different from Baleno though getting in and out are much more easier. I do not think you will get the same driving comfort as in Baleno.

Handling the vehicle at high speed will be very different from Baleno. You need to be cautious. Do not expect it to stop like a Baleno at high speeds.

As Shankar suggested, wait for the CRDE if you are so particular about Bolero. The new Bolero engine is too noisy. The earlier ones had XDP engines which were less noisy compared to the new ones. The gear shift and clutch will be harder than Baleno, but not bad. Once you get used to it (in a weeks time or less), no issue at all. If I am in your place, I may not go for the new Bolero due to its noisy engine, rather wait for CRDE. Suggest to do a test drive
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:30   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

already de tuned from 115 BHP to 100 BHP
Brakes also boosted to handle increased power according to my source
vehicle was lying at BOSCH adugodi in Bangalore for a month under testing
looks exactly the same as the regular bolero but has a larger heart!
spoke to Mahindra's man in the South yesterday and he declined to comment about launch of Crde Bolero - but typical of Mahindra no one even knew that the cheaper MHAWK scorp the VLS would even be launched as recently as 3 weeks ago - the vehicle has now come into the showrooms for sale!
therefore I surmise it is reasonable to expect the Crde Bolero to go on sale later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I may be speaking too soon but I think they will detune it to churn out a lower bhp.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:39   #19
BANNED

yes boss - 4x4 is bang on.
DI engine will most probably be replaced with Crde in the higher variants only because that is the market for this more expensive product. XD3PU engine in my old Bolero was BS2 only - which was still acceptable in metro cities in 2005-2006. However, they did say when I bought it that soon it would be phased out into the rural markets only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You may want to check with your nearest dealer. When I checked six months back, I was told that they have not made the XD3P BSIII compliant so it couldn't be registered in the cities. He even went as far as to say that Mahindra is not taking orders for it. But unfortunately sometime delears are the ones who know least about the vehicles they sell.

Seeing Shankar's post about the trials of the scropio engine, Mahindra may be plannign to replace the DI engine in the higher variants of the Bolero rather than make the XD3P engine BSIII compliant.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:47   #20
BANNED

jp - appreciate your feedback
totally agree because even i never faced issues with the bolero i had over 3 years - first class tough beast. loved it.
your point about handling is correct - but we all need to remember this is a diesel jeep/ suv type vehicle which simply WILL NOT have the same handling and response characteristics of a petrol driven car! so comparing the two would be like comparing oranges and apples - not a valid comparison really.
DI turbo engine is a noisy tractor like engine. Also while it is fuel efficient and good on low end torque - it is more of a hauling engine used in rural areas. It is not an engine from which to expect high speeds, phenomenal acceleration and all that. Nor is a Bolero capable of exhilarating sports car like handling. Its a plain jane utilitiarian diesel jeep type vehicle - not many frills but a good, solid, tough workhorse which is stable and powerful enough on our roads - I will also say that not many people either in the city or on the highways, will feel like messing with you, in your Bolero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am into my second Bolero and owning them for the last 7 years. The first one GLX with XDP engine, used for 5 years and done close to 50,000 Kms. The 2nd one SLX with XDP engine is into 2+ years and absolutely no issues at all. I did not change anything other than oil and filters so far. Done close to 15000 kms. I went for second Bolero after considering Safari and Scorpio. I was not so confident about buying these two (felt maintenance could be high) as there were lot of negative and positive comments about these two vehicles and I did not want to take a chance. The same time I already knew about Bolero and my first Bolero gone through couple of bad experiences and it saved me every time. It is tough solid vehicle and I did not have any mechanical problem and almost zero maintenance cost other than the normal consumables like oil, filters etc.

Driving comfort: I suggest you take a test drive. The way you sit in a Bolero is quite different from Baleno though getting in and out are much more easier. I do not think you will get the same driving comfort as in Baleno.

Handling the vehicle at high speed will be very different from Baleno. You need to be cautious. Do not expect it to stop like a Baleno at high speeds.

As Shankar suggested, wait for the CRDE if you are so particular about Bolero. The new Bolero engine is too noisy. The earlier ones had XDP engines which were less noisy compared to the new ones. The gear shift and clutch will be harder than Baleno, but not bad. Once you get used to it (in a weeks time or less), no issue at all. If I am in your place, I may not go for the new Bolero due to its noisy engine, rather wait for CRDE. Suggest to do a test drive
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Shankar/4x4 bhai: Basically, the cheap 4wd option is out for city slickers - except the barebones Gypsy! So only scorpio/safari are the realistic options.
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:02   #22
BHPian

My dealer told me that Bolero CRDe would cost atleast a lac more than the current model.
At that price, dont you think it would be a smarter option to buy a Sumo Grande considering that its much more spacious and feature laden than Bolero. Also, the chassis is a good one generation younger than Bolero's.

The reliablity plank on which the Bolero sold (DI engine and XD3P) would be a suspect in the CRDe (atleast initially).
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:04   #23
BANNED

hi
Maintenance - average 4 trips per annum for servicing/ garage - about once each quarter - bills would be about 2000-3000 Max each time. Budget for about 10000 to 12000 per annum MAX on maintenance.(my experience)

Now I used to keep getting the car washed inside and outside and shampooed and blah blah because I used to take my dogs to the vet in my Bolero and they leave fur all over the place. So my bills were a bit higher. If I remember right, the total I spent on my Bolero in maintenance in the 3 years i kept it was about 45000 odd.

Reliability - GO ANYWHERE ANYTIME. I stand for that from personal experience with Mahindra's. Any fellow who has knowledge of Diesel Engines can service it. Each time you service it, just request the garage to check the diesel pump on the right side when you open the bonnet - because with adulterated diesel in rural areas and some parts of our country, it is better to check and thus prevent fuel sludge blocks. This is just a preventive vaccine more than a problem. I only faced it once but it was put right very quickly.
FE- the old XD3PU gave about 9 in city with AC average. Around 10-10.5 on highways with my driving - so expect with normal, careful mileage oriented driving that you will get about 12 MAX on highways.
The new DI Turbo gives about 12 in the city with AC and about 15-16 on highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
@Shankar, Even I am considering a BOLERO as one of the options, but I want to know more about it maintanability/reliability/FE. How would you rate BOLERO with respect to these factors?
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:13   #24
BANNED

for a cheap 4x4 - try a used Mahindra 540/550 - Diesel plus regular 4x4 - cheap and best. I wish Id known monsieur le 4x4 addict was selling his jeep a bit earlier - id have loved to buy that! Barebones Gyp - not such a good idea in these days of spiralling petrol prices!

but phamilyman - one could do a lot worse than buy a brand new 2wd Bolero or a base Scorp (LX).2.6 Crde.

2WD is more than sufficient for urban boys because in normal circumstances one rarely takes the vehicle into conditions of deep slush/ sand which warrants the use of 4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Shankar/4x4 bhai: Basically, the cheap 4wd option is out for city slickers - except the barebones Gypsy! So only scorpio/safari are the realistic options.
Old 22nd May 2008, 14:31   #25
BHPian

Well, you did mention this is your first vehicle, if you have recently learnt driving and wish to begin with a Bolero, then I wouldnt really support that.

You should buy a Bolero for sheer love for a jeep like UV or for its utiliterian value and decide to go places beyond the tarmac once too often.

Otherwise, you would just end up feeling that you made a bad choice, and that you should have stuck to a sedan.

If you are new to driving, I would suggest you stick to one of the faster, spacious alternative. Either a Hyundai Getz or a Renault Logan. You would have that space you need and good value for money. And at the same time enjoy your first days on the road.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:28   #26
BHPian

you will never be diasppointed with the bolero. Period !!
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:56   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
you will never be diasppointed with the bolero. Period !!
Absolutely!!!!

In 2004, when all my colleagues were buying Honda City's, Accents and all the midsize saloons. I went and brought myself a Bolero GLX 2WD, black in colour, and fully loaded. After using it for 4 years and 1.14 Lakh kilometers I am one very satisfied owner and cannot part with it. Even though much better options are available.

Always felt the comfort could be better, the ride could be better, the handling could be better, the whole damn thing could be better. But then it always brought a smile at the fuel bunk, the service center, when in the middle of nowhere at 2 in the morning it hits a huge ditch due to poor lightning on the road, when the local mechanic again in the middle of no where knows what to fix, runs on adultered fuel and still manages to limp home.

My friends have since moved to newer, faster and flashier models, i still prefer driving the heavy beast.

Awaiting the CRDe Bolero launch - expect 16inch rims and a June launch.

Oh and the auto and cabs stay away. The other day hit the back door of a Lancer which suddenly pulled out of the driving lot in Koramangala. Damage Bolero - one scratch not too deep and some of the paint off the Lancer on the front bumper, left hand side.
Damage Lancer - Very bad dent, paint scrapped off till the metal can be seen, glass broken, locking mechanism broken and the owners big ego. He was "Steel Bumper??"
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Well as a owner i would say this. If you want some sort of tomboy racer kindof car then bolero does not suit your requirement. I own the 2002 bolero glx and have had good experience with it. Vehicle has never given any troubles and also no punctures. It can go on bad roads easily and gives a better mid seat comfort on bad roads than a scorpio. But the Top speed is not good.
The ac is one of the most powerful once but the only drawback i would say is that the model i have does not have a front windscreen defogger. Have had 2 minor thuds in it but there was no visible damage. The interiors trim is not upto the mark but the only reason which made me buy it was that it was cheaper than the scorpio at that time by close to 60000. That was the base model of the scorpio without any perks in them.
Well in traffic conditions you can be happy in this vehicle. No tensions.
Mileage is around 10 which i get using turbojet.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:00   #29
BANNED

spinnerr is right
however, in this case you may even want to consider the Ford Fusion
If of course you have the budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Well, you did mention this is your first vehicle, if you have recently learnt driving and wish to begin with a Bolero, then I wouldnt really support that.

You should buy a Bolero for sheer love for a jeep like UV or for its utiliterian value and decide to go places beyond the tarmac once too often.

Otherwise, you would just end up feeling that you made a bad choice, and that you should have stuck to a sedan.

If you are new to driving, I would suggest you stick to one of the faster, spacious alternative. Either a Hyundai Getz or a Renault Logan. You would have that space you need and good value for money. And at the same time enjoy your first days on the road.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:04   #30
BANNED

you have a point - however, this is best judged by the user / potential driver himself - if the Crde Bolero is going to be as much as a lac more, I still think it would be less expensive than the Grande though.
i dont however agree on your point about reliability - the Crde also is a reliable solid engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
My dealer told me that Bolero CRDe would cost atleast a lac more than the current model.
At that price, dont you think it would be a smarter option to buy a Sumo Grande considering that its much more spacious and feature laden than Bolero. Also, the chassis is a good one generation younger than Bolero's.

The reliablity plank on which the Bolero sold (DI engine and XD3P) would be a suspect in the CRDe (atleast initially).

Most Viewed