Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 11:36   #61
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Gladiator View Post
Hello Friends, I have got an offer for a Used Scorpio Turbo 2.6 (2005 Nov) 78K kms done, Base version without side cladding, for 3.9 Lakh. And a 2.6 Turbo GLX (2004 July) 80k KMS done for 4.5L. which one should I go for . Please suggest. Both the vehicles are at Kerala.
How to can I easily check whether the vechile is accident free or not?. Any particular way of checking the suspension with out taking to the garage?

Thanks
Well for 60k more for the 2.6 GLX, you get a lot. Electric everything, defogger, roof rails, cladding, stereo etc etc. I think this is the one to go for if your pocket allows, and of course, if the overall vehicle is better.

For testing the vehicle, since you are not an expert, you can surely ask for the vehicle to be taken and inspected at a good local mechanic. Some used car dealers have issues with this, and I'd stay away from them.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:22   #62
BANNED

Hi Everyone,
My friend has a offer for a CRDe SLX Oct 07 model, single owner, 26k done vehicle and I TDed it today. It seems to be a good vehicle and is spotless.
What price do you people think he can pay for it at Bangalore?
The vehicle costed the owner 9.9 lacs when new. It does not have mag wheels and has the original mahindra sound system.
No other modifications done on the SUV.
Old 24th September 2009, 15:25   #63
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

if it is in really good condition i guess he could consider paying 7 for it.

26k in 2 years is perfectly fair - approx 1000 km per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hi Everyone,
My friend has a offer for a CRDe SLX Oct 07 model, single owner, 26k done vehicle and I TDed it today. It seems to be a good vehicle and is spotless.
What price do you people think he can pay for it at Bangalore?
The vehicle costed the owner 9.9 lacs when new. It does not have mag wheels and has the original mahindra sound system.
No other modifications done on the SUV.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:40   #64
BHPian

Used 2004 scorpio?

Guys,

As a second car, I am planning to buy a used 2004-2005 scorpio, done around 60k (I have not yet finalized any vehicle, but the dealer said there are some options).

I was inspired by mercedised, but unfortunately I do not know any relative to buy it from unlike him.

Will it be a good buy? Dealer is quoting around Rs. 4 lakhs but I think Rs. 2.5-3 lakhs would be a good price. Will maintenance and/or availability of parts in Bangalore be a problem?
Old 8th April 2011, 18:19   #65
BHPian

Re: Used 2004 scorpio?

I was looking for a used suv and got to look a 2006 scorpio slx in first choice. It had clocked 48k kms and he was quoting 6.6. I did a td and liked its performance, but the car had above average exterior and interiors.
After some negotiation he was ready to close the deal for around 5.8 - 5.9. But I did not go for it due to some personal constraint.

This is my one cent to give you an idea of the price range for used scorpio.
Old 8th April 2011, 20:42   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Guys,
Will maintenance and/or availability of parts in Bangalore be a problem?
Hi Sumannandy, I have replaced the normal wear and tear items like clutch plate and brake pads in my 2004 Scorpio. These were available without any waiting period in my case.

During your TD, please be a bit wary of gearbox problems / gear shifting problems, particularly in 2004 / 2005 Scorpios. Gearbox spares are tough to get for the 2004 / 2005 models as per my ASC, when I wanted to set right a minor grinding sound / feeling while engaging from 2nd to 3rd gear, which was present from day one of my purchase. The issue did not bother me much, though, over my 18 months of ownership so far.

Coil spring version (rear suspension) is preferable to the leaf spring models of 2004, which need frequent recambering / greasing to maintain ride comfort.

There have been no other issues in my Scorpio, absolutely no niggles, and the vehicle is ever eager to munch miles. I have done over a dozen long trips so far, not a single problem, including a trip to Mumbai and back.

Hope this helps.
Old 8th April 2011, 21:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

@sumannandy - I would suggest that you also go through the "Mahindra Scorpio - Issues and Solutions" thread. That might give you a fair idea of what all is involved in maintaining a 6 year old Scorpio.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 8th April 2011, 21:47   #68
BANNED

There is nothing that usually goes wrong in the early Scorpios. You can take HVK's vehicle which has done around 2,60,000 kms, Guderian which has done around 1,35,000kms and many such vehicles here and on the road.

The only recommendation that I have is to go for a vehicle which is a single owner owned, maintained by the ASC and has a clean insurance history. Try to avoid going to a dealer if possible. Instead, search for vehicles on Free Ads, CarWale, Zigwheels etc and see if you get one.
You ideally should, within a fortnight.

Coming to price, if you buy a top end made in 2004, done around 50-70k kms, you could pay between 3-3.6lakh INR.
Old 8th April 2011, 22:20   #69
Senior - BHPian

By 2004 is it end 2004 or beginning 2004? Chain drive Scorpio is recommended (First preference).

Spike
Old 9th April 2011, 10:28   #70
BHPian

Thank you for your input. I have not finalized the vehicle. The dealer said they have few vehicles but I will also try to look outside. When was the chain drive scorpio introduced and discontinued? Also, when was the coil spring model introduced?

I have visited the scorpio issues and solutions thread.

Essentially I am looking for a hassle free ownership and comfortable long drives (comfort level similar to safari that I own).
Old 9th April 2011, 11:17   #71
Senior - BHPian

@sumannandy:

I have gone through the market and came across 2 vehicles for you, 2004 and other being 2003:

1) 2004 model (June) done 79,000kms with a price tag of 2.5 Lakhs (negotiations and price will be down till 2.2-2.3L).

2) 2003 model (November) 63,000kms done 2.0 lakhs is the quoted price, negotiations will bring it down by another 20-30K Rs....

The negative aspect is that both the vehicles don't have a record of their maintenance at ASC. Engines of both the vehicles are in good condition. Suspension needs repair though.

Last edited by mercedised : 9th April 2011 at 11:18.
Old 9th April 2011, 11:55   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
When was the chain drive scorpio introduced and discontinued? Also, when was the coil spring model introduced?

Essentially I am looking for a hassle free ownership and comfortable long drives (comfort level similar to safari that I own).
The chain drive was introduced when the Scorpio was launched and it was updated to Gear Drive the very next year after which CRDe was introduced in 2005. The coil spring models came in 2006 with the "All New" Scorpio with tall headlamps, bigger front bumper etc.

Hassle free ownership is a given with a Scorpio if you purchase a good vehicle but the older leaf sprung vehicles will not have the same comfort levels as the Safari. There are, of course, a few modifications that you can do with the shock absorbers and the leaf springs to improve it.

Also, please remember that the Safari is more spacious in the Scorpio and the seat has a better recline angle as well. In case you lay your hands on an 8 seater, you will not feel the difference though.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The chain drive was introduced when the Scorpio was launched and it was updated to Gear Drive the very next year after which CRDe was introduced in 2005.
Small correction Devdath, Gear drives came first followed by Chain drives.

Spike
Old 9th April 2011, 12:44   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Small correction Devdath, Gear drives came first followed by Chain drives.

Spike
Oops, I interchanged the names. My bad.
Old 9th April 2011, 13:16   #75
Senior - BHPian

I agree with mooza that parts for the older versions are not easy to get, and you will have to depend entirely on the ASC to procure them for you with some delays.

As n.devdath mentioned, the Scorpio is a very sturdy and robust car as long as it is maintained well and single-owner-driven. Be wary of clutch plate, suspension & brake systems where significant component changes have taken place in subsequent versions of the Scorpio and you may face delays in getting those parts. Avoid buying them in the open market since on many occasions they are likely to be of poor quality or worse, used ones.

Needless to say, I would never buy a used Scorpio which has been used as a taxi and will stick to owner driven ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks