Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2008, 23:54   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat001 View Post
somehow i knew that pavan would suggest the safari only..wonder why though??
Inspite of you having driven all the cars and SUV's around. You would very well agree that it was only the Safari that was the most comfortable SUV to be driven around.

After getting rid of it, you are not able to find another replacement.

Waiting to see your new 2.2 Safari soon.
Old 5th June 2013, 19:19   #32
BHPian

PLanning to buy a used Honda CRV 2007

Hi friends,

Need some important and quick advice from you guys, particularly from CRV owners. I have been looking to buy a SUV for sometime now. My usage will be less and I always felt a used CRV will be the best fit for my needs. All the new SUVs are either overpriced or some which don't offer the safety features until I opt the highest model.

I have come across a used CRV 2007 model , 4WD that has done close to 70k kms. Car looks in good condition with few scratches here and there (as expected from a 5 year old vehicle). Price being quoted at close to 8.5lacs.

I am looking at two areas where I need some advice

1. What is the realistic price I can negotiate for? - The tyres definitely need to go as the threads are worn out. THere are few tears in the seating and arm-rests which needs to be fixed. Other than that there are no visible issues. Starts smooth and all electrical are in working condition. The car is accident free and the VIN number has been decoded and looks fine.

2. What parts are most common to fail in CRV and what can I expect to replace in the next 3 years or so? I will change to a new SUV after 3 years.

I couldn't do a test drive today as the car was getting cleaned and also wifey was not with me. so will take the test drive in 2 days time.

PLs help me as I am getting a bit jittery with the thoughts of buying used vehicles in India. It was a walk in the park when I did buy used cars in USA.

Appreciate any pointers.

Cheers
Old 5th June 2013, 20:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: PLanning to buy a used Honda CRV 2007

I just checked the valuation for the car on Carwale.com. The price quoted to you is very high. I think the price can be negotiated to a sweeter figure especially since you have immediate major expenses on the car (Tyres and interior)

70 K is high running and I would suggest you to take an expert along to check all the mechanicals. Try to get the service history of the car which will give you a good back ground of the vehicle.

You can try different evaluations at the link below

http://www.carwale.com/used/carvalua...=23843088&vt=1
Old 5th June 2013, 21:23   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I just checked the valuation for the car on Carwale.com. The price quoted to you is very high.

http://www.carwale.com/used/carvalua...=23843088&vt=1
Thanks for the reply. I think you are getting a lower quote because you are selecting the CRV [2003-2007] model in the drop-down. There is another selection with just "CR-V" which will give you a higher price evaluation. That is the right one, as this is the newer generation CRV and not the "boxy" type.
Old 7th June 2013, 19:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
2. What parts are most common to fail in CRV and what can I expect to replace in the next 3 years or so? I will change to a new SUV after 3 years.
Just a thought. 3 yrs is not a long time. If you are willing to wait that much, am sure a Diesel CRV would be in the offering. Wouldnt you want to invest this money in that vehicle?
(Assuming you already have vehicles to run with).
Old 12th June 2013, 16:47   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
I have come across a used CRV 2007 model , 4WD that has done close to 70k kms. Car looks in good condition with few scratches here and there (as expected from a 5 year old vehicle). Price being quoted at close to 8.5lacs.
The CRV has poor resale due to it being a petrol. AT & AWD would make it even worse in terms of FE. MT is better at FE.

I guess you are considering the CRV for it's looks, and AWD and are expecting reliability considering it is a Honda- All True. But for the year you mention about 7.5-8L seems OK for the 70K running it has done. You would need to add about Rs. 50K for the Tyres though.

Yet seeing this query coming about now I would suggest that if the EcoSport Titanium (O) lands for about 10L OTR then that is a better option in this segment and the running costs will be much lower besides the warranty will mean peace of mind for a few years. Pls wait for the price release of the Ecosport which should be in the next few days.

The CRV will be more spacious by a bit but both can at most seat 5 and if you go the AT route the DSG box of the EcoSport will be better (smoother and faster) by a mile and will significantly bring down the power difference in real world usage.
Old 12th June 2013, 17:03   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Hi friends,

come across a used CRV 2007 model , 4WD that has done close to 70k kms. Car looks in good condition with few scratches here and there (as expected from a 5 year old vehicle). Price being quoted at close to 8.5lacs.

1. What is the realistic price I can negotiate for? - The tyres definitely need to go as the threads are worn out. THere are few tears in the seating and arm-rests which needs to be fixed. Other than that there are no visible issues. Starts smooth and all electrical are in working condition. The car is accident free and the VIN number has been decoded and looks fine.

I couldn't do a test drive today as the car was getting cleaned and also wifey was not with me. so will take the test drive in 2 days time.

PLs help me as I am getting a bit jittery with the thoughts of buying used vehicles in India. It was a walk in the park when I did buy used cars in USA.

Appreciate any pointers.

Cheers

1.The CRV is an excellent city and highway SUV because it is basically a Comfy and spacious Crossover vehicle- the ideal 'Soccer Mom Wagon'.
2.Most CRV's sold in India were AWD, though if I remember right, they did introduce a 2WD too, for a bit, in this new curved shape. I would imagine this CRV you are looking at is not the older Boxy rectangular one but the slightly curved one which was introduced around 2007 or so.
3. 8.5 lacs does sound like a normal Bangalore price! The price can be negotiated especially since it has done 70k kms. 70k kms in Indian conditions is like 180000kms in US conditions. I would say ask the man to drop by another 50k to 70k or even a lac or so. You can use the ploy regarding the fact that you have to spend at least 50k on the tyres and another 25k on the upholstery etc to bring the vehicle up to scratch. Also, in case there is a major service coming up, it might cost another 15 or 20k. Best to tell them straight and see what happens. I would suggest 7.75lacs to be a good price for this car, but this being Bangalore the sellers typically tend to be greedy - if you cannot convince the bloke, then I think you should keep looking for a bit longer. These cars are not really in short supply.
4. Most definitely take a test drive. Also please take it to an authorized Honda service centre like Whitefield Honda or any other and ask them to do a proper engine diagnostic test. This is a worthwhile investment.
5. Also, ask the owner for the complete details of the service history as this is an important pointer to the health of the vehicle.
6. Try and buy your CRV from a good dealer OR preferably do a direct purchase from an individual.
7. Some reasonably decent multi-brand car dealers are; Classic Motors, Royal Carz Koramangala, The Car House Koramangala, Toyota U Trust, Hyundai Advantage, Mahindra First Choice, Carnation. Of these, the first three tend to handle more of the higher end vehicles than the others.

Wish you all the best.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th June 2013 at 17:06.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:24   #38
BHPian

Re: Which one to go for? Used Honda CRV or New Tata Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Most definitely take a test drive. Also please take it to an authorized Honda service centre like Whitefield Honda or any other and ask them to do a proper engine diagnostic test. This is a worthwhile investment.
Thanks Shankar for the detailed feedback. I was pretty much sold on the CRV and was waiting for the past 3 days for the dealer to call me to take a test drive of the car. The CRV had gone for their regular small fixes and there were some seat tears that needed to be addressed. I was to take a look and test drive today at 4pm.

The dealer calls me around noon and tells me that the car is ready and he is also getting couple of other interested customers as well. So, he wanted me to get down to negotiation and fix the pricing without the test drive or any other info on it's servicing and the rest of the check. I said "Thank you very much, you can sell your car to anyone who will buy it without a test drive" and hung-up the phone.

Very disappointed with the way these guys wants us to buy cars. These are not tomatoes we are buying, what do these guys expect? Infact, even tomatoes are being tested individually now as they cost Rs.90 in Bangalore

I like CRV, the previous generation one, which meets my needs on comfort, space, safety features, reliability of Honda and AWD. My usage is very less (this will be the second car for the family) and petrol works for me as this will be used for probably 2 long drives in a month outside Bangalore for the family. there a few available in the used market in Bangalore and even if you find one, the dealers play a game on you.

I would buy a Renault Duster petrol if only they offer safety features in it. Hope the Nissan version of Duster comes with good safety features for the petrol version as well.

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 12th June 2013 at 19:26. Reason: correction
Old 12th June 2013, 19:30   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Thanks Shankar for the detailed feedback. I was pretty much sold on the CRV and was waiting for the past 3 days for the dealer to call me to take a test drive of the car. The CRV had gone for their regular small fixes and there were some seat tears that needed to be addressed. I was to take a look and test drive today at 4pm.

The dealer calls me around noon and tells me that the car is ready and he is also getting couple of other interested customers as well. So, he wanted me to get down to

I would buy a Renault Duster petrol if only they offer safety features in it. Hope the Nissan version of Duster comes with good safety features for the petrol version as well.
Thats why they are called Dirty Dealers!
You know, you may just be doing yourself a favour if you consider a second hand Nissan X Trail. There seem to be quite a number around and they are great cars too. With the added benefit of being Diesel driven, loaded with Safety features and having more than sufficient space for a family of 5 or 6 with tons of luggage...these cars are priced between 9-12 lacs and are solid vehicles for that price. Else, you might want to look for a Captiva. However, Captivas are quite expensive. It is hard to get one this side of 14 lacs. Keep trawling carwale, there are many nice cars that keep popping up there if you monitor the site closely.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2013, 19:01   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

what's your take on the boxy crvs with cng.
there seem to be a lot of them around. how much does the crv give on cng?
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CR-V 2.4 iVTEC driven

This model of the CR-V is now available in the used car market for 3.5 to 4.5 lakhs. I was looking for inputs from members on how relevant would this model be in today's times.
- Spare parts should not be a problem since the CR-V sells in huge numbers globally, any part would be available on e-bay
- Mileage, wonder how it stacks up on today's rate of 80 plus rupees to a litre
- For the price of a Wagon-R, you get much much more
Old 22nd June 2014, 12:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CR-V 2.4 iVTEC driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
This model of the CR-V is now available in the used car market for 3.5 to 4.5 lakhs. I was looking for inputs from members on how relevant would this model be in today's times.
- Spare parts should not be a problem since the CR-V sells in huge numbers globally, any part would be available on e-bay
- Mileage, wonder how it stacks up on today's rate of 80 plus rupees to a litre
- For the price of a Wagon-R, you get much much more
In my humble opinion, it would be a bad idea to get such an old car. Honda parts arent cheap.

Ok, you have eBay but then, how long would you wait? Are the parts available within indian eBay sellers?
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 14:25   #43
BHPian

I have recently acquired a 2003 2WD Auto CRV which has done 85000kms.
I have purchased it from the first owner who has always driven the car himself (no driver). The car has the 2ltr K (Legendary) series DOHC Engine.

Here is the cost breakdown including labour and parts

Cost of the car- 2,50,000
2 New Front Tyres- 11,000 (205/70 R-15 Yokohamas)
Front Suspension- 40000 (incl socks, springs)
New Power steering pump- 15,000
New serpentine belt- 3,500
Automatic Transmission Fluid Replaced- 2,500

Total Cost- Rs 3,22,000

Now the car runs flawlessly just like new and it has amazing acceleration but the fuel economy is 7kmpl.

Even today there is no SUV which comes close to the 2nd Gen CRV in terms of looks, comfort, performance.
ironager is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 18:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You know, you may just be doing yourself a favour if you consider a second hand Nissan X Trail. There seem to be quite a number around and they are great cars too. With the added benefit of being Diesel driven, loaded with Safety features and having more than sufficient space for a family of 5 or 6 with tons of luggage...these cars are priced between 9-12 lacs and are solid vehicles for that price.
How expensive are X Trails to maintain? Are parts available given that it has been discontinued? Any known reliability issues? I've hardly seen any on the road (and on carwale etc)!

A used CRV is brilliant vfm from a buying perspective but it will have high running costs - low FE, petrol engine and parts are expensive (and sometimes not available with Honda). Maybe one can do an excel sheet calculation for a 3 year total cost of ownership (assuming that's how long one will hold onto it), and compare to a new Duster/Ecosport/Terrano. Will take a crack at it I think.

Last edited by razor4077 : 8th July 2014 at 18:43.

Most Viewed