Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 22:13   #1

Queries on buying a new Safari LX

Hi All,

I plan to buy a new Safari Dicor LX 2.2 next month (August). I have the following queries regarding the same. Request u all to pls guide me in this matter...

1) I plan to buy in Chennai, since I have come to know that vehicle prices are cheap here, by virtue of no VAT. Moreover, I am buying through the defence canteen. I made some enquires and the the ex-showroom price (via canteen) comes out to 6.82 lacs in Chennai. I checked out the Tata Safari website and the ex-showroom price (not thro canteen) in Chennai is given to be 7.82 lacs. My question is this; can the margin if I buy thro the canteen be as large as 1 lakh, or is the canteen price that is quoted incorrect?

2) What would be the on road price? Safari owners from Chennai/TN, pls help...

3) I am a native of Bangalore and I wish to get the vehicle registered in Bangalore (senti about KA registration, actually...;-). Can I do that, ie, buy the vehicle in Chennai and drive down and get it registered in Bangalore?

4) If so, what does registration involve? Do I have to pay life time road tax in Bangalore? I guess its abt 90,000 Rs for Safari. Is there any exemption/discount for Defence personnel?

5) If I decide to register it in TN, do I have to get any no objection certificate to use it in Karnataka? Or can I use it without any extra RTO paperwork?

6) Suppose I have small minor problems with the vehicle, what can I do to get it resolved? I mean, I would be in Bangalore whereas the dealer would be in Chennai. Can I expect good, prompt service from dealers in Bangalore in these cases?

Can the enlightened ones pls throw some light with regard to the above questions?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
Chetan
Old 10th July 2008, 11:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you buy in Chennai and register in Bangalore, I don't think you will save any money you think you would. The Road tax in Bangalore is highest. So, buying here and registering in other place may help not vice versa.
Also, since it is canteen price, i would suggest you to check in Bangalore canteen.
This should help you to get good service with the same dealers.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Canteen prices have a lot of taxes removed. So check canteen prices in BLR also, it will be simpler to buy and register at the same place.
Even financing becomes simpler.
Old 10th July 2008, 11:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.chetan View Post
Hi All,

1) I plan to buy in Chennai, since I have come to know that vehicle prices are cheap here, by virtue of no VAT. Moreover, I am buying through the defence canteen. I made some enquires and the the ex-showroom price (via canteen) comes out to 6.82 lacs in Chennai. I checked out the Tata Safari website and the ex-showroom price (not thro canteen) in Chennai is given to be 7.82 lacs. My question is this; can the margin if I buy thro the canteen be as large as 1 lakh, or is the canteen price that is quoted incorrect? - You would need to check with Bangalore CSD. It may differ.

2) What would be the on road price? Safari owners from Chennai/TN, pls help...- Ask any TATA Showroom.

3) I am a native of Bangalore and I wish to get the vehicle registered in Bangalore (senti about KA registration, actually...;-). Can I do that, ie, buy the vehicle in Chennai and drive down and get it registered in Bangalore? - Yes you can. I dont recollect any restrictions on this. As long as you pay the registration charges and appropriate road taxes you should be fine. But remember, its an additional expense.

4) If so, what does registration involve? Do I have to pay life time road tax in Bangalore? I guess its abt 90,000 Rs for Safari. Is there any exemption/discount for Defence personnel? - Road tax varies by State. I believe it is one of the highest in Bangalore. Found the following info on a website -

A Vehicle is not permitted to ply with other state registration mark beyond 11 months from the date of migration . So you should apply and obtain the Karnataka Registration mark before that period.
Things to do to re-register an out of Karnataka state vehicle:
  • Intimate the nearest RTO within 30 days.
  • Pay the required tax.
  • Re-register the vehicle within one year after coming to Bangalore.
Documents required:
  • NOC from registration authority of the state where vehicle was registered.
  • Registration certificate.
  • Proof of address [Bangalore].
  • Insurance
There are few exemptions to Central Government employees and defence personnel.
  • Life-time tax will continue, if paid in other state.
  • If yearly tax is paid, they continue to pay yearly tax here in Karnataka.
You can call the RTO helpline in Bangalore: +91-80-2235 3434

Source - http://www.karnataka.com/faq/

5) If I decide to register it in TN, do I have to get any no objection certificate to use it in Karnataka? Or can I use it without any extra RTO paperwork? Answer below - Check above

6) Suppose I have small minor problems with the vehicle, what can I do to get it resolved? I mean, I would be in Bangalore whereas the dealer would be in Chennai. Can I expect good, prompt service from dealers in Bangalore in these cases? - If its a new vehicle, then you would be automatically be covered under standard 'India Wide' Warranty. TATA Car owners based in Bangalore would be able to give you feedback on the service center effectiveness.
Hi Chetan - Hope the above answers help! Don't forget to check threads pertaining to the performance of your ride on the forum! All the best on your acquisition!

Last edited by theodore_ftw : 10th July 2008 at 11:26. Reason: Formatting
Old 11th July 2008, 12:27   #5

Hi Theodore,

You have laid to rest a lot of my apprehensions. BTW, I just called up Bangalore CSD (Canteen Stores Dept) and I was told that Safari is not avbl thro canteen in Bangalore, though it can be bought from either Chennai or Kerala CSD. There is not much difference between the two. My main issue was getting the vehicle registered in Bangalore, for which you have given me adequate info. Once again, thanks a lot for that...

I am now looking out for managing the finances and finalising on the dealer, its going to be either Chennai or Kochi. Most probably its going to be Kochi, since I was there for the past 1 year and know quite a few ppl there. Regarding loan, I am checking out the appropriate forum for useful info. Its a lot of help actually, for someone like me who was not used exposed to these things till now...

Will keep u all updated of developments...

Regards,
Chetan
Old 11th July 2008, 13:27   #6
OEM
BHPian

Chetan
Not that I am adding much......But this might help.
My father worked for the services and we bought all our vehicles thru the CSD. Getting a loan cover is a little different. a) You get the entire loan (ex-shoroom price) in your name (in your bank) B) You create demand draft for the same and hand it over to the CSD counter.c) Your vehicle booking order papers (receipt) is generated out of Fort St.George-main CSD office (for orders worth above Rs.50000/) - meaning you have to make a trip there.

CSD rates in Bangalore and Chennai are different (check liquor prices ;-)
As for registering, its life tax in Bangalore and yearly tax in Chennai.

You can try this...Instead of driving the car to Bangalore (you cannot cover more than 500 kms with temp registering) you could load it with truckers as solo good (with proper receipt+Transfer of Residence)

Drive about 100 kms before you do it) Distance to Bangalore is 356 kms. So total of 456 kms <500).

Ask for the booking to be done via Concorde, they have office/showrooms in Bangalore and you can transfer the service receipts to them).

Happy motoring
Old 11th July 2008, 14:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

You might need to take a temp registration to drive down to bangalore. Please do not register in chennai if you are going to use it in bangalore. You will end up paying taxes for both the states.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:35   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

suggestion ref tata service in blr
go and meet Christopher in Tata Motors Prerana Motors on the Iblur/Sarjapur Road near HSR Layout. He is a nice helpful chap who will put you in touch with Service guys and if you are getting the car serviced through them, will organize things for you.

Quote:
Hi All,

6) Suppose I have small minor problems with the vehicle, what can I do to get it resolved? I mean, I would be in Bangalore whereas the dealer would be in Chennai. Can I expect good, prompt service from dealers in Bangalore in these cases?

Can the enlightened ones pls throw some light with regard to the above questions?

Thanks in Advance,

Regards,
Chetan
Old 11th July 2008, 14:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Contact whatcanthisbe, he bought one the way you want to and got 1lac plus off!
Old 11th July 2008, 18:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you bring any out of state vehicle in Karnataka which is less than 6 months old, there is a Entry Tax also, but not sure if it applies to Defence personnel. So check that too.

Rest have been already answered.

Quote:
Hi Theodore,

You have laid to rest a lot of my apprehensions. BTW, I just called up Bangalore CSD (Canteen Stores Dept) and I was told that Safari is not avbl thro canteen in Bangalore, though it can be bought from either Chennai or Kerala CSD. There is not much difference between the two. My main issue was getting the vehicle registered in Bangalore, for which you have given me adequate info. Once again, thanks a lot for that...
Old 11th July 2008, 23:32   #11
BHPian

hey chetan,

just to answer a couple of questions since we've just literally been through the entire rigmarole a couple of days back.

1. difference between the csd and the market is often 1 lakh plus, so don't be surprised.
2. car can be bought in one state and driven down to where you wish to register it on temporary plates. temp plates are generally valid for one month - pls check bglr for validity.
3. all service can be carried out in ANY bglr dealership as the warranty covers the vehicle WITHIN india.
4. kotak mahindra finance about 99% of all CSD cars being bought through the finance route here in delhi. rates are about .25% higher than corresponding rates in the market, but there are no headaches with kotak...

anything else comes to mind, i'll post it here. enjoy the safari and all the best...
Old 14th July 2008, 11:51   #12

Hi All,

Was zapped with another one of my bright ideas. Since I am in Mumbai now, and going home on leave next month, thought I could buy the vehicle here in Mumbai and drive all the way down to Bangalore. This way I could:

1) Save precious holiday time in Bangalore running around for car acquisition and in turn spend that time showing off the same to ppl...;-)

2) Look forward to a loooooooooong drive in my own car, which I have been waiting for for quite some time.

3) Vehicle registration and managing finance would be easy, the former because I can give proof of residence here (from my employers) and the latter because I have come to know that getting the finance at the same place as buyng the vehicle is easy and involves less hassles

But alas, made some enquires here and found out that prices here are abt 50-60k more than in KL or TN. Here CSD price (ex showroom) is 7.3 lac whereas Csd TN or KL price (ex showroom) is 6.7 lac. So its back to Chennai or Kochi once again...

@OEM...looks like there is 2-3 days' work for me in chennai or kochi. I dont like spending holidays out of my home (we rarely get it in the first place!!!), but as the saying goes, kuchh paane ke liye kuchh khona padta hai...;-)

@Esteem lover...I had this doubt; since I am staying in Mumbai now, can I actually buy a vehicle in KL or TN and get it temporary registered there? Dont they ask for proof of residence for registration? How am I going to get one? Double taxation is not a problem; as mentioned by Theodore, I dont have to pay tax in blr if I have already paid it somewhere else...

@Bite the bullet...Regarding loan, I am hoping there is no problem in getting the loan from some bank in Mumbai, since I am buying the vehicle from another place. I have checked out one or two threads here in tbhp regarding this, and came to the conclusion that this is possible only thro' pvt banks. Is it true? I was hoping to get the loan from SBI, because many have recommended this. Will get in touch with someone from the bank this week and work out the modalities. Will also check out Kotak Mahindra Finance like u have suggested...

So that abt it guys. Will keep u all posted of any developments, and once again, thank u all for the valuable inputs

Regards,
Chetan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks