Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2008, 17:11   #1
BHPian

New Safari 2.2 VTT/ Used Tuscon/New Dzire Vdi???

Dear Friends
I have taken the decision to finally get a new set of wheels, heartwrenching as it may be to part with my Yellow Wasp (Palio 1.9D)(Chandigarh Punjab Members-Pls refer any genuine palio buyers you may know)

The budget is within 8 Lakhs Maximum
Issues with the Palio are minimal , just the change required after 3 years to go on to a higher segment. Also with my Bulky frame of 120 Kgs and 6 Ft Plus Higher segment certainly involves height and Verna, Getz, etc are NO Gos
Combined Incity and Highway Driving to be 1500-2000 Kms a month

The Options
TATA Safari 2.2 VTT : Excellent Road Presence, Looks, Size , Comfort, But then the so called maintenance cost for a Salaried guy, Is is advisable to go the New SUV way now……. The question of Cost of ownership

USED Hyundai Tucson
My Dream SUV, Compact , Beautiful, available @ 7-8 Lakhs, with 40K on the ODO, in the 2005-06 model. Again the question of Cost of ownership…..

New Swift Dzire
The Family is rooting for this car, With a Swift LDi Performimg beautifully in the family , same engine and Conservative Middle class Dream Car at 6.5 Lakhs OTR, DAD and Lil Bro are just rooting for it. But the Waiting period… Premium ….. and a Sedan is a Sedan

Also My 4 yr old Son has a Liking for the Dicor, and in some time in the future I would again try go for an SUV

My query is “why not do it in one go and go for an SUV plunge” but again the double mindedness continues and I am a bit jittery…..

Seniors Advise, Also the SAFARI Owners reviews here have made me actually begin to go weak on the Decision, but then owning an SUV has been a childhood quest...........

Last edited by rohitgaur : 24th July 2008 at 17:15.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

if you can get a well maintained tucson go for it. i think it would be the best bet since you do want to own an suv. im pretty sure hyundai *** would be better than tata.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th July 2008 at 17:21.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitgaur View Post
Dear Friends

Also My 4 yr old Son has a Liking for the Dicor, and in some time in the future I would again try go for an SUV

My query is “why not do it in one go and go for an SUV plunge” but again the double mindedness continues and I am a bit jittery…..

Don't shatter your dreams and your 4yr old kids dream, directly go with the Safari without any problem and do not worry on the service, it depends on the way the person drives it.

The engine is really good on the Safari 2.2, your litlle bro and dad will also like it once they see the vehicle and experience the ride.....

Quote:
USED Hyundai Tucson
My Dream SUV, Compact , Beautiful, available @ 7-8 Lakhs, with 40K on the ODO, in the 2005-06 model. Again the question of Cost of ownership…..
My suggestion clear NO for the 2nd hand vehicle, as you will not be knowing how much beatings the vehicle would have taken by its previous owner.

Don't think too much go for a new vehicle which ever you like,

My Opinion goes with The King - Tata Safari

Last edited by gowda79 : 24th July 2008 at 17:23.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:21   #4
BHPian

Safari is every man's childhood dream and it was mine too till i had to give in to the pressures of my family. I have not driven Tuscon though but to me i don't know it doesn't give a SUV look. D'Zire is a very peepy car i would say, if not Safari then i would personally advise you to go for the D'Zire.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift DZire Diesel : Waiting period is too long.
Used Tuscon : Used vehicle. Condition, servicing & spares, Resale values concerns.

Will leave:
Dicor 2.2. New, immediately available, Should cost lesser than the used Tuscon.

Last edited by condor : 24th July 2008 at 17:34.
Old 24th July 2008, 17:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are having a big family, go for the SUV else stick to a sedan. I am not sure about the roominess of the Dzire, please check that out. You still have plenty of time to live out your childhood dreams. Maybe you will get a much better SUV
Old 24th July 2008, 17:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Please remove the Tuscon from your list. Between the Dzire and the Safari i would go for the Safari. Dzire s rear seat aint that spacious but everything else is great in that car.

PS : Why not wait for the Fiat Linea 1.3 MJD ???
Old 24th July 2008, 18:03   #8
BHPian

When you can go in for a new vehicle, its always advisable not to consider an old vehicle. You never know what a used vehicle has in store for you after you have purchased it.

The cost of ownership for a DiCOR is not at all high. You can lookup the long term ownership reviews posted by a lot of members for the same.

If your family is insisting you to go for a DZire, then you have to consider it but you also have to account for the long waiting period which is upto 9 months in some places. Maruti has new orders for 10,000 DZires per month whereas it is only able to manufacture 3000 new DZires. So if you put this fact infront of the family, maybe you have a democratic decision and all of you agree to keep your child happy. Waise bhi, bacche Bhagwaan ka roop hote hai aur Bhagwaan to dukhi karna bohut bada paap hai.

So consider the high waiting period for the DZire and also research the cost of ownership for the DiCOR and maybe you will be able to make up your mind. Also, you will personally be more comfortable in the DiCOR given the size of your frame. (120 kgs and 6'+)

Last edited by SumitB : 24th July 2008 at 18:05.
Old 24th July 2008, 18:21   #9
BHPian

i would suggest you to go with a brand new Safari 2.2vtt rather than going for a used car and getting all the pains

AK
Old 24th July 2008, 18:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

To be honest , Buying a tata does have its unknowns , and i dont think it is that different from buying used , and the latter may be a better option if it is a known vehicle
Old 24th July 2008, 19:45   #11
BHPian

Listen to your 4 yr old. You will be his hero for ever... go for the safari and install a PS3 for your sonny in it. Live your childhood dream pal.
Old 24th July 2008, 20:29   #12
BHPian

Thanks guys

the poll goes for the safari, LX, VX or EX, that is the next million dollar question....
the cars on the forum are majorly EX , but how do I leave out some options and get my own ideas in place in terms of ICE, tyres etc....
Old 24th July 2008, 20:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys

the poll goes for the safari, LX, VX or EX, that is the next million dollar question....
the cars on the forum are majorly EX , but how do I leave out some options and get my own ideas in place in terms of ICE, tyres etc....

depends on your budget,need/liking for 4WD etc etc.
so please specify that first
Old 24th July 2008, 20:40   #14
BHPian

4WD is not reqd so 4x2 is good enuff, as a senior exec , would love pearl white, maybe with body coloured bumpers and cladding( can i get these in LX), money saved would automatically go into ICE and nightbreakers, alloys , (ffe and xenons are banned in chandigarh).
Sunny bhai ,
your safari is exactly what I percieve to be, Perrrrfect

Last edited by rohitgaur : 24th July 2008 at 20:43.
Old 24th July 2008, 20:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Options
TATA Safari 2.2 VTT : Excellent Road Presence, Looks, Size , Comfort, But then the so called maintenance cost for a Salaried guy, Is is advisable to go the New SUV way now……. The question of Cost of ownership
If people talk to you about cost of ownership for a Safari, please ask them how much exactly they have spent and on what.

In most cases, these stories dont come from Safari owners, or from those that have bought very old TCIC Safaris for dirt cheap rates. If you buy a vehicle for 2 lakhs or so, you expect maintaince costs in proportion - like those of a Maruti 800 - not realizing that this is an 8 lakh plus vehicle.

In my personal experience over 55k kilometers of hard driving, I havent found the cost of ownership to be high.

If you do go for the LX please make sure you get the additional blower and coils fitted in by your dealer at extra cost. Too many people have gone in for the LX because of the price tag, expecting the single blower to cool down the XL-sized interiors, only to complain about a/c issues later.

IMHO they should make the roof mounted blower standard across all models. Without it, cooling will be an issue.

Last edited by Steeroid : 24th July 2008 at 20:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks