Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2008, 08:53   #16
BHPian

if budget no constraint - go for the safari. In Safari the LX might be a cost effective option.
Old 7th July 2008, 09:58   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi,
With the budget indication of 5 to 7 lacs plse indicate whether this is the ON ROAD Price or not. And whether you are very clear that you want to buy a Diesel vehicle or a petrol one.

Because the price considerations for Scorpio 2.6 Crde, Safari 2.2, Innova etc are all higher - they come at 8.5-8.75 on Road even for the LX Versions.
The Safari 3 litre Dicor is not a good idea since this technology has been outstripped by its newer variant, the 2.2 Dicor which is far superior.
The Sumo Grande also is quite expensive - for the lowest end variant it is still close to 8 lacs on the road.
The Bolero is not the best choice for real comfort especially in the back seat.
The Plain old Sumo Victa is also not very modern and is not the best choice for your parents comfort.

You could actually consider the following, given your budget:
1.Used Scorpio 2.6 Regular Non Crde Turbo 2004 or 2005 model (Private sale) - you should get one at about 5-6 Lacs.
2.Used Innova - (Private sale) - you should get a decent Innova for about 6.5 to 7 Lacs.
3.Used Tavera - (Private sale) - you should get a decent one for about 5.5 to 6 lacs.

Otherwise, just plump for a Brand new SX4 ZXi or even the DLS Logan - these are very good vehicles both. And there is nothing quite like buying a new vehicle - maybe an SUV can come in the next change after 2 or 3 years!

All the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I am living in USA and parents are back in Bangalore. I am trying to buy a SUV/MUV type of vehicle for them. My brother is living with them and he would be the one doing the the wheeling.

My budget is like 5 to 7 lakhs. I prefer to buy a new car. But I will also listen if I could buy a good used car at a good bargain.

I have been reading lots of reviews, user reviews, etc. on cars like Tata Safari, Tata Sumo Grande, Scorpio, Tavera and Innovo.

I guess Innovo is out of my budget and I kind of prefer to buy an indian make. So currently I am focusing on the lower end Safari and Sumo Grande. For some reason I am still not convinced on Scorpio. But I might eventually go for it.

Here are my questions specific to cars I am considering

Tata Safari

I hear that it the best in Ride quality and Road Presence. But it eats you out with maintenance costs. Is the total cost of ownership too much to handle? I am talking about either TCIC or 2.2 LX. Please give your comments.

Tata Sumo Grande
I hear that the ride quality is better than others but little less than Safari. I know it is a new car. So I am not sure how good of a job tata has done in the first generation of Sumo Grande?

So if you guys should compare between the ones I am considering, please tell me which one makes more sense.
Old 12th August 2008, 14:52   #18
BHPian

I once TD the SUMO Grande. it looks good from outside but the insides are not that sophisticated as much as the exteriors. I was dissatisfied.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:41   #19
BANNED

Agreed, the sophistication is not high but the engine refinement and NVH levels on the Sumo Grande will put the 3.0 DiCOR to shame.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:01   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry Guys. For some reason I get the same opinion as Dezire when I see the front and rear of the Grande.

Where is our gowda & team? I think he is going to be sad since you compared this grande to his KING
Old 12th August 2008, 16:23   #21
BHPian

I agree. I was beside a Grande on my Activa for around 5 minutes today. I could hardly hear the engine noise compared to the din the regular Sumos make.

Pradeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicorex4x4 View Post
Agreed, the sophistication is not high but the engine refinement and NVH levels on the Sumo Grande will put the 3.0 DiCOR to shame.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Shanky go with the Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post

Here are my questions specific to cars I am considering

Tata Safari

I hear that it the best in Ride quality and Road Presence. But it eats you out with maintenance costs. Is the total cost of ownership too much to handle? I am talking about either TCIC or 2.2 LX. Please give your comments.
Shanky go with Safari 2.2 VTT LX without any further discussion, the Quality, Presence the best you can get in the SUV's.

Ownership cost -

1st Service - Rs.150(1,000Kms)
2nd Service - Rs.2000 - Rs.3000(15,000kms)

Do you think this is too much to handle ???

No need to worry dude just go with The King - Tata Safari and give your family the best drive you can afford at that price range of 6 - 7 Lakhs with 3yrs warranty.

what else you need ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Where is our gowda & team? I think he is going to be sad since you compared this grande to his KING
Mr.Mjothi here i am and you said it right there is no comparison with anyother SUV for The King.

Grande is just a Multi Utility Vehicle and it cannot be compared with SUV.

Shanky go with the Safari

Last edited by gowda79 : 12th August 2008 at 16:58.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Ownership cost -

1st Service - Rs.150(1,000Kms)
Hi gowda79, the 1st service charge is Rs.40/- Atleast that's what Concorde Motors charges.

Hi Gshanky, have you finalized on your purchase yet?
Old 12th August 2008, 17:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

1st 5 services are free, only consumables are charged
Old 12th August 2008, 17:54   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

if its just going to be a high way run, why not the petrol innova. I have no idea on the price of a new petrol innova but I think you should be able to get one with a reasonable run in that price range. both innova and toyota's service are good.
Old 12th August 2008, 17:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi gowda79, the 1st service charge is Rs.40/- Atleast that's what Concorde Motors charges.

Hi Gshanky, have you finalized on your purchase yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
1st 5 services are free, only consumables are charged
The amount charged was some accessories and it is a free service, sorry for not putting that on my first message.

Last edited by gowda79 : 12th August 2008 at 18:01.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:05   #27
BHPian

I dont think your parents need an SUV, like someone else already mentioned they would probably not go for off-roading. It would be much more practical choosing something like a used Innova, or if you can stretch your budget the Grande is not all-that-bad !. Just one thing you need to make sure is how comfortable they are with getting in and out of the car.

All the best with what you decide.
Old 12th August 2008, 18:08   #28
BHPian

Sumo Grande just a MUV and not a SUV

with Gowda that Sumo is after all a SUMO even if it makes less noise it cant compare with a SUVcheers:
Old 12th August 2008, 19:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

hope its decided. Its Safari 2.2, right?
Old 12th August 2008, 19:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Bolero Crde

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Bolero has fantastic ride quality but it sleep-drives. Takes eons to get to 60 and eons to get back. Unless they launch one with the CRDe heart!

I would concur with the logan. Fantastic ride quality, goood AC but abominable interiors.
Bolero CRDE will be launched as I heard from reliable sources. It that happens, the sale would zoom.

--Ramky

========

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks