Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 22:53   #151
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
My bad may be it was the older one then. Ideally what is the life of the turbo charger ?
5lac kms if not more with good usage practices.
Old 26th July 2013, 11:56   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying a used Mahindra Scorpio

I am surprised that Used Scorpios are such a rare breed in Bangalore, I have found atleast one scorpio at used car dealers in Mumbai / Thane. The dealer which i bought a car from has mentioned about a 2009 Silver scorpio for 5.9 lakhs. I am sure, he will go down to 5.7 atleast. LX model I think.
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:59   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post

I changed my first set of tires (15") to 16" at 65k kms!!
Hi Nip,

This is from a 2 year old post from you. Do you still have the scorpio ?

I have a Scorpio 2003 Chain Drive No-EGR and I love it. It has done 1,03,000 kms and I just changed the tyres 2nd time to Yokohoma Geolander 15".

Can you tell me the impact of changing the rims and tyres to 16" ?

Did you have to make any changes in the wheel area ? Did the front wheel not touch the body while turning ?

Will this result the speedometer giving incorrect readings as the circumference of the wheels increases ?

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 2nd November 2013 at 16:00.
Old 4th November 2013, 01:45   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
Did you have to make any changes in the wheel area ? Did the front wheel not touch the body while turning ?

Will this result the speedometer giving incorrect readings as the circumference of the wheels increases ?

Styler
The change from 15 to 16 inchers will not need any changes in the wheel area. There will be a speedo error of around 5%.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 03:16   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Can you tell me the impact of changing the rims and tyres to 16" ?
The Scorpio 235/75/R15 and 235/70/R16 tyre have the same outer diameter. So absolurely no issues with space or Speedo. The sidewall profile has been reduced on the 16 inch tyre.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 09:57   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The Scorpio 235/75/R15 and 235/70/R16 tyre have the same outer diameter. So absolurely no issues with space or Speedo. The sidewall profile has been reduced on the 16 inch tyre.
So any idea why this change was made ?
And what difference will it make to change from 235/75/R15 to 235/70/R16 ?
Old 11th November 2013, 20:56   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
So any idea why this change was made ?
And what difference will it make to change from 235/75/R15 to 235/70/R16 ?
Larger wheels look better and improve the handling. Also from what Mr. Behram told me, it was also required to accommodate bigger brake disk for the mhawk version.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2013, 15:53   #158
BHPian

This is a very good thread IMHO, may be because Im helping a friend get a used Scorpio. The usage would be around Nashik as she has got her farms there, around 60-80 Kms a day. I recommended her a Scorpio versus Xylo, because it will be used on typical farm roads, so more suited.
Bolero is ruled out as they wanted a lifestyle vehicle and rear seat comfort is necessary.
Used scorpios seem to go for quite tempting prices at least here in Mumbai, it will mostly registered MH 01 and used in Nashik-Devlali area.

Would like to know what are the typical areas one should check before buying a used Scorpio ?

What are the upgrades that one can do, to make the ride better ?
Sat in 2010-11 version in rural Gujarat, the vehicle inspite of developments by the company in these years, does have considerable body roll.

The vehicle would be subjected as a load carrier too at times, with loads of around 35-40 kgs.

All suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Kavesh
Old 12th November 2013, 21:46   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Would like to know what are the typical areas one should check before buying a used Scorpio ?
I'm no technical expert, but here are a few things off the top of my head that you might want to keep in mind:

1. Achilles' heel of mHawk Scorpios: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...reak-down.html
2. If your friend doesn't want a 4x4, then avoid VLX variants - they are loaded with electronics gizmos and hence more prone to niggles. Stick to either SLE or LX.
3. Suspension bushes of mHawks wear out quite fast, even with just city/highway driving.
4. Quality of rubber used in hoses, beadings, wiring sleeves etc is pathetic.
5. Power window motors act up frequently.
6. Brake light functioning can be erratic due to a small rubber widget beneath the brake pedal wearing out frequently.
7. Headlights in mHawk variants are prone to fogging up, even without any visible cracks in them.
8. mHawk variants need their propeller shaft to be greased, even though the ASC folks say otherwise. Most owners don't do it due to lack of awareness, leading to premature wear and tear. Check this too.

Points 3 - 8 above are from personal experience. 1 & 2 are from posts on the forum.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 12th November 2013 at 21:56.
Old 24th November 2013, 16:46   #160
nisam76

Planning to buy a used Scorpio.
Saw one 2007 SLX on a used car showroom. Initial looks and drive was good. Bonnet looks replaced but the doors and windshield looks orig. Looks to be a decently maintained one(vehicle owner is IBM india, with IBM parking stickers from 2007 till 2012 on windshield). The service record book inside shows last service done at 2011 and odo reading at 57K. Currently its showing 93K. Asking price is 6.25 L, sound to be very high. Thinking about a price around 5.3 L. Appreciate your help and suggestion. My mechanic friend may check the car before i take a decision. What all should i check before taking a decision?

Old 25th November 2013, 16:12   #161
nisam76

Mechanic friend checked the car and told it's good. There was little bit signs of rust on the inner left side of the fender. Mechanic told it's fine and can be corrected with some welding. Bit confused now by buying a 93K run scorpio. What could be the life of a CRDE engine? what could be the probable maintenance expenditure? gone through few threads in TBHP and read that the engine may last till 3L without any overhaul. I am currently using a Baleno and it's a no problem car with very less maintenance expense. It crossed 67K and bit skeptical about the maintenance going forward. Please provide your valuable comments.

thanks
nissam

Old 25th November 2013, 22:18   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam76 View Post
Currently its showing 93K. Asking price is 6.25 L, sound to be very high. Thinking about a price around 5.3 L. Appreciate your help and suggestion.
Even I am looking for a scorpio and I feel the rate quoted is quite high for a 2007 model. Anything below 5.5L should be a good deal provided its a first hand vehicle . My guess is you went to a car dealer, they buy it for less and sell it for more plus they will ask for commission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam76 View Post
Bit confused now by buying a 93K run scorpio. What could be the life of a CRDE engine? what could be the probable maintenance expenditure? gone through few threads in TBHP and read that the engine may last till 3L without any overhaul.
93k should be ok since people buy diesels only to drive, the asking price of the vehicles having less figures on the odo are way too high and very hard to find one too. Why don't you check out any website ( quikr, carwale, olx etc ) I have seen few good deals there. AFAIK the life of the engine should be 3-5L if not more provided it is maintained well . Rest I will leave to the experts.
Old 27th November 2013, 11:47   #163
nisam76

thanks guru.
I saw couple of cars from olx, yet to find the right one.
All the best for your search too.

Old 7th December 2013, 21:38   #164
BHPian

Friends,

Need some urgent help. As posted here earlier, I am on the look out for a used Scorpio for the last couple of months. Did not find one till now meeting my requirements of Air Bag and being less abused, less run. Air Bag being optional in Scorpio, it seems that people skip buying the Air Bag model.

Now, I have found a car which seems to meet some of my requirements. The car is a 2011 sample, VLX 4WD with Air Bag. Tyres (MRF Wanderer AT) will last for another 10-15K Kms. Body work is in good condition. It has run 54K.

In view of this, how much should be the ideal price for this car?

Moreover, Scorpio 4WD veterans pls inform what should I check out in the car specifically for the 4WD. I have never driven a 4WD Scorpio, so do not know what to expect regarding the ride and handling. I'm assuming that the chassis / suspension set up will be stiffer in a 4WD, but would the ride be too uncomfortable during highway runs?
Old 7th December 2013, 22:05   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Moreover, Scorpio 4WD veterans pls inform what should I check out in the car specifically for the 4WD. I have never driven a 4WD Scorpio, so do not know what to expect regarding the ride and handling. I'm assuming that the chassis / suspension set up will be stiffer in a 4WD, but would the ride be too uncomfortable during highway runs?
Check this thread and PM the member who had started it. He has since sold the vehicle, but might be able to answer your questions.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ms-update.html

Cheers,
Vikram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks