Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 14:56   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I have been reading up on the Diff Locks, i guess i am getting some idea of when to use it and when not to. Thanks for the wishes and advise will keep em in mind.
Most of the time your Gurkha should be able to go on trails in 2wd. When the going gets tough then engage 4L or 4H depending on the requirement of torque.

Only in conditions where your vehicle is not moving despite being in 4x4 mode do you need to engage the difflocks. All you need to remember is that the difflocks are to be used only to free yourself, not to drive in all the time. The minute you come out of the stuck situation release the locks. Also with the diffs locked avoid turning the steering as it stresses the drivetrain.

In a nutshell don't engage the difflocks everytime you see slush. Try going through with normal 4x4.

On the other hand if you are going over highly undulating terrain or attempting rock climbing where one or two wheels tend to lift up often then you can engage the diff locks for the entire stretch.

PS: In 4L with just the rears locked I reckon the Gurkha will be able to handle most of the stuff you can throw its way

Another area where I can see you requiring both the diffs locked is when you attempt to go up a hill side in a straight line. You don't want to lose momentum as you are going up so its best to engage them at the bottom and go up.

Last edited by DKG : 31st July 2008 at 15:03.
Old 1st August 2008, 11:41   #62
BHPian

Hi Guys, Here is a video of Dr.Jaikumar's Gurkha at Maambarai hills.

rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2008, 18:05   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Hi Guys, Here is a video of Dr.Jaikumar's Gurkha at Maambarai hills.
I really like the looks of this Gurkha. He has painted it all black. Frankly I find think Force has gone overboard with chrome plating in the Gurkha a bit Gaudy, I would probably paint it all black like Dr. Jaikumar has done.

Looks like we have three Gurkhas and one Judo on this Forum now !!
Old 1st August 2008, 18:25   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Monster, Please put a detailed TD and pictures in the Initial Ownership reports section. Unfortunately names like Beast, Black Beauty, Stallion, etc are already claimed by Maruthi 800 and Santro owners so you will have to call your care something else.

I can't but help but laugh when Santro owners title their threads "My black beast etc". Guess they have never seen a Gurkha.
Hahahahahahaha
Old 1st August 2008, 19:19   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can't but help but laugh when Santro owners title their threads "My black beast etc". Guess they have never seen a Gurkha.

hahaha good one

btw Congrats Monster... on purchase of the real "Beast"
Old 1st August 2008, 20:03   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Force motors web site calls it Black Beauty.

...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

So, park it next to a Safari, you get Beauty and the Beast, if you don't find a Safari you can even settle for Fiesta, Palio or even a Santro.
Old 1st August 2008, 20:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

OT: Er.. why not name your Santros, 800s, Safaris, Gurkhas etc etc as Rambo, Terminator, Punisher, Batman (hihihihi) or some other names on the similar lines?

I never can understand this naming thing followed by all you guys who name their vehicles. It could be because i never got emotionally attached with any of my mechanical marvels.
Old 1st August 2008, 22:57   #68
BHPian

Quote:
I really like the looks of this Gurkha. He has painted it all black. Frankly I find think Force has gone overboard with chrome plating in the Gurkha a bit Gaudy, I would probably paint it all black like Dr. Jaikumar has done.

Looks like we have three Gurkhas and one Judo on this Forum now !!
Dr Jaikumars Gurkha has undergone extensive plastic surgery, He has trashed the chrome bullbars, the front grill has been remade with a part from the old trax, painted the fenders body color and most significantly a ladder at the rear.The interiors and seats have also been modded. He lives close to me and hence had a look.His collection of 4wds include a pajero,a jonga petrol,a couple of world war petrol jeeps in original, a cj willys and more..a wrangler look alike from a MM540 too.
Old 2nd August 2008, 11:55   #69
BHPian

I will put up the pics soon after i get it registered and road worthy. Right now its parked in my home so it wont be all that exiting to take pics here.

Currently i planning to put alloy rims to the gurkha but i dont know which one to go for, the 16 rim size is a bit too tall for any alloy to look good, so i am confused right now.
Old 2nd August 2008, 12:25   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster_BHP View Post
I will put up the pics soon after i get it registered and road worthy. Right now its parked in my home so it wont be all that exiting to take pics here.

Currently i planning to put alloy rims to the gurkha but i dont know which one to go for, the 16 rim size is a bit too tall for any alloy to look good, so i am confused right now.
Monster_BHP i would suggest go with the stock rims than the alloys for the Off-Roading vehicle, if you are not using it for off-roading then go for alloys or else be with the stock rims.

Just enjoy doing Off-Roading trips and post some pics of your Black Monster on the thread.......

Last edited by gowda79 : 2nd August 2008 at 12:27.
Old 2nd August 2008, 21:13   #71
Senior - BHPian

Congrats monster bhp on your new Gurkha. Its a good buy. Different, capable and tough.
Do go off the offroad too and post pics when you can.
Happy off roading. cheers:
Old 2nd August 2008, 22:10   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

So, park it next to a Safari, you get Beauty and the Beast, if you don't find a Safari you can even settle for Fiesta, Palio or even a Santro.
Whats that supposed to mean?!!
Old 2nd August 2008, 23:03   #73
BHPian

Congrats Monster BHP on acquiring the Indian Hummer, you are going to be one wicked guy on chennai roads!

OT experts - The trax used to rust notoriously, do you know if Force has done something or have any advice that Monster BHP can take care of...?

Last edited by AirWind : 2nd August 2008 at 23:10.
Old 3rd August 2008, 00:00   #74
BHPian

Careful which car you park it nex too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

When you park it next to the FIAT Panda 4*4 you just might have a bruised ego with the possibility of a david and goliath situation.
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
When you park it next to the FIAT Panda 4*4 you just might have a bruised ego with the possibility of a david and goliath situation.
YouTube - Fiat Panda 4x4 vs Range Rover
That's a one litle beauty and the beast of 4x4, enjoyed the video and the way it was able to handle the road...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks