Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2008, 08:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Aww darn. With the ingenio expected "before October" and the slew of BHPians seeing it all over, I was hoping for an early Bolero CRDe launch.

It seems it is not to be so courtesy the Pikup CNG launch.

Last edited by phamilyman : 20th July 2008 at 09:02.
Old 21st July 2008, 15:57   #92
BHPian

Wow, that would really bring down running cost.

BTW is CNG available in any of the South Indian cities?
Old 21st July 2008, 19:51   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
launch expected Mid August
Announcements etc

Actual test jeeps should be available at Dealerships end Aug

This is what Im told

Cheers

thank you sir,

urgently need a good uv as a replacement for my old scorpio, i guess the crde bolero or the scorpio automatic would be the ideal choice.

Last edited by aadix : 21st July 2008 at 20:07.
Old 4th January 2010, 20:43   #94
BHPian

Hate to awake a sleeping thread, but this seems the best place for this question.

We're looking for a second car. As of now, we have a 1998 M800 that's just about covered 49K, most of it logged in and around Trivandrum city. Had it repainted and got the interiors done recently, as well as an Autocop remote locking and intrusion alarm. The car's in quite good shape.

Things were going fine until we decided to go on a 200km trip to my dad's place in Thodupuzha. It had been a while since we'd gone on a trip like that with more than two people. The car could not have felt more out of place on the roads. I could pass almost no other car, and the braking was soo bad. We also had a small smash-up with a Fusion that braked suddenly in front of us, and with that, the decision was made that this car was no longer suitable for anything other than grocery shopping in the city. Oh wait, actually it's not even good for that, there's barely room for even a month's supplies for 4 people. A replacement was inevitable.

I was considering any one of the small cars on the market, or one of the low-mid range sedans, like the Manza or the DZire. But then I wsa passing by the TVS Mahindra showroom and on a whim, decided to check out the Xylo, which I'd ridden in and found extremely comfy.

The sales guy told me that the Xylo was out of my range of 6 lakhs, but convinced me to take a look at the Bolero SLE, which was 5.98 lakhs on road. He insisted that until the roads got better, there was no point in investing in small cars, and more importantly, he said that considering how long we'd kept the 800, we were likely to keep this one longer, and that it would last longer on these roads.

I haven't got a TD yet, as all of the ones in stock were for delivery, but he assured me one in a couple of days.

I'm giving it some serious thought. What do you think guys? Having been used to an 800, I can do without the luxuries. Just need a good AC, good music system, and easy steering to be happy. This is a Jeep, and I've always wanted one since I was 4-5 years old, and getting around in Jeep taxis in Thodupuzha. What are the pros and cons for someone graduating from a small car?
Old 4th January 2010, 21:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vivek,

I had a Bolero GLX 4WD. It was a wonderful car for the hills. You won't feel the jerk in Bolero. Once you go for TD after 800 you won't take back. Though little bit noisy it is one of the successful SUV next to Scorpio in Mahindra's group. Being in Chennai city I gave up SUV and went fore Ritz, The reason for Ritz tall boy is the high seat. I can't go for low seat of Swift or i20 after using Bolero.

Last edited by navan49 : 4th January 2010 at 21:38.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:37   #96
BHPian

@ navan49: The GLX has a very different engine (XD3P IDI)and the 4WD has a live axle at front, not independent suspension, as I understand. So your experience with regard to the engine and ride is not really comparable. What I'd like to know is how it felt, size-wise. Is it manageable? I see tons of Government vehicles in and around the city, but they all have drivers. Anyway, I've decided not to take any decision until they give me a TD.

OT, I also had a look at the Trax Gama, and it's crap compared to the Bolero. Will cost 7 lakhs+ with AC and PS, I'll have to pay it all upfront, and wait for 2 months. I can get a Bolero VLX for that (7.2 lakhs OTR). I don't know how Force can continue to avoid the personal car market so blatantly. The dealer said that all they were selling was 'Cruiser' and 'Toofan'. The dealer's first reaction when I asked for somethng with AC and PS was to consider the Traveller!

Considering the rock solid build and reliability, they could sell a lot more if they'd come out with something that looks half as good as the Bolero. It's not like they don't have the R&D, look what they did to the Traveller. A similar makeover for the Trax range would completely shake up the UV market.
Old 8th May 2021, 20:35   #97
BHPian

Re: Is Bolero A Good Buy?

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice. Please note that this will be a long post.

I have been wanting to buy the Bolero for a very long time but could never think seriously about it but I am in love with this vehicle. I am an Architect and interior designer by profession and have recently opened up my new firm ( Thanks to COVID, I had to quit my job ). Since I am based out of Greater Faridabad, the roads here are not so great due to constant construction happening.

Currently, we have three cars in the family. 2015 Fiat Punto Evo which has clocked 81k kms, A 2009 Hyundai i10, and a 2012 Tata Nano.

After shifting to Faridabad, I actually realized the importance of a good suspension setup. Thankfully Punto has helped a lot because of its ride quality. Now since I have my own firm, I have to carry samples to sites and client meetings. I have made up my mind to buy a Bolero ( Used preferred due to a budget constraint ) as it fulfills my requirements of being rugged, comparatively more spacious than the Punto and of course off-road capability with lesser maintenance, and this is the only UV/SUV which fits my budget ( new or used )

The only way I can afford a Bolero is by selling the i10 and the Punto. Do you think it's a sane idea? My main aspect of getting the Bolero is its maintenance-free nature and a tough build which will last the 10 years lifespan.

