Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:11   #31
BHPian

How much does a Bolero 4*4 cost. I cant find in on their website.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:17   #32
BHPian

Recently I read somewhere that 4wd Mahindra jeeps are available with DI engines (same as Bolero, MDI 3200) but without the turbo charger.

Is there any particular reason why these 4*4 jeeps are not provided with turbo charger.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:01   #33
BANNED

Check these links:

H* I* M* A* L* A* Y* A* N**** M* O* T* O* R* S* P* O* R* T

Welcome to Mahindra Bolero Video
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:27   #34
BHPian

Thanks friends for your inputs. I learned driving 6 yrs back .but since then i am not driving any sort of 4 wheeler. Why i considered bolero is because of following reasons.
1)5-6 people should be seated comfortably.
2)low on maintenance as well as running costs.
3)should be comfortable older people.
4)should run on any terrain (roads are not that good here including highways).
5)easy to repair on small accidents (happens here a lot)

I felt innova and safari is not affordable.
Is there any other vehicle that satisfies the above?
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:51   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

4x4 Boleor costs around 1 lac more than the SLX version and comes only in the SLX version.
it has leaf spring suspension in front and the back unlike the 4x2 which has independent coil springs in front and leaf springs at the rear.
it has a Borg Warner Electric Shift on the Fly 4x4 system.
they dont talk much about it because very few people buy the 4x4 Bolero - most pickup the 4x2.
the 4x2 itself has a lot of low end pull and torque to get one out of most slushy bits and bad terrain but the 4x4 is phenomenal in off road conditions. On road however because of the leaf spring suspension in front it is not as comfortable as the 4x2 version. In the rear, both are about the same - bumpy on bad roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
How much does a Bolero 4*4 cost. I cant find in on their website.
Old 23rd May 2008, 00:24   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Recently I read somewhere that 4wd Mahindra jeeps are available with DI engines (same as Bolero, MDI 3200) but without the turbo charger.

Is there any particular reason why these 4*4 jeeps are not provided with turbo charger.
The MDI3200 is not offered anymore on 4x4 jeeps. Now they all come with the Turbo charger. I think the non-turbo is available on some of the cheaper pickups like maxx etc.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Why i considered bolero is because of following reasons.
1)5-6 people should be seated comfortably.
2)low on maintenance as well as running costs.
3)should be comfortable older people.
4)should run on any terrain (roads are not that good here including highways).
5)easy to repair on small accidents (happens here a lot)
@bullboy
If you have set your mind on a Bolero, I would say take a coulpe of test drives, visit every dealer at TVM.

And it does cover all the points you had mentioned up there, seating comfort is debateable. But then running cost and repairs are very much affordable. They say a Bolero starts with STEEL and ends with STEEL. Both the bumpers, front & back are metal, so you dont have to worry much there.

So go ahead take a couple of test drives this weekend, if possible even in the traffic, you would appreciate the low-end driveability. Just keep in mind that the new clutch would take a good 2000-2500 kms before it becomes a bit soft. So go on start with a set of squats and get those legs of yours in good shape....

Keep us all updated.
Old 23rd May 2008, 09:19   #38
BANNED

if bolero is preferred on account of budget then pick up the SLX version- it has more frills and comfortable things than the SLE
if possible wait a few months till Crde comes out.
Otherwise I can tell you it is an excellent vehicle - well worth it IMHO. I found it very peaceful to drive it both in traffic in the city as well as in the hills and bit of off road too. It is a solid beast and well priced. Not expensive to run and maintain which is important. It is made of STEEL all the way so actually in case of accidents or minor bumps, you most probably wont even notice!
Even my parents have been with me to ooty and coorg etc in that Bolero and both of them were quite comfortable. the rear is bumpy but if the passenger is belted in properly you wont have too much of a problem provided you drive at sane and reasonable speeds
remember this is a jeep type beast and it is not supposed to be driven like a sports car.
and as Spinnerr says - test drive it yourself and see - watch the nasty little autorickshaws and other small denizens of our indian roads scatter like chaff in the wind, when they see your bolero approaching/ looming up in their rear view mirrors!! that is FUN!
but after buying it, go and change the original horn to a simple BOSCH horn (500 bucks) which is very effective and yet road legal unlike a Wind/ Air Horn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
@bullboy
If you have set your mind on a Bolero, I would say take a coulpe of test drives, visit every dealer at TVM.

And it does cover all the points you had mentioned up there, seating comfort is debateable. But then running cost and repairs are very much affordable. They say a Bolero starts with STEEL and ends with STEEL. Both the bumpers, front & back are metal, so you dont have to worry much there.

So go ahead take a couple of test drives this weekend, if possible even in the traffic, you would appreciate the low-end driveability. Just keep in mind that the new clutch would take a good 2000-2500 kms before it becomes a bit soft. So go on start with a set of squats and get those legs of yours in good shape....

Keep us all updated.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

One point i would like to add is the bolero can seat 5 comforrtably but cannot adjust with more than 3 people in the middle row. The last row in my vehicle is side facing and very cramped for 2. Change the horn after you buy.

I love the power steering in this vehicle which is very light.

Try for the 4*4 as i almost got stuck in a remote area when we went searching for some person back in coorg. Am lucky that the front end torque was good enough to pull me out. Was scary
Old 23rd May 2008, 23:10   #40
BHPian

With reference to the image posted by Spit-fire, wouldnt all those fog lamps and name plate in front of the Bolero grille affect the air flow towards it and decrease the overall cooling/efficiency of the radiator?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Bolero A Good Buy?-spitfire.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2008, 23:19   #41
BHPian

@Bullboy.
This is one suggestion that none of the other Bolero owners are gonna support - If you are considering buying a Bolero SLX - pit it against Maruti SX4. They are almost in the same price category, SX4 is reliable, and its got a ground clearance that can take any broken highway.

I would say apart from diesel economy and much cheaper spares, Bolero does not beat SX4 on any other counts.
Old 24th May 2008, 15:37   #42
BANNED

@Rough Square: Regarding the pic, ofcourse it will. No idea how those guys managed. There were 4 guys in the Jeep and apparently thats the only diesel that finished the Raid..
Old 26th May 2008, 16:40   #43
BANNED

it certainly will affect the air flow and decrease the overall efficiency
better always to check with a good mechanic/ service centre before putting too many things in front of the radiator grille.

Quote:
With reference to the image posted by Spit-fire, wouldnt all those fog lamps and name plate in front of the Bolero grille affect the air flow towards it and decrease the overall cooling/efficiency of the radiator?
Old 26th May 2008, 17:11   #44
BHPian

I am not sure about the cost implications of buying a Bolero vs a Sedan, but I drove a friends Bolero for a short drive in the city(Hyderabad). The handling and view from the driver's seat is simply outstanding. I have a diesel sedan and I found the steering very good (or maybe comparably better) on the Bolero. I won't comment on the interiors as that would be debatable for the cost.
But the clutch was heavy, and the engine slightly under powered for the city. I drive like 25 -30 km each way to work and back and cannot think of driving a Bolero in the traffic that I face.
Old 26th May 2008, 17:14   #45
BHPian

Quote:
@Bullboy.
This is one suggestion that none of the other Bolero owners are gonna support - If you are considering buying a Bolero SLX - pit it against Maruti SX4. They are almost in the same price category, SX4 is reliable, and its got a ground clearance that can take any broken highway.

I would say apart from diesel economy and much cheaper spares, Bolero does not beat SX4 on any other counts.
Bolero Vs SX4

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks