Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 18:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Your idea of getting an Inova and using it for a couple of years is not a bad idea. The good thing about Inova is that they do hold their re-sale value pretty well so when you have much better choice of SUVs down the line, you can sell your Inova without taking too much of a hit.
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:41   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Actually the CAPTIVA is a SUBARU in Chevy Clothing. Not Daewoo.
You may remember the earlier Chevy Forester with AWD and Petrol Engine - well that was also a SUBARU FORESTER.
GM owns both Subaru and Daewoo but feel that the Chevy Badge has greater recall and leveraging possibilities in the Indian Market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Try another GM showroom and take a TD of the Captiva. Yeah, it's a Daewoo with a Chevy bow tie, but it's a pretty good SUV. The Optra is a Daewoo in Chevy clothes too, but it's a good car.
Don't knock it till you try it
Old 22nd July 2008, 11:52   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
You may remember the earlier Chevy Forester with AWD and Petrol Engine - well that was also a SUBARU FORESTER.
GM owns both Subaru and Daewoo but feel that the Chevy Badge has greater recall and leveraging possibilities in the Indian Market.
Really?
That makes me feel a lot better about considering the Captiva... the Korean image has kept me back.

Either ways its a great car ... it's best you try and inquire about the local production models launch, before you take the plunge.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is totally untrue. captiva is not a Subaru product. Also, GM offloaded their stake in Subaru some time back.
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:16   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Forrester was a Subaru, but the Captiva isnt! It has been developed my GMDAT, which is the new name of GM-owned Daewoo facilities. Technically, you could say that it is indeed a Daewoo product.
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are completely wrong on this one mate. Where did you get this information??

GM had a minor stake in Subaru and the only product that came out of that alliance was a Saab version of the Subaru Outback sport. BTW, GM sold it's stake in subaru to Toyota who is now Subaru's new partner.

The Captiva/Windstorm is based on GMs Theta platform developed by Daewoo and used as plat for for a number of GM/Daewoo vehicles.

GM Theta platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EXCLUSIVE: General Motors' Massive Crossover Strategy Revealed
Chevy to launch Daewoo-built models in Eur. - GM Inside News Forum
GM Theta platform - Indopedia, the Indological knowledgebase
Swedish Seoul - Car News/Car News/News/Car and Driver - Car And Driver
Daewoo-made Chevrolet Captiva SUV - car magazine, auto reviews at motiontrends.com
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:59   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is totally untrue. captiva is not a Subaru product. Also, GM offloaded their stake in Subaru some time back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Forrester was a Subaru, but the Captiva isnt! It has been developed my GMDAT, which is the new name of GM-owned Daewoo facilities. Technically, you could say that it is indeed a Daewoo product.
Spot on guys !. It is Daewoo Product. There is nothing wrong with that as long as people know who developed the product. Car companies generally use different brands to position the same product in different price ranges. One example is that when GM had Subaru alliance, it made a Saab version of the Subaru outback which was offered at a much higher premium to the Subaru. You basically got the same powertrain car with a tweaked appearance for $3000 more and I saw many of them on the road. There are people who will pay a premium for the brand regardless of the underlying product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Really?
That makes me feel a lot better about considering the Captiva... the Korean image has kept me back.

Either ways its a great car ... it's best you try and inquire about the local production models launch, before you take the plunge.
Sorry mate, but it is a Korean Product, but Korean's do make some good products and since this is the only diesel option in it's price range, I don't think people have much of a choice here for a Diesel soft roader. Besides there are versions of this SUV sold in the States and in Europe so GM must have done some homework on this one. In my opinion, they have really priced it at the upper end of the bracket. I suppose they can do it as long as there is no competition. Honda/Toyota have great Diesel options in Europe, but they haven't offered it in India yet.

In case you guys are wondering why the Chevy Forrester is no longer offered.

Toyota buys into Subaru as GM drops its share - 10/05/05
Toyota buys 5.9% of Isuzu - Autoblog
Toyota to double stake in Subaru parent, Fuji Heavy - Autoblog
Toyota Buys Stake in Maker of Subaru, Fuji Heavy Industries, From General Motors

Last edited by 4x4addict : 22nd July 2008 at 18:01.
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:02   #23
BHPian

I think the captiva rocks today in your budget, it got a fresh look and sometime you think it is a CRV, very slighty, it is diesel and it is damn powerful, I have test driven it... but then you are buying a american machine which will not be easy or cheap to maintain and dont expect resale value... they usual depriciation in an year is 15-20% but for american machine it is 35- even 40%, now if you are willing to buy this and not change it in near future then you can go for it keeping in mind the above points...

There are not many options in that budget which you will die for at one go, have heard the pajero with bonet scoop is good and you rightly said it, it does not have the works...so if it is ok to compromise on works then it is a steardy machine...

Fortuner will be good if you can wait but there is no indication on when it will be launched... you could be waiting for long...

Ford.. dont do the mistake man, not a good vehichle for people sitting behind, the floor is too high, no comfort, damn it spending so much money for no comfort, I dont knw what's wrong with us indians, we buy anything man.... No Value for Money..
Old 23rd July 2008, 00:47   #24
BHPian

Yeah! right said friends, I guess I will do a longish test drive of the pajero again.

But GMDAT products, though very good, in their own right, have a abysmally low resale value. I will try another dealer tomorrow for a test drive.

Lets see what comes of it.

@ The saint, no offenses buddy, but I do really take the Chevy Captiva as a korean vehicle & not an American one.

Not that there is any thing wrong with the Korean vehicles ,in fact I love Hyundai vehicles for their value for money part. But I do think that GM is charging quiet a lot for what is basically a Korean vehicle, but since we don't have much of a choice in this segment, I'll have do do with what ever I can get my hands on!

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 23rd July 2008 at 00:55.
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:38   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Yeah! right said friends, I guess I will do a longish test drive of the pajero again.

But GMDAT products, though very good, in their own right, have a abysmally low resale value. I will try another dealer tomorrow for a test drive.

Lets see what comes of it.
Make sure you take it on the highway. Since the engine is underpowered they have very tall gearing and it maxes out on the highway. I was all set on the Pajero 2.8 until I saw the comparison with the endy 3.0 thunder. The endy is so much faster that after 120, you can stop for a cup of tea before the Pajero 2.8 catches up. But in just about everything else the pajero 2.8 is better. I think Mitsubishi's India strategy is worse than GMs. Also please try the middle passenger seat. They have put these huge arm rests on either side of the middle passenger seat that it seats only two people in the middle rear seat. About the paint, I was told that if you are willing to wait, you can get one in single color and don't have to spring for the clown paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post

@ The saint, no offenses buddy, but I do really take the Chevy Captiva as a korean vehicle & not an American one.

Not that there is any thing wrong with the Korean vehicles ,in fact I love Hyundai vehicles for their value for money part. But I do think that GM is charging quiet a lot for what is basically a Korean vehicle, but since we don't have much of a choice in this segment, I'll have do do with what ever I can get my hands on!
True. Every where else in the world, Hyndai sells their cars as a value option. You get almost an equivalent to Toyota/Honda for about 80% of the price. But in India, GM thinks that if it slaps a Chevy badge, you can price it higher than a CRV !!.

By god I hope the Fortuner and CRV deisel gets launched soon. Ford and Chevy won't know what hit them.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

2008 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Just found this 2008 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Help needed to buy a SUV within 20 lacs!-mitsubishi_pajero_sport_1_500.jpg

2008 Moscow Auto Show Preview: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

TOKYO — Mitsubishi has announced that it will publicly unveil its new Pajero Sport in late August at the 2008 Moscow Auto Show. The Japanese automaker added that it has no plans to market the SUV in North America or Western Europe.
The Pajero Sport will be sold in Russia, the Middle East, Latin America and selected markets across Asia, beginning this fall. It will be rebadged as the Challenger in Australia, the Montero Sport in South America and the Nativa in other markets in Latin America.
The new model will come in five- and seven-passenger configurations, with water-repellent seats and a waterproof cargo bay. Engine choices include 2.5-liter and 3.2-liter common-rail turbodiesels and a 3.5-liter gasoline V6. Only the five-passenger variant with the 3.2-liter diesel will be sold in Russia.

Help needed to buy a SUV within 20 lacs!-mitsubishi_pajero_sport_2_500.jpg

Source : Edmunds
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Just found this 2008 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Attachment 31752

2008 Moscow Auto Show Preview: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

TOKYO — Mitsubishi has announced that it will publicly unveil its new Pajero Sport in late August at the 2008 Moscow Auto Show. The Japanese automaker added that it has no plans to market the SUV in North America or Western Europe.
The Pajero Sport will be sold in Russia, the Middle East, Latin America and selected markets across Asia, beginning this fall. It will be rebadged as the Challenger in Australia, the Montero Sport in South America and the Nativa in other markets in Latin America.
The new model will come in five- and seven-passenger configurations, with water-repellent seats and a waterproof cargo bay. Engine choices include 2.5-liter and 3.2-liter common-rail turbodiesels and a 3.5-liter gasoline V6. Only the five-passenger variant with the 3.2-liter diesel will be sold in Russia.

Attachment 31753

Source : Edmunds
Worldwide what is called Pajero is Monetro here.. What you mentioned is the latest version of the Monetro.. Dont have hopes of this replacing or being the same price bracket as the current Pajero..
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:36   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Mitsubishi uses the Pajero/Montero/Shogun name for a number of models. The most expensive is called the Pajero(Most Global Markets)/Montero(USA)/Shogun (UK) . This is the model that sells as a CBU for 35 lakhs in India. They also had a smaller/cheaper version called Pajero Sport/Montero Sport which the sold alongside the larger Pajero/Montero in many markets. Then there is a small/mini version called the Pajero/Shogun Pinnin.

The mid model Pajero sport has been discontinued in most markets and was replaced by the outlander as they are the same size. The difference is that Outlander is Unibody construction soft-roader wheras the Pajero sport was body on frame SUV. The picture you posted above is the latest iteration of the mid model that is sold only in limited markets. This is not the replacement for the Pajero 3.2 DID or the Outlander, but a completely separate product. If you click on the link below the second picture at the bottom is the picture of an older version of the Pajero sport which was sold before they discontinued it in the US. You will see a close resemblance to the picture you posted above.

2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport: Information, Added Features
Old 25th July 2008, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Forrester belonged to Subaru stable. However, both Optra and Captiva come from Daewoo shop.

I would say just wait for Mitsu Outlander that is getting launched end Aug, compare it with Captiva and then take final decision. I test drove Captiva a month back and it didn't impress me at all.
Old 25th July 2008, 21:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Help Help Help !

I was about to start a thread with the similar title in June 2008. But making up my mind for something special took over 2 months. Reading through lots of posts has helped me short listing models to less than 4 as of now. Threadstarter please dont feel I am deviating from the subject, thank you. My requirements:

1. Not for daily use, but twice a month long drives within 200-400 kms from Bangalore city (very less off-roading).
2. Mileage not considered as an issue.
3. Best comfort front and back row.
4. Easy and comfortable service experience.
5. Resale value to be satisfactory over 4 years.
6. Not a possible design outdate issue atleast 3 years.

My short listed models are:

1. Honda CRV 2.0 (best design I like, but only petrol)
2. Suzuki GV (great inspiration from Samurai san posts)
3. Ford Endeavour (so far no clear user reviews)
4. Chevy Captiva (user reviews very few)

I would like to shortlist them to 2 and then go for the TD as we have lot of experts in our forum itself to guide. Please suggest some negatives, so that I can drop 2 from the list. Targeted purchase time: End August. If the economy is going great, next upgrade would be X5 or similar in the 4 years period. Comments greatly appreciated !

Most Viewed