Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2009, 22:43   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I am thinking of going for an used Scorpio 2.6 CRde.Is it advisable to go for an used one? My budget is Rs 6.5 L.
-What all are the issues I have to look out for in the used Scorpio?
-A sparingly used 2006 machine, that has done 25- 30,000 kms sells for Rs 6 to 6.25 L.
-I will only prefer those registered in my home state - Maharashtra and one with less accessories and add-ons.
-A tyre dealer was telling me that Scorpio tyres with tubes cost in the region of Rs 4 to Rs 5 K each for Indian made ones.
Old 16th January 2009, 22:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
-A tyre dealer was telling me that Scorpio tyres with tubes cost in the region of Rs 4 to Rs 5 K each for Indian made ones.
25 to 30k kms run scorpio shouldnt have any major issues. Just check service records, engine sound, brakes, idling, any sounds while shifting gears and thats pretty much it.

Goodyear wrangler AT/R tubeless tires cost around Rs:5650 per tire. The stock bridgestone dueler h/t tires will last for around 45 to 50k kilometers of hard driving.

Last edited by badboyscad : 16th January 2009 at 22:55.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:47   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks,

Am keen on buying a SUV, Due to budget constraints am unable to go for a new one....if i could i would have bought a Safari but not keen on buying a used Safari...

Why an SUV, i need a car which can take bad roads with ease, have been driving a OHC for a while and the bad roads does strain both the driver and the car

So that leaves with me with only choice, that is a used Scorpio. I would be using it mostly on hiway...

Is it safe to buy a used Scorp... if so what it would cost me??

So guys need your valuable inputs...thanks
Since you have already made a choice, i dont know what to say.

But still the only SUV that can take bad roads with ease and also to make your highway drive a breeze and also your overtaking a whiff, and also looks good, and also does not rock like a boat and also give you fatigue free driving is the one and the only SAFARI.

The Scorpio also is a decent vehicle but scores a few points lower compared to the Safari drive.

There are lots of Scorpios available in the market, wish you best of luck to find a nice one.

Waiting to know your buy soon,
Old 17th January 2009, 09:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of going for an used Scorpio 2.6 CRde.Is it advisable to go for an used one? My budget is Rs 6.5 L.
-A sparingly used 2006 machine, that has done 25- 30,000 kms sells for Rs 6 to 6.25 L.
-I will only prefer those registered in my home state - Maharashtra and one with less accessories and add-ons.
you can easily find a used scorpio in the market. it will offer you trouble free service too. price will be around 6.5 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
But still the only SUV that can take bad roads with ease and also to make your highway drive a breeze and also your overtaking a whiff, and also looks good, and also does not rock like a boat and also give you fatigue free driving is the one and the only SAFARI.
Old 17th January 2009, 19:23   #20
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
+1 to that!
Important thing is car should be reliable, it should be sturdy and able to take abuse, I love the way you have decided that the scorpio is not good enough.
Reeks of fanboyism though
Safari is the ONLY SUV that does everything well? Please... Our countrymen have voted with their wallets for years, isnt the scorpio a best seller? Or am I mistaken?
Are we going to turn this thread into another pointless Safari Vs Scorpio thread? I hope not.
The thread is about buying a Used scorpio , lets keep it that way.

Old 17th January 2009, 19:35   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

badboyscad and dear Raj thanks for the information.Pavan took your view about the Safari, but its the Scorpio all the way for me- rippergeo its a Scorpio for me.I will keep you posted and am looking out for a very good one-may take two-three months I hope.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th January 2009 at 19:36.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2009, 20:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
+1 to that!
Important thing is car should be reliable, it should be sturdy and able to take abuse, I love the way you have decided that the scorpio is not good enough.
Reeks of fanboyism though
Safari is the ONLY SUV that does everything well? Please... Our countrymen have voted with their wallets for years, isnt the scorpio a best seller? Or am I mistaken?
Are we going to turn this thread into another pointless Safari Vs Scorpio thread? I hope not.
The thread is about buying a Used scorpio , lets keep it that way.
the important points are highlighted in bold.

as mentioned by rippergeo, lets keep the safari out of this thread as here anjan is not seeking advice on whether he should buy a scorpio or some other vehicle, he wants to know details regarding a used scorpio, ONLY AND ONLY scorpio!
Old 17th January 2009, 20:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey anjan, scorpio is a fairly reliable vehicle, however the issues you should look for in a used scorpio is:
- electrical problems: check power windows and brake lights in particular.
- clutch play and brake pads: brake pads tend to wear faster if its a roughly driven scorpio.
- generally decently scorpios are free of rattles and squeaks, however still check for this. if you find noises, it may be a fairly abused vehicle.

regarding the tyres, why dont you opt for tubeless tyres?

Quote:
badboyscad and dear Raj thanks for the information.Pavan took your view about the Safari, but its the Scorpio all the way for me- rippergeo its a Scorpio for me.I will keep you posted and am looking out for a very good one-may take two-three months I hope.
i would like to add that you should opt for a LX or DX version. they are more value for money.
Old 17th January 2009, 21:13   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks dear Raj for all the information. Shall keep you posted for more inputs you being a M& M hardcore fan.
Old 20th January 2009, 00:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anjan Scorpio CRDe engine is available in two versions one is older version with older leaf spring suspension design this version has terrible boat like handling typical of scorpios ,
You can recognize this by old style tail light.
The New CRDe ( with X-mas tail lights) has coil springs and improved handling.
Old 20th January 2009, 19:39   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Anjan Scorpio CRDe engine is available in two versions one is older version with older leaf spring suspension design this version has terrible boat like handling typical of scorpios ,
You can recognize this by old style tail light.
The New CRDe ( with X-mas tail lights) has coil springs and improved handling.
Thanks amitk26 -nice information. Yes indeed older Scorpios have the instability problems at high speeds.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks amitk26 -nice information. Yes indeed older Scorpios have the instability problems at high speeds.
well I do not want to ruffle any feathers the handling issues are still there if you compare Scorpio to other vehicles of same class but new one has marked improvement over older Scorpio
Old 4th February 2009, 18:22   #28
SBR
BHPian

Hi,

Sorry to interrupt in this thread. I currently own a M 800 and was looking at buying a used bolero for my personal use mainly because of current highway conditions in Karnataka and for safety/comfort reasons as well. However noticed this Scorpio which my colleague wants to sell;

Scorpio Nov 2003 Model - Green Color
73,000 Kms Done with Stock Tyres still. I may have to change the tyres.
First Owner with Comprehensive insurance valid till Oct, 2009.
Accident Free.
Asking Price is 3.70 lacs (Bangalore)
2.6 DX

Pls. let me know if this is a good buy and what can be paid for this considering my usage as mentioned below;

Vehicle mainly for Office Commute and Family Use with Wifey, New Born and Mother to accompany

Usage generally is 15,000 Kms Per Year. 600 Kms in City Per Month and 800 Kms per month on Highways over weekends. Highway drives are generally for Hill Stations and Jungle Resorts/Safaris ( No 4*4 driving) and In Laws place.

Was planning to go for a used Bolero, however this deal looked good to me.

Suggest.

Mods: If I have placed this Post in the wrong section, kindly move it to correct section
Old 4th February 2009, 18:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post

Was planning to go for a used Bolero, however this deal looked good to me.

Suggest.

Mods: If I have placed this Post in the wrong section, kindly move it to correct section
IMHO Used Scorpio is always better then used Bolero for your kind of driving profile until you are thinking of 4x4 .

Would not comment on price / model part as I don't have much knowledge of used Scorpio market.
Old 4th February 2009, 19:20   #30
BHPian

Hi SBR,

I am no auto-head, but my two bit based on the fact that I picked up a used 2006 CRDe 6 months back and travel with wife, 5 year old son & a fairly 'new-born' (8 month old baby!):

As pointed out by others, the older scorps (pre-2006) came with leaf spring suspensions and the ride can be very bouncy. For your intended use, such a vehicle will be uncomfortable for those travelling with you, especially the new born & your mother (I suspect she would be the back-seat traveller).

If you are looking at used Scorps, look at nothing before mid-2006; that's when the coil springs were introduced. However, these could cost anywhere between 6 - 7.25 lacs (in BLR, depending on miles munched, add-ons, etc); now, you can land a new Bolero (non-CRDe) for around the same cost.

So the choice should be between a new non-CRDe Bolero and a 2006+ used Scorp if you can stretch you budget that far. Another option is buying a 3-odd year old Bolero for around 4 lac, but it will be difficult to get one which has not been abused a bit.

Hope I haven't clouded your thought process!

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks