Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 22:47   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
@ sumitb: i dint test drive it but have been driven around in it. apart from the comment of the driver itself, i found the engine straining and lacking any momentum expected from a car of this price segment.

@ suman: i am benchmarking it against the tucson (even though its a diesel) and earlier generation CRV as these are similarly priced SUVs.
I find it strange that you are making this claim only after being driven around and on the words of your driver. Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning your judgment here, but we have a very satisfied moderator (Samurai) and a very distinguished gentleman (Sudev) whose credentials cannot be questioned. They are owners of the Vitara. Samurai has put his vehicle under a lot of abuses and as for Sudev, he has driven over 55000 kms. in about 11 months. They never claimed that the Vitara was "underpowered".

Coming to the topic of the Tuscon , can you please direct me to a source who can give me a NEW Tuscon or the CRV for 14 lakhs on road anywhere in India? I and many other members will treat you in any restaurant of your choice anywhere in India. Point is Mr. Raj. Stop loose talk. Get your facts right before making tall claims!

PS: I am still open to my offer to you about getting me a NEW Tuscon or the CRV (earlier generation), albeit manufactured in 2007, for 14lakhs +- 50K on road. You are claiming similarly priced and I am not even going to ask you how you decided that 14 lakhs and 16 lakhs can be called "similar"!

Last edited by SumitB : 9th July 2008 at 22:55.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:47   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
i dont suggest a GV as i feel its engine is underpowered for the segment. but it looks great.
Unless you are planning to drag, GV has adequate power to handle all that you can throw at it. After 6000Kms and 8 months, do you know how many problems I have had with it? None! This is despite me doing off-roading stunts with it. I don't know why people measure SUV performance using 0-100 figures. Also look at Sudev's 50,000Kms report and how many part changes he has needed after driving in some of the toughest terrain in North India.
Old 10th July 2008, 06:39   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

To concede a point to Raj_5004 the GV feels underpowered at very low RPM range but the problem is easily solved by shifting gears properly. I normally shift to fifth ~50kph but do not expect that you will get "acceleration" here. OTOH in fifith you will not notice "acceleration" around ~100 and will be constantly surprised how easily you will cruise past 140!

I think a fully laden GV with three people on board doing Manali-Leh much easier than Esteem/Armada/Qualis (vehicle I have driven in the past on the same route in similar conditions) proves the usable power equation rather than low end or pure drag. And handling it in tight traffic condition is also easy thanks to slightly smaller body dimensions vis turning radius.

Of course we could do with more power always but be ready to pay for it in terms of FE loss. AND I am a fan of GV after having driven CRV/Tuscon/Endevour/Scorpio/Sumo/Safari/Gypsy/+More over varying terrains.

For the 2007 Desert Storm we did one "on road and off road" recce in a Tuscon and there also at the low end of RPM range you get judders with engine plus drive train straining AND you do not have option of "High" "Low" transfer case. OP wanted the vehicle capale of slight jungle use (wild life parks) where this feature will be handy when crossing river beds and all. And you do not have to do forward/backward stunt to engage the 4low (see4x4 threads) just shift the on board knob.

Forrester/Tuscon would have been an alternative but no longer being produced. Especially Forrestor if some one is looking for one of the best handling vehicles but for even worse low end and actually standing stat is a pain if you are on an incline.
New Endevour is a big boat to handle in city traffic. Okay if you are going to ask the driver to take care of it. But it is a beast that is very capable off road, price is higher.

Scorpio is nice but for rear seat leg room and slightly more pronounced roll tedency.
Believe you me I tested (and still do) many offerings (courtsey a friend who does a TV auto show) and while GV may not score top in many a place for the price-feature package it is really good (Could have been better is always a refrain all of us have for all vehicles) coupled with Maruti sevice network which is hard to beat.
Old 10th July 2008, 09:24   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ suman: i am benchmarking it against the tucson (even though its a diesel) and earlier generation CRV as these are similarly priced SUVs.
Two softroaders which don't even have a 4L option - come one Raj, be practical! I couldn't have put it better -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't know why people measure SUV performance using 0-100 figures.
Also, I feel that even in respect of Road Presence, the GV is way ahead of both the Tucson & the CRV. Not to mention the fact that the Tucson, when it was available, had simply no add-on options available & was a take it or leave it package which was just unacceptable at that price range. It offered literally NOTHING apart from really BASIC stuff

Last edited by suman : 10th July 2008 at 09:29.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:31   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I find it strange that you are making this claim only after being driven around and on the words of your driver. Don't get me wrong, I am not questioning your judgment here, but we have a very satisfied moderator (Samurai) and a very distinguished gentleman (Sudev) whose credentials cannot be questioned. They are owners of the Vitara. Samurai has put his vehicle under a lot of abuses and as for Sudev, he has driven over 55000 kms. in about 11 months. They never claimed that the Vitara was "underpowered".

Coming to the topic of the Tuscon , can you please direct me to a source who can give me a NEW Tuscon or the CRV for 14 lakhs on road anywhere in India? I and many other members will treat you in any restaurant of your choice anywhere in India. Point is Mr. Raj. Stop loose talk. Get your facts right before making tall claims!

PS: I am still open to my offer to you about getting me a NEW Tuscon or the CRV (earlier generation), albeit manufactured in 2007, for 14lakhs +- 50K on road. You are claiming similarly priced and I am not even going to ask you how you decided that 14 lakhs and 16 lakhs can be called "similar"!
as is said sumit, it was my opinion. so why are you getting so anxious? as directed by a moderator in some other thread, it will be better if we post our opinions rather than contradictiong others's posts and prove our point.

still, i will answer to your post. here, i am not against any comment made by samurai and sudev. but the driver i mentioned used to drive a corolla. he told me that the vehicle is not as responsive and fun to drive as a corolla which is a segment below. as for the pricing, i am not aware of the actual on road price of the GV and the tucson, but even if the hyundai is a lakh or two more expensive, does that make a hell of a difference to you? so for me, the GV is not a good option. is that fine for you?

P.S: i have been receiving phrases like "loose talk" and "tall claims" from your side for quite some time now in numerous posts. its best avoided. thank you.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Two softroaders which don't even have a 4L option - come one Raj, be practical! I couldn't have put it better -
you think a GV can do some serious off roading? i dont think so.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:42   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

No point of stating obvious over and over again..GV is not extreme off roader but is capable of some nifty stuff. BUT is the OP looking for serious off roading capabilities?
Old 10th July 2008, 18:44   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you think a GV can do some serious off roading? i dont think so.
Lets discuss that on a separate thread but since you asked - Yes, I think it can do far more serious off-roading that the other two you have mentioned.

Do some you-tubing, you'll know what I mean. Or read our ownership threads.

Quote:
but the driver i mentioned used to drive a corolla. he told me that the vehicle is not as responsive and fun to drive as a corolla which is a segment below.
So you are actually comparing a SEDAN with a SUV - yet you're talking about "segments"?

Last edited by suman : 10th July 2008 at 18:48.
Old 10th July 2008, 19:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
as is said sumit, it was my opinion. so why are you getting so anxious? as directed by a moderator in some other thread, it will be better if we post our opinions rather than contradictiong others's posts and prove our point.

still, i will answer to your post. here, i am not against any comment made by samurai and sudev. but the driver i mentioned used to drive a corolla. he told me that the vehicle is not as responsive and fun to drive as a corolla which is a segment below. as for the pricing, i am not aware of the actual on road price of the GV and the tucson, but even if the hyundai is a lakh or two more expensive, does that make a hell of a difference to you? so for me, the GV is not a good option. is that fine for you?

P.S: i have been receiving phrases like "loose talk" and "tall claims" from your side for quite some time now in numerous posts. its best avoided. thank you.
You are very well and truly entitled to your opinion, but if you post your opinion on an open forum such as this, then you have to be prepared to do some explaining. You claim that you driver tells you that the Vitara is "underpowered" and you too "feel" the same and when I tell you that we have 2 members on the forum who never ever complained about it, you tell me that I am contradicting you? I never claimed that I have ever sat in a Vitara or have driven it, I simply mentioned that someone on the forum who has the vehicle never complained about it! Where is the contradiction in that?

As Suman rightly pointed out, what makes you think that the Corolla and the Vitara are comparable? You mean to say that a sedan is the same type of a vehicle as a SUV?

When you say that you are not aware of the actual on-road pricing of the Vitara, don't you read the previous posts in this thread before replying? Sudev clearly mentioned that the GV can be had for an on-road price of 14 lakhs in Delhi. I don't know how many here will agree with you that a lakh or two makes no difference. Anyways, I am not here to prove anything to you. All I am trying to tell you is that if you post on a public forum, then you must be prepared for the brickbats. As is the case with me here, my opinion is not acceptable to you, similarly it may so happen that your opinion may not be acceptable to others. In this case, there is bound to be arguements and counter arguements. As long as these arguements and counter arguements makes one learn something, they must be taken positively.

Lastly, I don't think I ever accused you of lying anywhere, either here or on some other thread. Anyways, if you felt that way, then please accept my unconditional apologies. I joined this forum with the sole objective of learning about my passion and that I am doing.
Old 10th July 2008, 19:56   #55
BANNED

I will treat both you gentlemen (SumitB and raj_5004) to drinks and dinner if you will please stick to the topic.
Old 10th July 2008, 20:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I will treat both you gentlemen (SumitB and raj_5004) to drinks and dinner if you will please stick to the topic.
I just logged in back to ask RedCandle what his decision was and I saw your post.

RedCandle please update us!
Old 10th July 2008, 22:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

@ suman & sumitB: i am not comparing the corolla and GV on handling or ride basis. i agree that a sedan is normally assumed to have better performance figures than a SUV. but given that price bracket in which the GV is placed, it ought to deliver more. i have not driven or sat in the current gen CRV and so i wont compare with it. but i have driven the tucson and it is way better than the maruti in overall feel and performance, even though it being a diesel. and if you have to pay a lakh more for it, its worth it. thats what i meant about the pricing factor.
even i know that nobody has complained about the GV, its ownership experience maybe good. i have no idea since i dont own it. but i still dont recommend a GV since better options are available, thats what i feel. this is not reading any reviews but my own opinion.
Old 11th July 2008, 10:21   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes Redcandle, what are your views?
Do let us know!
cheers
shankar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I just logged in back to ask RedCandle what his decision was .

RedCandle please update us!
Old 15th July 2008, 02:36   #59
BHPian

Hey Guys,

Firstly, Thanks a lot for every single comment / debate / argument. They all contribute. My father still likes the Scorpio but quite likes the looks of Vitara. Had a short discussion with him over the phone if he could afford the Vitara... to which he said, "...can be done."

The conversation has been stuck there since. He did say that he would keep an eye out for Vitaras on the road and will TD one as soon as his schedule allows him to. But unfortunately, due to other (business) priorities the car buying decision has taken the back seat.

I am pretty sure that he can abuy the Vitara (in terms of liquid cash) and would make up his mind after the TD. Until that happens.... this thread may even be dormant.

Will definitely come back when closer to the decision.

Thanks once again guys.

Redcandle

Most Viewed