Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2011, 18:48   #76
BHPian

Re: Used 2004 scorpio?

It is very difficult to source parts for older models, is there any rule or provision which binds the manufacturer to provided spare parts to its consumers?
Old 9th April 2011, 19:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikraveesh View Post
It is very difficult to source parts for older models, is there any rule or provision which binds the manufacturer to provided spare parts to its consumers?
You will get the parts - the manufacturrer will never say No - but the service centres may not readily stock it, it will have to be indented for from the manufacturers' central warehouse. Till such time, your car may be off the road!
Old 10th April 2011, 07:44   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

suman and bulzire - be a bit wary of these elderly scorpios. while they are good solid vehicles, it is usually better to get later model vehicles especially when it comes to diesels. most importantly try and ensure you get a complete history and ensure that it is a single owner vehicle - even then it is worth checking if the vehicle has been driven by the owner or by a driver. drivers have a nasty habit of starting off in second, not allowing the vehicle to warm up and warm down for 30 secs to a minute and un-necessarily riding the clutch etc. most drivers have no clue about how to handle a turbo charged vehicle too and have other bad habits of lurking in the car, banging on the ac while sitting inside and blasting music, thus draining the battery and harming the vehicle overall. Personally I do not trust driver driven vehicles.
check for small things like whether the owner had invested in the extended warranty and so on - these little pointers usually prove that the owner cares for his vehicle and doesnt simply view it as a 'working mule'. check if the tyres, battery and suspension bushes have been changed since purchase or not. if not check the tyres for uneven wear and tear, have the battery checked by a battery shop for its electrolyte levels and charge and the suspension bushes on a test drive. Yes the Scorpio sways a lot at the rear but while going over speed bumps etc you can usually tell that the bushes are gone if you get excessive body roll. Also be sure of a soft clutch and smooth gearshift - these are tell tale signs of a well looked after vehicle. Paint work generally lasts but do check the rain channels on top and look for rust spots. Also rust spots pop up along the window channels and the rear 3 quarter glass area. tell tale rust spots are sometimes visible near the door hinges too.

the scorpio engines are very strong and can happily go upto 200000 kms if maintained well and if the oils have been changed regularly. but its always a good idea to get a medium mileage vehicle-and there are many scorp owners who do no more than 12000-15000 kms per year - which means that over 4-5 years they would have done no more than 60K-75K max.
before buying please take it across to a good service centre and get it checked thoroughly.
from my knowledge, in case you've got the budget, you can get yourself a nicely kept 2.6 Crde LX Scorpio of 2008 vintage with approx 40-45-50k on the odometer for about 6.5-6.75lacs at the maximum in a private purchase. Ive been checking the market on my Scorpio since it falls in this vintage and while the carwale website gives some basic info on valuation, I ve got this kind of indication from private parties who have come across and made me an offer.
hope you find what you are looking for!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th April 2011 at 07:46.
Old 12th April 2011, 06:43   #79
BHPian

Re: Buying a used Mahindra Scorpio

Thank you all for your input. I will search for a vehicle with proper service record.

I was actually looking for a 4x4 scorpio. Having driven 4x4 vehicles over the last 6 years or so, I think it is totally worth it getting a 4x4.

There are some options available in Bangalore, but the price quoted is very high.

Mercedised, thank you for searching a vehicle that fits into my budget, but my first preference would be a 4x4 and also a vehicle with proper service record. Let me know if you happen to come across one.
Old 12th April 2011, 06:49   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

theres one old 2004 scorp going for 4 lacs odd. I am not sure what condition it will be in though.
then there is a 2009 Scorp 4wd with airbags and auto transmission going for 9.25 lacs. that looks a good deal, considering the original on road price was 13.5 odd lacs.
but for the most part for day to day use one doesnt need 4WD. can manage perfectly well with 2WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thank you all for your input. I will search for a vehicle with proper service record.

I was actually looking for a 4x4 scorpio. Having driven 4x4 vehicles over the last 6 years or so, I think it is totally worth it getting a 4x4.

There are some options available in Bangalore, but the price quoted is very high.

Mercedised, thank you for searching a vehicle that fits into my budget, but my first preference would be a 4x4 and also a vehicle with proper service record. Let me know if you happen to come across one.
Old 14th April 2011, 02:26   #81
BHPian

I think I am aware of the 2004 scorpio you are talking about.

Sure, 4wd is not generally required, but I would love to have 4wd if possible.
Old 27th April 2011, 23:46   #82
BHPian

Hello friends
As some of my fellow bhpians are aware that i am at present hunting for big vehicle due to expansion in my family. So looking out for used vehicles since budget is a constraint at present. Yesterday i came across a old scorpio. The model is CRDe 2.6 Glx of year 2005. Till now it has clocked 88K kms. As far as exterior is concerned there was not any visible dent and very very few scratch. Only a little dent was noticed in the front right door. Interior was not very good but it was clean. The dealer has quoted me 4L for this scorpio. Need your advice friends. Should i go ahead ?
Old 28th April 2011, 04:49   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Yesterday i came across a old scorpio. The model is CRDe 2.6 Glx of year 2005. Till now it has clocked 88K kms. As far as exterior is concerned there was not any visible dent and very very few scratch. Only a little dent was noticed in the front right door. Interior was not very good but it was clean. The dealer has quoted me 4L for this scorpio. Need your advice friends. Should i go ahead ?
To begin with, what is your budget?
If it is around 6 lac, I would suggest you go for a 2007 or later CRDe/MHawk vehicle since it would have run less, would last more, and would have the coil spring rear suspension.

Coming back to this vehicle, if it is a single owner, accident free vehicle with a clean maintenance history at the ASC, you can pay around 3.2l for it IMO.
Old 28th April 2011, 09:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello friends
As some of my fellow bhpians are aware that i am at present hunting for big vehicle due to expansion in my family. So looking out for used vehicles since budget is a constraint at present. Yesterday i came across a old scorpio. The model is CRDe 2.6 Glx of year 2005. Till now it has clocked 88K kms. As far as exterior is concerned there was not any visible dent and very very few scratch. Only a little dent was noticed in the front right door. Interior was not very good but it was clean. The dealer has quoted me 4L for this scorpio. Need your advice friends. Should i go ahead ?
As n.devdath says, 4L is too high. 3L would be more well-priced.
However, please check out the vehicle's total maintenance history from the dealer where the previous owner has done his regular maintenance work. Do not trust anyone who says he stopped going to the ASC.
Wat is the condition of the tyres?
Has the clutch plate been changed - else you are due for a change?
Has the suspension been overhauled?
Ensure that it was single owner-driven and not used as a taxi.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 09:57   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
To begin with, what is your budget?
If it is around 6 lac, I would suggest you go for a 2007 or later CRDe/MHawk vehicle since it would have run less, would last more, and would have the coil spring rear suspension.

Coming back to this vehicle, if it is a single owner, accident free vehicle with a clean maintenance history at the ASC, you can pay around 3.2l for it IMO.
My budget is around 5L since i want to use this vehicle for not more than a year. I had came across 2007 scorpios but the quote was in the range of 7L to 7.5L. This is a accident free vehicle and maintenance history i am yet to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
As n.devdath says, 4L is too high. 3L would be more well-priced.
However, please check out the vehicle's total maintenance history from the dealer where the previous owner has done his regular maintenance work. Do not trust anyone who says he stopped going to the ASC.
Wat is the condition of the tyres?
Has the clutch plate been changed - else you are due for a change?
Has the suspension been overhauled?
Ensure that it was single owner-driven and not used as a taxi.
The condition of the tyres are good. There is substantial life left on the tyres and it can be easily seen. Regarding clutch plate and suspension overhauling, i have to inquire regarding that. If not that how much would it cost me to get it done ?
Old 28th April 2011, 10:04   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The condition of the tyres are good. There is substantial life left on the tyres and it can be easily seen. Regarding clutch plate and suspension overhauling, i have to inquire regarding that. If not that how much would it cost me to get it done ?
Entire work on clutch plate and suspension can set you back by as much as 25K.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 23:53   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Entire work on clutch plate and suspension can set you back by as much as 25K.
Thanks for the estimate. But considering these spending, if needed is it worth buying ? This vehicle is fulfilling the need of the hour.
Old 30th April 2011, 15:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Which is the most sensible SCORPIO model to go for?
The first generation 2.6 Turbo
The next 2.6 CRDe but with same old body
The new generation 'Christmas tree tail lights' body SCORPIO

Looking at VFM for the vehicle you get
Old 30th April 2011, 16:14   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Which is the most sensible SCORPIO model to go for?
The first generation 2.6 Turbo
The next 2.6 CRDe but with same old body
The new generation 'Christmas tree tail lights' body SCORPIO

Looking at VFM for the vehicle you get

I have driven The first generation 2.6 Turbo for an year and now driving new MHawk. I would say its far better than the old scorpio. so my suggestion will be " The new generation 'Christmas tree tail lights' body SCORPIO"
klassics45 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 10:23   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Friends,
Im planning to buy a used scorpio for domestic use.Market is quoting 3.5L to 4.5L for 2003 to 2004 models.is this price ok for a single/second owner TC1 vehicle done @ 1L kms, accident free with avg tyres ?.

Most Viewed