This is purely a decision from the heart. Do you feel that I am taking the wrong direction in getting the Bolero as my primary daily driver? I understand that it won't be as comfortable as the Punto but the interiors can be customized slowly as per my needs ( maybe a different seat etc ). My running would be 50% city and 50% highway ( Gurgaon guys would know GFR ).

Lastly, do you think I should go for a used one or wait for my finances to settle and get the new one? I am planning to get a used one right now as this is probably the best time I will get a good value for the Punto. But I also know how difficult it is to find a good clean used Bolero that has not been abused.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. My post might sound confusing because I am “confused” whether to go ahead with this decision or not.

Thanks
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 15:58   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Hi Everyone,

Need some advice. Please note that this will be a long post.

==============================================
Thanks
There is no doubt about the fact that the Bolero is a very rugged and abuse friendly vehicle that is considered ideal for bad roads, hauling loads and people and for commercial applications. However, you must consider the following:

1. A used Bolero in good shape is almost impossible to find. Most people who buy a Bolero do not use it as a garage queen. These cars get crammed with people, get driven roughly over bad roads and are driven a lot; typically, a 4-6 year old example could have done well over 1-2 lakh kilometers. Most of them have tampered odometers as well. Even if it is a white plate car, there is no guarantee that it was used as a private vehicle. Even if you do find a privately used example, it is likely to have modifications and alterations that may not be of good quality.

2. Boleros are very susceptible to rusting. The body as well as the chassis have a terrible tendency to rust. The cowl top, running board and door edges tend to rot.

3. Bolero doesn't have great interior quality; a used example could have sagging seats, broken latches, hanging headliners and dysfunctional electronics.

4. The mechanicals are solid and reliable, but an abused car will definitely require work with respect to the clutch, gearbox, suspension and even the engine.

5. The older Boleros with the bigger 2.5 engine are very noisy and unrefined. Uncool for a family car.

Thus, if you have to go for a Bolero at all, it is a much better idea to get a new one. The latest BS6 iteration has an airbag, a much more refined 1.5 liter engine from the TUV, much better brakes with ABS, and a few modern touches like power window switches on the doors, remote locking etc.
For your kind of usage, a Bolero does make sense, but to make it more comfortable, you will have to invest in interior and exterior upgrades.

But before buying, please do consider the fact that the Bolero itself was launched 2 decades ago and the platform dates all the way back to the 1960s! Even after upgrades, it will have almost zero crash safety, will feel crude and poorly built, the leaf springs will give rear passengers a hard time and the terrible driving position may become painful on longer drives. Once the initial novelty wears off, one tends to realise the flaws of the product that was mainly an emotional purchase.

If you really like the Bolero, I would recommend you to wait for the upcoming BS6 TUV300 or look for a used example. It is a much better engineered product than the Bolero and its ruggedness will probably suffice for your usage. You should also consider a used Scorpio; one is much more likely to find a privately used Scorpio in good condition. Also consider the Ford Ecosport diesel and the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga. Both these cars are not only great for urban families, but can also carry a lot stuff with their seats folded. They also bring modern safety and comfort features to the table. They also don't suffer from the taxi image that the Bolero carries.

Last edited by Sanidhya mukund : 9th May 2021 at 16:09.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 20:19   #99
BHPian

Thank you so much Sanidhya for extremely critical points. Even I have been in two minds. Ertiga is a very strong contender but unfortunately doesn't have off road capabilities at all. But yes, I am sure it can handle bad roads quite well.

With respect to the image if the Bolero, I completely understand and how it will affect as an extension to my business. Also as suggested by you, I have tried but failed to find a good and clean example. And yes, tampered meter will surely be there as what I have been researching.

I guess I will have to go ahead with the mind rather than going ahead with what the heart wants. Lastly, getting an ertiga would mean a 15 ye lifespan compared to any diesel vehicle i.e 10yrs. So I would rather wait and get a new ertiga sometime in future.

Thanks again. I guess I will have to reconsider my decision . Probably few years down the line, I can get the bolero once my financial condition is stable as a secondary/weekend vehicle.

Thanks

Last edited by Aditya : 10th May 2021 at 06:30. Reason: Quote not required as the post quoted is just one post earlier
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2021, 14:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post

This is purely a decision from the heart. Do you feel that I am taking the wrong direction in getting the Bolero as my primary daily driver? I understand that it won't be as comfortable as the Punto but the interiors can be customized slowly as per my needs ( maybe a different seat etc ). My running would be 50% city and 50% highway ( Gurgaon guys would know GFR ).

Lastly, do you think I should go for a used one or wait for my finances to settle and get the new one? I am planning to get a used one right now as this is probably the best time I will get a good value for the Punto. But I also know how difficult it is to find a good clean used Bolero that has not been abused.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. My post might sound confusing because I am “confused” whether to go ahead with this decision or not.

Thanks
Sorry if I am late here. I can add something here as I have purchased a BS6 Bolero last year. And I also own a Punto Evo.

First things first, a punto cannot be replaced with Bolero and vice versa. Both are completely different vehicles. Please do not think about replacing it with a Bolero. Keep the punto for city run about and fast highways.

I agree with whatever has been said above about the Bolero. It has its flaws, so please be well aware of them before you purchase. And like you I was on the lookout for a used one. It’s impossible to find a good example. Hence I saved up some more and went with the BS6 version, which is better overall compared to the older models.

I have clocked 13k on the Odo within a year , all on the highway. If you are a relaxed driver , you will love how easy it is to cruise on the highway and is much more silent than my Punto. I personally am more comfortable on the Bolero than Punto. Not the same for passengers though.

So would recommend to save up and buy new one instead as a weekend explorer to some rough terrains. It’s awesome at that.

Do let us know your final decision. Happy hunting!
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed