Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 12:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How would you compare your Gypsy with the Jeeps ?
That would be going OT from this thread of the Gurkha and also, I don't want to start a Gypsy vs Jeep war .

Both are good and there places where Gypsy would be ideal (where you need momentum high rev -- such as slopes/climbs)

On rocks, where you want to crawl, Gypsy can do it but is very scary. Low RPM torque in jeeps is magic. Gypsy can't even come close to it. In slush/mud also Jeep would rule.

Quote:
Going by the second trip to virajpet, since the jeeps were stuck, can you conclude that Jeeps are not good too ?
NO.. All jeeps successfully climbed on their own..

Quote:
We might not have good exposure to Gukhas and their capabilities on this forum and that might be the actual problem here.
Agree..
Old 18th July 2008, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Monster BHP,

That Gurkha is a very capable vehicle that is worth buying. It is an ultimate off-roader that has very high end mechanicals not offered by M&M Jeeps. The diff locks, frame, transfer box, engine, are superior components.

It is a more capable off-roader than anything produced by M&M today.

Don't be fooled by a couple of pics that show a Gurkha stuck in axle deep mud.

Don't even compare a Gurkha to a Sumo. Sumo's are mechanical junk. A Bolero 4x4 is a nice SUV that has 4x4, but is not an 'off-roader'.

If you have the budget, and truly want an ultimate off-road vehicle, you will make a good choice in buying a Gurkha.

Regards,
Old 18th July 2008, 12:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

"JEEP" is a Brand, and should not be a term for 4x4 or Suvs. Please.
Lets not call Gurkhas and Boleros etc etc "Jeeps". And how is Gypsy not a "Jeep" class if we term 4x4s Jeeps.
Mahindra's Were Jeep licensee's Long Long Back. No More.
We are Team-Bhp, and we should atleast differentiate!!
Thanks All.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:29   #19
Team-BHP Support

WELCOME TO FORCE4x4.COM

Also check out the videos.

The webmaster is a member in team-bhp.
Team-BHP - View Profile: rrnsss

He is the best contact for all your questions.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:42   #20
BHPian

I beleive the price is too high. It's not worth unless you are doing serious offroading and atleast travel to places where thers is no road/Kuccha road. Also people who are used to driving cars will not like it because you need to have the "DIL" to drive since the drive is not smooth like car and also you dont have the luxury of car.
BTW : My brother in law was very excited when he knew that i have a Gypsy and he got into the vehicle started just got down because he was not used to it since he is used to driving a Civic.
Old 18th July 2008, 13:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

To all those looking for a Gurkha - May The Force Be With You. You really need all those wishes to find a vehicle.
Old 18th July 2008, 18:32   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

1300 kms on a supposed brand new car sounds fishy. Check with the company if it was indeed driven down from the factory, and thats the primary reason for its mileage.
Old 18th July 2008, 18:54   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if they are driven down from the factory, the odo is normally disconnected during this drive.

Check any Bolero, Sumo, The mini-buses, 407's, trucks, may be the Scorp too. The odo on the vehicle in the showroom will still be close to 0.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:14   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Don't be fooled by a couple of pics that show a Gurkha stuck in axle deep mud.
Thank you for this. People were taking off on the Gurkha in the Coorg OTR thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Don't even compare a Gurkha to a Sumo. Sumo's are mechanical junk. A Bolero 4x4 is a nice SUV that has 4x4, but is not an 'off-roader'.
Where did the Sumo come from? He was asking about the Safari.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1300 kms on a supposed brand new car sounds fishy. Check with the company if it was indeed driven down from the factory, and thats the primary reason for its mileage.
GTO,
I believe that Force Motors does drive all its vehicles to the selling destination. I had about 1500km on my new Tempo Traveller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Thank you for this. People were taking off on the Gurkha in the Coorg OTR thread.

Where did the Sumo come from? He was asking about the Safari.
O.k., I thought I saw a Sumo mentioned. Well Sumo or Safari, my comment remains the same. Mechanical junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
I beleive the price is too high. It's not worth unless you are doing serious offroading and atleast travel to places where thers is no road/Kuccha road. Also people who are used to driving cars will not like it because you need to have the "DIL" to drive since the drive is not smooth like car and also you dont have the luxury of car.
BTW : My brother in law was very excited when he knew that i have a Gypsy and he got into the vehicle started just got down because he was not used to it since he is used to driving a Civic.
You believe the price is too high? I would like to know why you think this.

If you add up the costs of dual diff locks, divorced transfer case, mercedes derived engine + gbox and heavy duty frame,you will find that it is actually a great deal for what is offered.

The Gurkha is a real hardcore off-roader, which is a rare vehicle to be offered by any manufacturer anywhere in the world. Consider yourselves lucky to have the opportunity to buy one.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:11   #26
Team-BHP Support

Gaurav, is this impression based on the newer TD-2650 FTI engine or the older mercedes OM616 engine?

I have followed the Gurkha passionately for nearly two years. I have test driven the very first new Hardtop Gurkha released last year. I can't justify that price somehow for that fit and finish. And I am yet to see the performance matching the hype.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Then Gurkha is manufactured for which market segment ??, I always had an impression that the engine based on mercedes is a gem and so are the 4x4 capabilities.

I would not rate the performance just on the Coorg 4x4 drive posted here.

But I do feel that the price is on the higher side. how, depends??

Calculate your Off-road encounters till today and the ones that you intend to do and also your city drives. Evaluate the ratio and then decide, for such price you can get a more comfortable vehicle if you will drive majorly in the city.

Although there is no justification against your heart opinions of buying a Gurkha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Depends on what you want it for? I saw one first hand during the Coorg OTR and here are my 2 cents
  • Do not buy the Gurkha if comfort and interior space is what you want.
  • Don't buy if you want it for serious off-roading. Buy a much much cheaper and more capable JEEP instead.
For other things, other members can comment
Old 18th July 2008, 21:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Gaurav, is this impression based on the newer TD-2650 FTI engine or the older mercedes OM616 engine?

I have followed the Gurkha passionately for nearly two years. I have test driven the very first new Hardtop Gurkha released last year. I can't justify that price somehow for that fit and finish. And I am yet to see the performance matching the hype.
Samurai,
Yes, my impression is based on the OM616. Is not the newer engine a variant/evolution of the OM616? Or is it an altogether new design?

The fit and finish is not really the criteria for the Gurkha. Fit and finish is sort of a consumer car metric. Fit an finish really don't matter when you are negotiating a 30 degree slope or winching yourself out of a mud bog. The funny thing is that modern mass producers of cars peddle low cost components that are packaged nicely with good fit and finish in order to justify high prices. With the Gurkha, it is the very opposite, since you are getting high quality mechanicals with little focus on packaging and finishing. And no money spent on brainwash advertising.

You may not have seen the Gurkha demonstrate its full capability, but believe me, when a vehicle has the type of hardware like the Gurkha, it is very capable in the hands of a competent driver.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:32   #29
BHPian

Hey Guys.. For the first time i am not confused about what to buy. I am going for the Gurkha.

Why?

Because its the best buy for the price. I got it for 7.77-lakhs Ex-Showroom and 8.60 on Road. Considering the Mahindra 4Wd is 7.8 to 8.0 lakhs as well and this is far better in terms of off-roading, engine spec, uniqueness and over all 4x4 tech.

I was actually going for the Safari was rather forcing myself to go for the Safari just for the 4x4. I never liked it and i hate the plastic in TATA.

So all in all its a good buy for me. But thanks for others who have helped me to make up my mind.

P.S. Any true 4wd lover will close his eyes and go for the Gurkha, just for its ruggedness and looks..ya looks..

Last edited by Monster_BHP : 18th July 2008 at 21:35.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

just watched this test drive by the company drivers on you tube -

Gurkha has got good capability of Off roading, just watch the above link and i hope u guys will believe it

Gurkha is made as per Indian Army requirementss...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks