Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2008, 17:15   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

agreed it is tougher to drive a bolero in the city than it is to drive a sedan
but the good low end torque of the bolero can easily help you through stop start stop situations in city traffic
the clutch is heavy though and you do need to use quite a bit of left foot power.
for me i didnt mind because ive been used to jeep type vehicles for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I am not sure about the cost implications of buying a Bolero vs a Sedan, but I drove a friends Bolero for a short drive in the city(Hyderabad). The handling and view from the driver's seat is simply outstanding. I have a diesel sedan and I found the steering very good (or maybe comparably better) on the Bolero. I won't comment on the interiors as that would be debatable for the cost.
But the clutch was heavy, and the engine slightly under powered for the city. I drive like 25 -30 km each way to work and back and cannot think of driving a Bolero in the traffic that I face.
Old 26th May 2008, 19:05   #47
BHPian

I drive a 2007 Bolero.

Its not for those traffic light drags. It was never meant for that anyway.
Its for relaxed driving. My Bolero is 9 months old and i'm enjoying the view / drive. Its not difficult to drive it in the city. As you get more familiar, it feels like a car. Clutch will get softer after a while. Don't expect any steering feedback and don't try those high speed flicks. Always remember you're driving a tall vehicle. I get a VERY CONSISTENT mileage of 11-12 kmpl in city driving. No drag starts or tyre burning stuff here. Just normal driving. (Mostly without a/c). Never did any long drives and waiting to do one.

Ergonomics is an issue. You sit comfortably. The problem starts when you try to operate the accelerator pedal. I'm 5.5 feet tall (...or short ), my seat pushed back and still my ankle hurts because of the awkward angle.

Then there is the internal reflections....which i've mentioned in one of my earlier threads. At night, when you look out of the driver's window, you see the reflections of the bright objects on your left instead of the people / auto / bullock cart on your right creating some sort of a blind spot. So you need to be careful.

Also, if you notice the Himalayan Raid Bolero picture, the driver's side of the windscreen glass has a triangular portion LEFT UNCLEANED by the wiper. This also creates a blind spot while turning.......or is it just me?

But i still enjoy my daily drive (25kms) to office. Don't worry. Come join the Bolero brotherhood.

-- Torqy
Old 26th May 2008, 19:33   #48
BANNED

How much does a used Bolero cost in Kerala? Are there any used Boleros available?

I too am considering buying one of these.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:01   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

since you appear to have a base in bangalore and in kerala you might do better buying one in bangalore
1. bangalore vehicles generally would see more city driving than off road/ bad road driving which means they probably will be better kept
2. the rust factor in bangalore would generally be a bit less than the same in kerala/ coastal kerala because of less salt in the air and less humidity.

if you are looking out for a used bolero try and speak to Naveen at First Choice motors - Agara Lake Bangalore - no: 9986037071 and ask him if he has any. hes a decent chap. a 2005 model bolero should be available at around 3.5-3.8 lacs. you can go upto 3.9- 4 lacs for a low mileage, particularly well kept specimen of that vintage, but certainly not higher than that, since the technology is a bit older now.

bolero is virtually indestructible and if looked after with affection, will give you years of solid uncomplaining service.
maintenance and servicing is not expensive either. another advantage is diesel fuel and anywhere repairability if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
How much does a used Bolero cost in Kerala? Are there any used Boleros available?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th May 2008 at 10:03.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:

@Sankar you can get a good used bolero in kerala for 2.5L a 2001-02 GLX model. Not sure abt the new ones...

If you know any folks in Kerala ask them to check the Manorama Classified on all thursdays..there are loads of advts on Jeeps !!

Last edited by jango : 27th May 2008 at 10:12.
Old 27th May 2008, 15:00   #51
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
since you appear to have a base in bangalore and in kerala you might do better buying one in bangalore
1. bangalore vehicles generally would see more city driving than off road/ bad road driving which means they probably will be better kept
2. the rust factor in bangalore would generally be a bit less than the same in kerala/ coastal kerala because of less salt in the air and less humidity.

if you are looking out for a used bolero try and speak to Naveen at First Choice motors - Agara Lake Bangalore - no: 9986037071 and ask him if he has any. hes a decent chap. a 2005 model bolero should be available at around 3.5-3.8 lacs. you can go upto 3.9- 4 lacs for a low mileage, particularly well kept specimen of that vintage, but certainly not higher than that, since the technology is a bit older now.

bolero is virtually indestructible and if looked after with affection, will give you years of solid uncomplaining service.
maintenance and servicing is not expensive either. another advantage is diesel fuel and anywhere repairability if needed.
Even in Kerala many don't go offroading with their Boleros, but lots of hill driving would be involved if bought from the usual jeep country in kerala.

The rust factor is not entirely true. Only the vehicles from the extreme coastal belt will be affected by the severe rust problem. But it is true that chances of getting affected by rust is much higher in Kerala (especially in coastal districts) when compared to Bangalore.

The maintenance, durability, rugged nature, vehicle size and the Diesel fuel is why i am attracted to this vehicle.

I prefer a Kerala vehicle since it going to be used in Kerala. A Bangalore vehicle would come with the re registration hassles.

Thanks for the contact and the number, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
@Sankar you can get a good used bolero in kerala for 2.5L a 2001-02 GLX model. Not sure abt the new ones...

If you know any folks in Kerala ask them to check the Manorama Classified on all thursdays..there are loads of advts on Jeeps !!
I like the looks of the old Bolero much better than the new ones, so that is not a problem. I'm at Kerala i will start checking the classifieds. Hope to find a nice one.

GLX comes with PS & AC right?
Old 27th May 2008, 15:10   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Yes it does with power windows, central locking and a horrible cassette player thrown in too.
Old 27th May 2008, 16:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

@Spitfire I agree. Just threw away the cassete player recently though but realised what i was missing. What do u do for the front defogger?
Old 27th May 2008, 17:15   #54
BHPian

Quote:

I like the looks of the old Bolero much better than the new ones, so that is not a problem. I'm at Kerala i will start checking the classifieds. Hope to find a nice one.

Yes the GLX comes with PS and AC. Sankar there is a person in Thodupuzha who deals only with Jeeps. He normally puts advts in manorama classified every week. The advts contains only about jeeps. I do not have his no handy but will try to get it for you !! happy jeep hunting
Old 27th May 2008, 17:20   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
What do u do for the front defogger?

This is one major concern. In Kerala it's raining for almost half year per year and with the windows up the windscreen would get fogged rather quickly. Is there any active solution for this other than rubbing the insides of the windshield with soap etc etc.

Jango, please try to get his number for me. Are you sure the the advts would be there in the Trivandrum edition of Manorama. Thodupuzha would be Cochin edition right?

Last edited by Sankar : 27th May 2008 at 17:22.
Old 27th May 2008, 18:11   #56
BHPian

Quote:
....with the windows up the windscreen would get fogged rather quickly. Is there any active solution for this other than rubbing the insides of the windshield with soap etc etc.
A/C.

Switch on the AC, turn the temp knob down (or up, either way it works), and watch the fog vanish. Simble eh?

Thats is one another way you can keep the fog off the window. It works!
Old 27th May 2008, 18:22   #57
BANNED

Yes i know that mate, but from what i've heard Bolero's blower system doesn't have vents which are directed towards the windshield like in other cars.

When it rains and windshield starts to fog the blower vents are set to blow towards the windscreen to clear the fogging. Without the windshield blower vents i don't know how effective it is going to be by just turning on the AC.
Old 27th May 2008, 18:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

Bolero is very easy to drive in the city, you can move it in second without any hassles & keep it there in most of the crawling traffic. The AC is simply fabulous & the NVH is also pretty good, nothing to be wary of.
Old 27th May 2008, 18:33   #59
BANNED

Is there any way to increase the performance of the XD3P motor - how effective would be a turbo charger on the XD3P? I have read somewhere that M&M was selling a turbo XD3P in South Africa but the engine had reliability issues.

And read somewhere else that turboing an IDI comes with it's own set of problems.

And does recalibrating the pump and the injectors to squirt more fuel oil into the engine produce any difference?
Old 27th May 2008, 18:48   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Yes the GLX comes with PS and AC. Sankar there is a person in Thodupuzha who deals only with Jeeps. He normally puts advts in manorama classified every week. The advts contains only about jeeps. I do not have his no handy but will try to get it for you !! happy jeep hunting
Please stay away from this guy. Sankar, PM me. i'll give u the details!!

Most Viewed