Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2009, 19:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well If ride comfort is paramount why don't you look for a Safari.
I do not intend to turn this thread in to Scorpio vs Safari but in area of ride comfort there is no match for rest of the things you can do your own research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi SBR,

I am no auto-head, but my two bit based on the fact that I picked up a used 2006 CRDe 6 months back and travel with wife, 5 year old son & a fairly 'new-born' (8 month old baby!):

As pointed out by others, the older scorps (pre-2006) came with leaf spring suspensions and the ride can be very bouncy. For your intended use, such a vehicle will be uncomfortable for those travelling with you, especially the new born & your mother (I suspect she would be the back-seat traveller).

If you are looking at used Scorps, look at nothing before mid-2006; that's when the coil springs were introduced. However, these could cost anywhere between 6 - 7.25 lacs (in BLR, depending on miles munched, add-ons, etc); now, you can land a new Bolero (non-CRDe) for around the same cost.

So the choice should be between a new non-CRDe Bolero and a 2006+ used Scorp if you can stretch you budget that far. Another option is buying a 3-odd year old Bolero for around 4 lac, but it will be difficult to get one which has not been abused a bit.

Hope I haven't clouded your thought process!

Cheers,
Old 4th February 2009, 20:08   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Hi,

Sorry to interrupt in this thread. I currently own a M 800 and was looking at buying a used bolero for my personal use mainly because of current highway conditions in Karnataka and for safety/comfort reasons as well. However noticed this Scorpio which my colleague wants to sell;

Scorpio Nov 2003 Model - Green Color
73,000 Kms Done with Stock Tyres still. I may have to change the tyres.
First Owner with Comprehensive insurance valid till Oct, 2009.
Accident Free.
Asking Price is 3.70 lacs (Bangalore)
2.6 DX

Pls. let me know if this is a good buy and what can be paid for this considering my usage as mentioned below;

Vehicle mainly for Office Commute and Family Use with Wifey, New Born and Mother to accompany

Usage generally is 15,000 Kms Per Year. 600 Kms in City Per Month and 800 Kms per month on Highways over weekends. Highway drives are generally for Hill Stations and Jungle Resorts/Safaris ( No 4*4 driving) and In Laws place.

Was planning to go for a used Bolero, however this deal looked good to me.

Suggest.

Mods: If I have placed this Post in the wrong section, kindly move it to correct section
please have a good check at the vehicle friend.
is it an accident free car?
i am saying this because the price he is demanding is too low. such a scorpio fetches for almost 4.5 lakhs in the market.

scorpios are very reliable and do not give any major trouble. but the 2003 model had leaf springs at the rear, so the ride in rear seats can be bouncy, do check if you are comfortable with it.
Old 4th February 2009, 20:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

@ SBR : As pointed out by raj, please check thoroughly whether it is an accident free car.

I own a dec 2003 scorpio 2.6dx and yes, the ride is relatively more bouncy when compared to its CRDe and mHawk counterparts. But it is also easy & costs relatively less, on maintenance because of no electronic gizmos under the hood.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
@ SBR : As pointed out by raj, please check thoroughly whether it is an accident free car.

I own a dec 2003 scorpio 2.6dx and yes, the ride is relatively more bouncy when compared to its CRDe and mHawk counterparts. But it is also easy & costs relatively less, on maintenance because of no electronic gizmos under the hood.

Scorpio: Less on Maintenance?

Apart from Electronic Gizmos, there are lots of stuff from Scorpio which keep failing.. A friend dealer told me that it is very expensive to maintain...as every now and then some or the other part is giving problem...

Though there are mixed reactions of the same here on TBHP.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

A friend dealer told me that it is very expensive to maintain...as every now and then some or the other part is giving problem...
YES, less on maintenance. My scorp has done 97000 kms till date, the longest period it has run without a periodic service is 5 months, not a single part gave away.i ll try to find the bill of the last service and post it here soon.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
YES, less on maintenance. My scorp has done 97000 kms till date, the longest period it has run without a periodic service is 5 months, not a single part gave away.i ll try to find the bill of the last service and post it here soon.
Good to hear that... Its helping create some positive information on Scorpio..

Had read some reports from fellow BHPians here on parts not working right from delivery and were replaced...

Though my Santro I ran for more than a year without any servicing...and no problems at all... But may be thats the difference between Petrol and Diesel cars..

Last edited by tanwaramit : 5th February 2009 at 13:45. Reason: Editing
Old 5th February 2009, 14:24   #37
SBR
BHPian

Hi AmitK26, Jammy 70, Raj 5004 and Babboyscad, thanks for your suggestions. Based on what you guys have suggested, here are my views;

Considering that some of you have suggested that the price quoted is low, this scorpio has been on company lease till now and now he is selling it for a newer scorpio. I am sure that this will be a accident free car and will have a service record as well because of the company lease factor. Will check on this.

On the comfort factor, currently I cannot stretch for a newer version of scorpio. So in the 4 lacs range, between a 2003 Scorpio and a Used Bolero, which one scores in comfort followed by trouble free maintenance? Pls. suggest?

I am somehow not comfortable with the Safari.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So in the 4 lacs range, between a 2003 Scorpio and a Used Bolero, which one scores in comfort followed by trouble free maintenance? Pls. suggest?
IMO, the scorpio is more comfortable than the bolero. Btw, what is the year of make of the bolero that you are looking for?
Old 5th February 2009, 15:19   #39
SBR
BHPian

Hi Badboyscad,

If i consider the Bolero, then it will be a 2006 version but I am not sure if I can find a good one without any abuse in Bangalore in that range.
Old 5th February 2009, 15:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the comfort factor, currently I cannot stretch for a newer version of scorpio. So in the 4 lacs range, between a 2003 Scorpio and a Used Bolero, which one scores in comfort followed by trouble free maintenance? Pls. suggest?

[quote=SBR;1159201]

For Comfirt factor you should not look towards a Scorpio or Bolero for your kind of usage IMHO there is no particular reason to believe that either of the two vehicle is going to be trouble free maintenance.
If you are uncomfortable about safari is based on reading discussions of Safari owners on T-BHP rest assured that there is a yahoo group dedicated to Scorpio where you can find similar discussions for Scorpio , Its just that there are more safari users on this board

Why don't you look for a Sedan it will fit your budget and Comfort level and also may be trouble free compared to Bolero , Scorpio or any other such vehicle.
Old 5th February 2009, 16:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

SBR one more point about the price, 3.75 for 2003 Company leased Dx looks OK and not too low. Company leased vehicles generally sells for less compared to individual owned ( Assumptions of multiple hands callously handling over the years).

Also check the actual Month of Manufacture from Chassis number. Get the vehicle inspected at some reputable garage just dont assume there is something necessarily wrong at this price point.
Old 5th February 2009, 17:42   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Apart from Electronic Gizmos, there are lots of stuff from Scorpio which keep failing.. A friend dealer told me that it is very expensive to maintain...as every now and then some or the other part is giving problem...

mixed reactions?? only 2 owners have reported some issues with it!!

after owning a non-crde for 6 years & a crde for 3 years & mHawk for 7 months & a cummultive driving of almost 3 lakhs kms, i am capable enough to tell you that scorpios are very reliable.

Quote:
Hi AmitK26, Jammy 70, Raj 5004 and Babboyscad, thanks for your suggestions. Based on what you guys have suggested, here are my views;

Considering that some of you have suggested that the price quoted is low, this scorpio has been on company lease till now and now he is selling it for a newer scorpio. I am sure that this will be a accident free car and will have a service record as well because of the company lease factor. Will check on this.

i would suggest you the scorpio as the comfort levels are more in the scorpio than the bolero.
Old 5th February 2009, 18:56   #43
SBR
BHPian

Hi Raj_5004, Amitk26,

Thanks for the valuable suggestions. Will check the vehicle and post my comments here.

The Owner is currently travelling and will be available only after 13th Feb.

If the vehicle is not upto my satisfaction, then I will drop this idea and look for something else as it is very hard to find good and less abused scorpios at this budget in Namma Bengaluru.
Old 5th February 2009, 20:45   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

surely I would recommend a Scorpio to anyone
Only have it checked properly by a mechanic/ dealer before buying

cheers!
Old 6th February 2009, 10:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

SBR,

Ive been following this thread with interest.......

One input is the mail above..... there are many others on experience, hearsy etc., about the Scorpio.

It would be worthwhile examining data. Mr.H.V.Kumar has a mind-boggling excell sheet of maintenance costs for his 3 + years Scorp, he has uploaded it in the yahoo.scorpio groups file section. Even cost of a nut and bolt is recorded there, the most comprehensive maintenance data base I have EVER seen. It would be wise to take the data privided by the manufacturer with a sack of salt, a user generated data is more valid. HVK's compilation validates the low cost of maintenance of a Scorpio. I haven't seen a cost sheet like this from any other SUV owners to back-up tall claims.

Just my thoughts on using logic to make buying decisions.

--Ramky
======

Most Viewed