Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2008, 00:48   #46
BHPian

Machine wise i would say the Mitsubishi[Mit] is far better quality than the Maruti
but the daily running and maintenance costs should be more on the Mit
Yes, as you said Maruti the Maruti Service centers have better coverage but the quality is not that excellent as heard by me
The outlander has a 4x4 version

you could have a look at the following comparisons, may be it will help you to decide
Suzuki Grand Vitara vs. Mitsubishi Outlander
RAV4 v Outlander v Vitara - and the winner is... - CarSpace Automotive Forums

also you could have a look at the Mitsubishi 2008 ENDEAVOR
Mitsubishi Motors - 2008 Endeavor
Old 17th July 2008, 05:37   #47
JRD
BHPian

ya i see your concern of the endeavour being large and dificult to drive. My elder brother that the same concern, but after driving the new tdci version, it has some huge improvements in the driveability. But still the size is going to be an issue..

I would say it still is a great offroad vehicle compared to the other two..

"ENDEAVOUR - only reason I might consider is because it is a 7 seater; however, it would be difficult to drive such a large car in the city. Btw, I somehow don't like the CR-V -anyway the 4X4 is out of budget (and so is the Pajero)."
Old 17th July 2008, 12:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

The GV has better offroading capabilities than the other options people listed (except the Endy). And I have started dreaming of taking my car - someday - to the Raid de Himalayas.
Why is Pajero missing here.

Anywayz since CR-V and Pajero are out.

I have another option which I had in mind for a long time now.

You hear of Xenon XT that Tata 207, but a 5 seater version and a scorpio gateaway look?

Well I am not so sure about the pricing but if Tata shouldn't be much.

And probably use add a little more to modify it accordingly. (The car has lot of potential for modifying).

Probably change the tyres to big bling bilng and get the doors modified to open upside. And the colour red.

Or big plain tyres and bull gaurd to give it all muscular look.

And its diesel, save on your fuel budget.

I know the idea is real wacky but worth a thought.
Old 17th July 2008, 13:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR-V View Post
You hear of Xenon XT that Tata 207, but a 5 seater version and a scorpio gateaway look?

Probably change the tyres to big bling bilng and get the doors modified to open upside. And the colour red.
What about his Irish setter - out in the open at the back? That 5 seater configuration is not suitable for small kids & dogs methinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi.k View Post
also you could have a look at the Mitsubishi 2008 ENDEAVOR
Mitsubishi Motors - 2008 Endeavor
Is that being launched anytime in the near future in India?
Old 17th July 2008, 13:02   #50
BHPian

Do anything you want.

Well get custom made body and have the rear with all the limo stuff, small bar two comfortable seats LCD.

Or just put a real nice system and get a glass/plastic frame on it.

Or leaving it open and let the irish setter feel the air.

And I think its available in both 5 seater and 2 seater.

Last edited by CR-V : 17th July 2008 at 13:03.
Old 17th July 2008, 14:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Spears cost wise, I don't think that Vitara would be any cheaper then Outlander as Vitara is CBU and Outlander assembled in Chennai.

Went to see Vitara yesterday, the A/C assembly was almost same as they are using in cars of half price or 1/3 price of Vitara. Same Steering mounted controls and in SX4 and may be desire. FE very low. 16" alloys (now that’s not good for off roader, should have been at least 18") No electronic seats, no luxurious feel. Back door opening sideways.

Well, if a facelift is coming then that will solve most of these problems.

I'll say listen to your wife and wait. You won't be able to sell it in 1 or 2 years without loosing a big chunk.

Last edited by ajmat : 17th July 2008 at 15:15.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:43   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Spears cost wise, I don't think that Vitara would be any cheaper then Outlander as Vitara is CBU and Outlander assembled in Chennai.
It uses consumables same as SX4 and Swift and shares quite a few parts with them under the hood. So it is not as high as you think.

Quote:
Went to see Vitara yesterday, the A/C assembly was almost same as they are using in cars of half price or 1/3 price of Vitara. Same Steering mounted controls and in SX4 and may be desire. No electronic seats, no luxurious feel.
Vitara is not a luxury SUV, if not for CBU it would have sold around 10-11L range. But it is definitely better than SX4/Swift quality.

Quote:
FE very low.
Compared to which similar SUV? I hope you are not comparing it with car FE. It is actually pretty good for an all time 4WD SUV. It is surely has better FE than petrol Innova. Sudev has reported 13+ kmpl on long highway drives.

Quote:
16" alloys (now that’s not good for off roader, should have been at least 18") Back door opening sideways.
This is a very careless statement. My hardcore offroader Jeep has 15 inch wheels, does that mean it is a lesser offroader than the GV? Do we even have a 18 inch wheel offroader in India? BTW, have you seen a wheel mounted door opening upwards?
Old 17th July 2008, 15:44   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

A facelift is not coming for the GV. Just a change of heart (engine).

And I, for one, like the current face very much.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Add me to the list that likes the GV's looks. See this babe - so hot in black. This is the Jap one, but I guess more-or-less same as the Indian version.

PLanning to buy an SUV - Grand Vitara or Outlander (or Endeavour 4x4)?-pics-025.jpg

@Ym-enjn, AFAIK, the GV does not come with spears or shovels of any kind. So cost-wise should not be an issue.
Old 17th July 2008, 16:10   #55

Went to book my GV today and found something interesting, so didn't pay up.

The Mumbai dealers only have 2007 manufactured GVs available. They say this is due to imports...

Its 7/2008 and by now the 2007 stocks should have been exhausted. Also when doing a resale this will further reduce the value of the car by 1 year right ?

One dealer also mentioned that they don't expect any new imports anytime soon as enough cars are available at the Mumbai port stockyard.

Is this a similar situation in other regions also ? would be glad to hear some opinions on the year of mfg issue.

Cheers

RJ
Old 17th July 2008, 16:30   #56
Senior - BHPian

This looks somewhat like the 2009 Vitara. Looks really cool - in fact, I too find that it looks like a baby Range Rover (my boss has a black Range Rover - it is hot!)

@ Sudev: I am not looking for hardcore offroading - but a family car that can take us to most places (including forest trails). So a Jeep or a Gypsy is out. So is a Scorpio (though my wife loves it) or a Safari.

The Pajero is out because it is like 7 L costlier (OTR) than a Vitara.

How would an Endy 4X4 compare with the Vitara in terms of modest offroading? And will it be unwieldy on hardcore mountain roads - e.g. Manali to Leh, or even say on steep, narrow roads e.g. the Pankhabari road that goes to Darjeeling? Does anyone have mountain driving experience with the Endeavour?
Old 17th July 2008, 17:05   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Endy would be also good choice. Things for it - 3L engine. Higher clearance. Superb torque. Things against - Longer wheel base. Bigger for in city traffic. Diesel smokes heavily under acceleration within 50k. Personally I have been bitten by Ford twice and so am shy of touching their products. I have not driven it over narrow terrains so can not comment but will climb like GV or better.

GV to leh and in rajasthan (on and off road) was comfortable as it has full time 4x4 drive. Plus gearing ratios made it plesant to drive plus size is more like a big car and was comfortable in the city as well as on narrow hilly tracks. ABS + EBD are good supports too. Although when off roading you would rather have ABS off. (Can be done by removing fuse and ignoring warining light).
Yeah all stocks are from 2007 as the last import landed in March/April (inside info) and the next lot would be new version. When - can not say but most likely in Oct-Dec quarter.
Old 17th July 2008, 17:15   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Endy would be also good choice. Things for it - 3L engine. Higher clearance. Superb torque. Things against - Longer wheel base. Bigger for in city traffic. Diesel smokes heavily under acceleration within 50k. Personally I have been bitten by Ford twice and so am shy of touching their products. I have not driven it over narrow terrains so can not comment but will climb like GV or better.

GV to leh and in rajasthan (on and off road) was comfortable as it has full time 4x4 drive. Plus gearing ratios made it plesant to drive plus size is more like a big car and was comfortable in the city as well as on narrow hilly tracks. ABS + EBD are good supports too. Although when off roading you would rather have ABS off. (Can be done by removing fuse and ignoring warining light).
Yeah all stocks are from 2007 as the last import landed in March/April (inside info) and the next lot would be new version. When - can not say but most likely in Oct-Dec quarter.
What was the problem with Ford? Dependability, or after sales service?
Old 17th July 2008, 19:08   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
the next lot would be new version. When - can not say but most likely in Oct-Dec quarter.

Say that again please.
It's music to my ears.
2.4L VVT, 166 BHP, 225Nm.
Old 17th July 2008, 21:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Some good links:

Vitara
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 and newer - CarSpace Automotive Forums

Ford Endy
Ford Thailand - Everest Home

Outlander
Mitsubishi Outlander