Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 15:11   #16
BHPian

Hey Dinar and Header

This weekend was really tiresome for me i happened to c 3 Sierra's

1 Sierra was quoted a price of 3L. It had done 83K Km . Fully done upholstery and a 2001 model.
2. 99 Sierra -- Green One-- The Gear shift itself had to be handled by 2 people. It was so tight. Done 1.1 L Km. That Guy is quoting 1.75. I told him 1.5 (i know its on higher side). But his words feel like .. his is the only Sierra in town.
3. 99 Sierra -- Green One -- 1.8 Quoted-- i offered 1.5

I am quoting this price as per a mechanic i know.

I am still waiting for the other car. I spoke to the agent and he said that that Car will be brought by a reseller from Bank and then i can buy from that reseller after seeing the car but defenitely not for a cheaper rate.

I am really pissed .. hunting for the right one from past 2 months.

Now i have widened my search to my Native as well (Kerala)... If i get one from there i guess i will pay the road tax in Blore and get it here... Does anyone have any idea how much i will have to pay as road tax for old car like Sierra...
Old 28th July 2008, 15:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu7185 View Post
Hey Dinar and Header

This weekend was really tiresome for me i happened to c 3 Sierra's

1 Sierra was quoted a price of 3L. It had done 83K Km . Fully done upholstery and a 2001 model.
2. 99 Sierra -- Green One-- The Gear shift itself had to be handled by 2 people. It was so tight. Done 1.1 L Km. That Guy is quoting 1.75. I told him 1.5 (i know its on higher side). But his words feel like .. his is the only Sierra in town.
3. 99 Sierra -- Green One -- 1.8 Quoted-- i offered 1.5

The Sierra price range is around 1L for a non Turbo one and maybe 1.25-1.5 for a Turbo vehicle. The turbo ones are hard to come by.

The Sierra is an outdated model and hence you can use it to your advantage while negotiating.

There is an Estate in Chennai - will you be interested, if so, PM me. Cheers
Old 28th July 2008, 15:37   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Sierra price range is around 1L for a non Turbo one and maybe 1.25-1.5 for a Turbo vehicle. The turbo ones are hard to come by.

The Sierra is an outdated model and hence you can use it to your advantage while negotiating.

There is an Estate in Chennai - will you be interested, if so, PM me. Cheers
No mate I dont like the shape of Estates.. its like a "Shawapetty"(Coffin Vehicle) ... please let me know if you come across any Sierra Turbos...
Old 28th July 2008, 17:37   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu7185 View Post
No mate I dont like the shape of Estates.. its like a "Shawapetty"(Coffin Vehicle) ... please let me know if you come across any Sierra Turbos...

its just a personal note....nothing against anything.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Vishnu, try hunting for the vehicle outside of bangy, there where a couple of examples in belagum few months back. so try there or hubli, have here these place have them.
or another option is get a old NA Sierra, for around 40k and than get a Turbo engine in it. it will come up to same as what your planning to spend, but keep this a last option.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
another option is get a old NA Sierra, for around 40k and than get a Turbo engine in it. it will come up to same as what your planning to spend, but keep this a last option.
Dinar the issue is even the non Turbo Versions in Bangalore .. They are asking 1L... i dont know why there is such a high mkt for these vehicles ....
Old 29th July 2008, 10:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Vishnu, try hunting for the vehicle outside of bangy, there where a couple of examples in belagum few months back. so try there or hubli, have here these place have them.
The thing is i dont have much contacts in Karnataka. Does anyone in this forum has contacts in Belgaum so that i can get a good vehicle
Old 29th July 2008, 14:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

there be some one on the forum or in banglore from belgaum. Banglore is little bit pricey when it come to cars and bikes. for that matter for everything. So you you personally know anyone in banglore from tbhp, he may be able to help you out with it.Your mechanic will be knowing some in other cities in Karnataka.
Old 7th August 2008, 15:17   #24
BHPian

The hunt is still going on for my Sierra.....
Old 14th August 2008, 16:44   #25
BHPian

Hi all

Finally i got the one.. Sierra Turbo 1999 -- 1.6( I know its really higher, my mechanic quoted 1.5 .. but the hastle of seeing more and more Sierras was really horrible .. hence i decided to give away 1.6)....

No work need to be done.. just tuning and cleaning the turbo and the intercooler....as per mechanic ...

Thanks gurus for your help and comments...
Old 15th September 2008, 07:44   #26
BHPian

Gurua i wanted some info regarding the Sierra

One of my friend bought a Sierra Turbo.. he didnt get a good buy. it seems there is some issue with his gearbox.

when he is moving the gear to 2nd and then its really tight and on running it becomes fine. sometimes its tough to put 1st as well..

the mechanic had already monuted and unmounted the gearbox 4 -5 times.

he changed the synchronizers as well. but in vain.

what do you guys feel?? what must be the probable issue?

moreover is it worth replacing the gearbox rather than playing with it?

How much will a new gearbox cost in Bangalore?

Please reply gurus.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th September 2008 at 08:56. Reason: See note in post
Old 15th September 2008, 09:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Check if the gear box has proper oil circulations,I Think it needs a full service, how much has the vehicle run till date? check for clearances between gears at a ***, as the box was opened and you mention that the gears work fine after some running.
By the way congrats on your buy, when are you uploading photos??
Old 15th September 2008, 10:57   #28
BHPian

Sorry Mate... i got the pictures.. i will upload soon.... the oil circulation is perfectly fine.. the mechanic is suspecting this because of new synchronizers... but in that case my query was.. it should happen for all gears..

except for 1st and 2nd .. all other gears are working absolutely fine.

Dinar .. do you have any idea how much a new gear box would cost(ofcourse 2nd hand available in market )

To be frank .. rest all the things are great.. but this gear problem is making the vehicle really sh**.
Old 16th September 2008, 09:20   #29
BHPian

Hi Gurus

Does anyone have any updates on my question?
Old 7th December 2008, 09:09   #30
BHPian

Hi Guys

Recently i had a bad experience, i was having trouble with my gear as my friend was having. the gear got locked in first gear in middle of the Hosur highway (bangalore's one of the most rushy highway) and i had to drive down from hosur to my workshop in JP Nagar(10 km ) in first gear. Phew.. that was really horrible and as soon as i reached the workshop i told the mechanic to replace the gearbox.

My mechanic is suggesting the G76 gearbox tht comes with Safari or the Sumo Victa gearbox.

Which one do you recommend?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks