Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 03:52   #1
BHPian

Which one to go for? Used Honda CRV or New Tata Safari

HI All,
It's time to buy a new vehicle for myself so it's confusion time again .

Since i already have 2 sedans with me ,so this time i wanted to go for a SUV/MUV.after a lot of thinking and researching the new Tata Safari 2.2
was the 1st option as we all know that we dont have a cheaper SUV than a Tata Safari,but again was a little sceptical because of the issues one faces with it,though the new Safari 2.2 has definately impressed everybody with it's performance but some of the fellow TBHPians have faced issues with it, that's why the concern.
Since it's my 1st SUV as have always driven a sedan or a Hatchback,i would definately like something which gives me less of Trouble.

while i was making up my mind to go for a safari 2.2 i found out that a very close relative of our's was interested in selling off his 2004 Honda CRV 2.4 ivtec (All Wheel Drive with Automatic transmission) with ABS and Airbags.The car is in immaculate condition and has done only 30,000 Km in city driving and i know that for sure that the car has never met with an accident or has never been abused(infact i am sure my uncle has never driven her above 60km/hr).so that also came up as a good option.

now i am very confused as to which one should i go in for.

the car will be basically used for commuting to office(20 km /day) or occassionally for weekend Breaks(like going to jaipur,musorie etc.)

My requirements are :

1) Stable at high speeds and cornering
2) Low maintenence (like higher servive intervals also less costly spares,i hardly have time to go to workshops again and agian for any issues so would prefer something which give me less trouble)
3) Must Have Good acceleration and Smooth Ride.
4) Comfortable for City Driving(as will be used by Wifey and Brother also sometimes).

Thanks in Advance for all your inputs.
Old 25th June 2008, 11:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Honda CRV fits your needs to the T. I'd say go for the CRV as long as you are sure about the car being clean. A 30K Honda is a virgin, for all practical purposes. It will serve you well for a long long time.

Only flip side will be the low FE; the CRV was never light on fuel and this example, being the automatic version, will not give you more than 6.xx kpl in an urban driving cycle.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:01   #3
Senior - BHPian

If running costs are not an issue, CRV is a beauty to own & drive (still dreaming). Comparatively, the Safari 2.2 will be light on the pocket.
Old 25th June 2008, 12:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for the CR-V, if your budget permits, how much is it costing you?

A diesel doesn't justify completely in this situation as your runnings is below 1000kms a month, i suppose?

And last but not the least, the CR-V blows the Safari out in every aspect possible... it truly is in a different league.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:45   #5
BHPian

If you don't have any reservations on the mileage and fuel costs then the CRV it should be. Also keep in mind that its a petrol and as GTO said, being an automatic, it will give a maximum mileage of 7 kmpl. If you are concerned about the mileage, then you should look at the 2.2 4X4 Safari VX. It comes loaded with ABS with EBD and front Airbags. Also thrown in are the LCD screens for the rear passengers and a visual reverse system. Your call.
Old 25th June 2008, 16:51   #6
BHPian

if fuel economy is a concern then, stay away from the CRV..for everything else, stay with it..

Else the Safari 2.2 (this is pretty loaded with goodies et al)
gods-envy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2008, 16:58   #7
BANNED

Honda CRV ,, no doubt about it
Old 25th June 2008, 17:29   #8
BHPian

If you're sure about the ocndition of the CR-V then go for it, just forget about the economy
Old 25th June 2008, 17:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Do not live up to your name and buy a new Safari. All things considered, a used 30-40K CRV is zillion times better than a showroom Safari.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

The CRV seems to be the better option here.
Old 25th June 2008, 17:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Though the CRV is a good match of good engineering, interiors and all in all is a very good SUV by any standards, but looking at your requirements, I dont thing that it would be low on maintenance in terms of FE, cost of spares, servicing costs, etc (others who have kept the CRV would be able to elobrate). But I definitely think that the service costs would definitely be more, when compared to the 2.2

Simply having a look at the FE figures

CRV will cost you about Rs.8.33 per KM (cost of fuel Premium 50/- per liter and a FE of 6KM/liter)
The 2.2 on the other hand will cost you about Rs.3.50 per KM (cost of diesel fuel Premium 35/- per liter and a FE of 10KM/liter)

So considering a monthly commute of about 600 KM for the city and lets say another 300KM for the highway, comes to a difference of Rs.4000-4400 per month.

now to the question whether this amount is substantial or not, Thats a personal question to answer.

Lastly, again I would say that the two SUV's cannot be compared, and just the FE figures should not be a basis to choose or reject any vehicle.

But, both the vehicles are good in their own segment.
Best of luch deciding your pick and keep us updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucka View Post

2) Low maintenence (like higher servive intervals also less costly spares,i hardly have time to go to workshops again and agian for any issues so would prefer something which give me less trouble)
Also you have not mentioned, at what price are you getting the CRV for.
I used this calculator at Check value of your car for FREE - CarWale.com India and they have given a value between 7.28 to 8.10 L. (I used Jun 04 as I dint know your mfg month. But that will change it by a small %)
Attached Thumbnails
Which one to go for? Used Honda CRV or New Tata Safari-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by harjeev : 25th June 2008 at 17:57.
Old 25th June 2008, 18:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

You did not mention the respective costs. The Honda is likely to be the quality pick. At this point in time you might start to think, all of us, what is likely to be the next fuel as petroleum is dwindling. And, is a diesel or a petrol motor going to be easier to convert to its use.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think it will be good to go for the car on stilts(crv). I refuse to call the crv an suv.
Since you are upgrading from a sedan and also from the point of view of your requirements the crv is what you should go for.
Old 26th June 2008, 01:01   #14
BHPian

Thanks Everybody for all your inputs,

Seems like CRV is the unanimous Choice.Even i was also a little more bent towards CRV itself because of the same reasons everybody has already mentioned above.

I am Getting CRV for Around 7 lacs(i know he would fetch more money by selling it elsewhere,but would give it to me for 7 lacs).and even a safari 2.2 lx would cost around 8.15 lacs (on road) in delhi.
CRV comes bundled with all the safety features like ABS and Airbags which is missing from the Safari, and i think prchasing CRV will save money initially coz it already comes loaded with the ICE,alloys and Upgraded footwear,however if i go for a safari will definately have to spend on the ICE,Alloys and Better Footwear which itself would add up to a good amount.
Fuel economy is not that bigger a problem as the daily run is not much.

but what i am concerned about is the cost of spares,service intervals and day to day maintenance costs.
probably the Safari 2.2 and Crv owners will be able to elaborate more on that .

But As of now it feels like CRV is the right Choice.

waiting for more Suggestions..
Old 26th June 2008, 08:35   #15
BHPian

If you are comparing the CRV to the Safari LX then the CRV will win hands (and everything else) down! There cannot be any comparison, go for the CRV. As far as the cost of spares and repairs are concerned, that will be an issue but since you will get the CRV for 7 lakhs, there is not much to worry about since the a new LX will cost you about 8.5 lakhs on road. So you would still have saved money in case something major breaks down in the CRV. Basically, there can be no comparison between a CRV and a Safari LX. Go for the CRV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks