Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 19:58   #31
Team-BHP Support

I do not know whom you guys are actually advising. This thread is at least 2-3 months old now and the member in question is nowhere to be seen.

Ramkumar, why did you exactly dug up this old thread?
Old 12th August 2008, 23:56   #32
BHPian

i did not realise it either.

Last edited by chaxy : 12th August 2008 at 23:58.
Old 13th August 2008, 07:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I do not know whom you guys are actually advising. This thread is at least 2-3 months old now and the member in question is nowhere to be seen.

Ramkumar, why did you exactly dug up this old thread?
i did not advise this member at all, I just posted my comment on the vehicle as i recently test drove the vehicle.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Shanky go with Safari 2.2 VTT LX without any further discussion, the Quality, Presence the best you can get in the SUV's.

Ownership cost -

1st Service - Rs.150(1,000Kms)
2nd Service - Rs.2000 - Rs.3000(15,000kms)

Do you think this is too much to handle ???

No need to worry dude just go with The King - Tata Safari and give your family the best drive you can afford at that price range of 6 - 7 Lakhs with 3yrs warranty.
Is Safari 2.2 VTT available in 6 - 7 Lakhs of budget ?? Seems little less.
Old 19th August 2008, 01:22   #35
BHPian

Hi guys,

My sincere apologies for not updating the thread with current details. My brother and Mom test drove Grande and Safari Ex. Lx was not available for testing. But my frustration stems from the fact that my brother did not have technical details to tell me after the TD. All I am hearing are things like

1)Both cars are great
2)Safari's seats are better
3)etc.

Since they only TD'ed in the City, they could not really see how it feels in the highway

I was looking more details like

1) Which has less engine noise
2) Which has the better gear shifting
3) Which has better brakes (none have ABS since I am only considering LX and Grande)
4) Which gives less squeaky noise with suspensions?
5) Does one feel better than other while driving?
6) Steering response, etc.

But looks like I need to do another TD after I go to india next month and place the order right then. It is going to be a close call between Grande GX and Safari LX. My budget needs to be adjusted to fit either of these

In the meantime, if someone may help me with the following, that would be great

1) Has TATA improved the Safari Dicor quality over time? i.e. can anyone tell me that the problems that used to occur does not happen anymore? like those rattling noises, tires wearing out soon, etc.

2) Is the first generation Grande a stable enough platform?

3) My brother normally drives around than 100 kmph, so high speed issues are not a big deal. And Is Safari lot better than Grande in terms of stability and drive quality around 100 kmph?

Thanks for you opinions and suggestions.
Old 19th August 2008, 11:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Hi guys,

1) Has TATA improved the Safari Dicor quality over time? i.e. can anyone tell me that the problems that used to occur does not happen anymore? like those rattling noises, tires wearing out soon, etc.

2) Is the first generation Grande a stable enough platform?

3) My brother normally drives around than 100 kmph, so high speed issues are not a big deal. And Is Safari lot better than Grande in terms of stability and drive quality around 100 kmph?

Thanks for you opinions and suggestions.
1. Rattling is a like suddenly comes up, but if you go along with it Safari is the one best vehicle you can get.
2. Grande is stable as we have not heard any issues till now.
3. Tata Safari is better any given day

The new Safari with the 2.2VTT engine is the best you can get.
Old 2nd September 2008, 18:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

My first service charge was Rs 10/ for a missing plastic fastner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Hi gowda79, the 1st service charge is Rs.40/- Atleast that's what Concorde Motors charges.

Hi Gshanky, have you finalized on your purchase yet?
Gshanky ,

(1) Safari base model will cost you around 9.15 lakhs on road and add cost of bare basic accessories such as music system , Seat covers , Sunfilm etc. So budget for around 9.5 lakhs in Bangalore.
On the other thought if your parents travel once a month to Chennai / Pondicherry then buy it in Podicherry and save on road tax and GST ( Around 1 Lakh I guess) , Ask them to preserve a fuel recipt bill every time while returning to bangalore , Karnataka Registration is not required for first 6 months of entry for outside vehical.

(2) Sumo Grande : Engine is good and peppy over all value for money and can seat 8 passengers in comfort, This is a good alternative to Innova.
but fit and finish of interiors is not so good will cost you 8 lakh + on road in Bangalore.

In 5 to 7 lakh the only MUV you can buy are

(1) Mahindra Bolero : Rugged and proven but no refinement and not fit for your parents.

(2) Sonalika Rhino : Specifications good on paper but not proven , Service can be an issue I have seen just one in Bangalore though I saw quite a few in north India.

Regards
Amit

Last edited by amitk26 : 2nd September 2008 at 18:45.
Old 7th September 2008, 09:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My first service charge was Rs 10/ for a missing plastic fastner

Gshanky ,

(1) Safari base model will cost you around 9.15 lakhs on road and add cost of bare basic accessories such as music system , Seat covers , Sunfilm etc. So budget for around 9.5 lakhs in Bangalore.
On the other thought if your parents travel once a month to Chennai / Pondicherry then buy it in Podicherry and save on road tax and GST ( Around 1 Lakh I guess) , Ask them to preserve a fuel recipt bill every time while returning to bangalore , Karnataka Registration is not required for first 6 months of entry for outside vehical.

(2) Sumo Grande : Engine is good and peppy over all value for money and can seat 8 passengers in comfort, This is a good alternative to Innova.
but fit and finish of interiors is not so good will cost you 8 lakh + on road in Bangalore.

In 5 to 7 lakh the only MUV you can buy are

(1) Mahindra Bolero : Rugged and proven but no refinement and not fit for your parents.

(2) Sonalika Rhino : Specifications good on paper but not proven , Service can be an issue I have seen just one in Bangalore though I saw quite a few in north India.

Regards
Amit
Amit,

Thanks for the info. At my insistence, my brother and my mom have test driven quite a few cars/suv/muv. Some of them are

1) Sumo Grande (This is choice no. 3 now. They liked the vehicle for the peppy engine and over all comfort for city driving)
2) Safari (It is weird that my mom is indifferent to this and my brother doesn't like because this is not fit enough for city driving)
3) Innova (Choice no. 1. This is the wholesome favorite. But my brother feels this is very big and doesn't like the looks)
4) Scorpio mHawk (Choice no. 2. My mom who liked the Sumo Grande until now, says that grande doesn't have enough space compared to scorpio. . My brother likes it for the engine and build quality. This is also my dad's favourite)
5) Tavera. (For some reason, no one likes this)
6) Indigo (We need more space than a sedan)

I still want them to test Indigo Marina, but seems like tata is going to upgrade the indigo series soon, so i'll have to wait. Though I like to buy something from the tata stable, I think I have to give in to the practical needs of the family. So, I guess as such innova is out of the equation because it is very big and we can't fit it in our portico. If it were me, I would just buy the safari Dicor LX. But i am not the one doing the driving and traveling.

So, it is a tie between Sumo Grande and Scorpio. I guess I am going to push them to buy the grande just because it is going to be around 2-3 lakhs cheaper than the mHawk.

Can anybody help me with the Price, discount, negotiation information for Grande and mHawk in Bangalore? Additional information about which dealer is better would also be helpful. We live in Vijaya Nagar area, so my brother is looking for something nearby for convenience.
Old 7th September 2008, 13:56   #39
Senior - BHPian

if the tie is between the grande and the scorpio 2.2, pls go for the mHAWK. of course, if money is not that big an issue.
you get a much better image, features, build quality and a fantastic engine. you will love driving it, i bet. the grande's archaic laef spring setup is a pain in the back! but i am suprised that your mom said "grande doesn't have enough space compared to scorpio"!
even i feel that innova is very big but that translates into its enormous interior space. even i hate its boring looks and not so good engine, but still its a very good product.
Old 7th September 2008, 20:44   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
but i am suprised that your mom said "grande doesn't have enough space compared to scorpio"!
I guess it is one of the finer qualities of women. They compliment what they like . Haha. Me and my brother had a good time laughing about it.
Old 8th September 2008, 18:08   #41
BHPian

@gshanky

Why don't you have a look at Indigo XL. The back seat space is compared to a S class and it comes with a dicor engine and should fit within your budget.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
@gshanky

Why don't you have a look at Indigo XL. The back seat space is compared to a S class and it comes with a dicor engine and should fit within your budget.
read his first post. he needs a SUV/MUV type vehicle.
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:52   #43
BHPian

It is time to give life to this old thread. I am in bangalore and would be booking either scorpio or sumo grande within next two days. (Currently leaning towards new look scorpio SLE)

I am looking for any/all information regarding

1) Availing Loan - currently talking to HDFC and HSBC (against my FD)
2) Any discounts from the dealer
3) Should I opt for Insurance and Road Tax from the dealer? Seems like a Rip-off

Please reply/PM me so that I could gain from the collective knowledge .
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is time to give life to this old thread. I am in bangalore and would be booking either scorpio or sumo grande within next two days. (Currently leaning towards new look scorpio SLE)

A lot has changed on this thread from its original days. Sumo Grande though looks good and is comfortable, may I take this opportunity to confuse you more by suggesting the Xylo. It is nice, well packaged, comfortable and certainly a winner.
Old 2nd April 2009, 12:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am looking for any/all information regarding

1) Availing Loan - currently talking to HDFC and HSBC (against my FD)
2) Any discounts from the dealer
3) Should I opt for Insurance and Road Tax from the dealer? Seems like a Rip-off

Gshanky,

1) A word of advice from a banker. In the current scenario, its always better to go for a loan against FD. All banks are wary of unsecured lending, and hence will push for secured loans. You'll pay much lower interest rates, and the sanction will be easy to come by. Bargain hard!

2) All dealers should be offering discounts on the Sumo Grande. Dont think there will be any on the Scorpio. However, to concur with what others have said earlier on this thread, Scorpio will be a much better choice on all parameters - if you have the cash.

3) You should always try for insurance from external sources. Its much cheaper than dealer insurance, and comes with no hidden costs. Road tax however is better done through the dealer. Registering the car involves too much running around, which the dealer is in a better position to do thanks to his network and rapport with MV department. Dont think of handling registration on your own unless you have contacts in the MV department and plenty of time!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks