Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 19:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying a used Mahindra Scorpio

Folks,

Am keen on buying a SUV, Due to budget constraints am unable to go for a new one....if i could i would have bought a Safari but not keen on buying a used Safari...

Why an SUV, i need a car which can take bad roads with ease, have been driving a OHC for a while and the bad roads does strain both the driver and the car

So that leaves with me with only choice, that is a used Scorpio. I would be using it mostly on hiway...

Is it safe to buy a used Scorp... if so what it would cost me??

So guys need your valuable inputs...thanks

Last edited by lohithrao : 31st July 2008 at 19:22.
Old 1st August 2008, 09:55   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Hi Lohith,

Since you have indicated certain budgetary constraints etc and still want an SUV, IMO yes, it is worth considering an used Scorpio.

My understanding of prices right now are approx;
4.8 to 6 lacs for an older 2.6 Turbo (Non Crde).(2004-2005 models).
Advantage:The Non Crde Turbo has excellent low end torque and is great going uphill etc when fully loaded. Less electronics compared with Crde, more basic, but a very solid vehicle - no doubt about it.
Disadvantage: More kms on the odo. 4 year old diesels may require some more maintenance etc than newer ones. Am not sure how much you will get in re-sale value when you go to sell this say after another 3 years of use.

An used Crde Turbo 2.6 could set you back by 6.5 to 7 even. (2006-2007 models).
Advantages:newer technology, much more refinement that the old engine. Some few extra bells and whistles. Also a very good vehicle. Decent re-sale value can be expected.
Disadvantages: Will be more expensive to acquire.

Generally re-sale value of Scorp is pretty high, possibly because there are a large number of private users who have opted for this vehicle over the last 4 years or so.

You can always buy a vehicle direct from a private user if you can network and find one, but this is a longer process.

Another choice you have is that you can trust "FIRST Choice" near Agara Lake. There is a chap called Naveen there who is trustworthy and will give you a good vehicle at a fair price. He is available on 99860-37071.

What typically happens with First Choice is as follows:
They buy a vehicle from Private users for a price of say 4.6 lacs. They dont buy "iffy vehicles and are very clear that they prefer vehicles with proper service records, service history, proper insurance etc. They then spend about Rs 10,000/- to get it done up, serviced, checked completely etc.

They then offer it to potential buyers for about 20,000 up charge - say 4.8 lacs.

Their margin as I understand it is about 6000 on the vehicle, the remaining money having been absorbed by cost of inventory, cost of blocking the money after buying the vehicle and until it gets sold etc.

The advantage here is that you get a good vehicle, recently serviced, completely transparent paperwork, time taken for delivery of about 3-4 working days and the biggest plus - a One Year Guarantee from First Choice!

IMO, it is worth paying that small upcharge for peace of mind.

Hope this helps you find the vehicle of your choice.

cheers
Old 1st August 2008, 10:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lohit,

If you are getting a CRDe version for a slightly higher price then I would advice to go for it rather then non CRDe old Scorpio reason being there were lots of problem with suspension of old scorpio and body roll was quite high, which was rectified with launch of Scorpio CRDe , IMHO in the initial versions of Scorpio CRDe suspension was leaf spring based but still improved upon 2.6 Turbo version and later they launched one more version with CRDe engine with coil spring based suspension.

So it's not just engine but you should also look for which version of suspension you are getting. As your main reason for buying is that car should be able to take bad roads easily and not strain driver and passenger I guess this is important criteria for you.

Regards
Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks,

Am keen on buying a SUV, Due to budget constraints am unable to go for a new one....if i could i would have bought a Safari but not keen on buying a used Safari...

Why an SUV, i need a car which can take bad roads with ease, have been driving a OHC for a while and the bad roads does strain both the driver and the car

So that leaves with me with only choice, that is a used Scorpio. I would be using it mostly on hiway...

Is it safe to buy a used Scorp... if so what it would cost me??

So guys need your valuable inputs...thanks
Old 1st August 2008, 10:38   #4
BANNED

Well said Amit

You are right on this - sorry Lohith I missed out adding the suspension points:

1.Old Scorpio - Leaf Spring suspension at Rear (2.6 Turbo Non Crde) - Body roll issues were there/ slightly top heavy - but again, please remember this is a high vehicle with a higher centre of gravity, so it must not be used the way you would, a sports car!
2.Scorpio 2.6 Crde Turbo (older version) 2005 - Leaf Spring suspension at Rear. This was betterthan the previous one, with some of the roll issues sorted out. But still had a bumpy ride at the back on account of leaf springs.(this can be recognised by the old type bubble rear lights without the tall reflectors)
3.New Crde 2.6 Turbo with Independent Multi Link rear suspension - this is the upgraded version - was upgraded around 2006 end or so if I remember right. ALso has those tall rear reflectors etc. This is very comfy in the back compared with the previous versions. Very refined and the handling is also good. Lots of the earlier kinks have been ironed out. But this will cost you quite a packet because of its relative new-ness.

All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi Lohit,

If you are getting a CRDe version for a slightly higher price then I would advice to go for it rather then non CRDe old Scorpio reason being there were lots of problem with suspension of old scorpio and body roll was quite high, which was rectified with launch of Scorpio CRDe , IMHO in the initial versions of Scorpio CRDe suspension was leaf spring based but still improved upon 2.6 Turbo version and later they launched one more version with CRDe engine with coil spring based suspension.

So it's not just engine but you should also look for which version of suspension you are getting. As your main reason for buying is that car should be able to take bad roads easily and not strain driver and passenger I guess this is important criteria for you.

Regards
Amit
Old 1st August 2008, 10:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, Amit, Graet info there...thanks

About the suspension have heard about it, but am wondering even Bolero comes with leaf springs at rear but i found it very comfy??

I would have loved to buy a bolero but finding a good one is hard....the new once are too slow

Shankar you seem to have good info on "First choice" some how i dont know if i can trust these guys?
Old 1st August 2008, 11:02   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

PLEASE BUY WITH COIL SPRING REAR SUSPENSION. IT IS EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY. LOOK FOR A CAR WITHOUT CLADDINGS (THE SCORPIO LX).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st August 2008, 11:14   #7
BANNED

Hi

Yes, Bolero all versions have leaf springs at rear and coil springs in front.
2wd version is pretty comfy in the driver's seat but unless well loaded down, bumpy in the back.

4x4 bolero comes with leaf springs in front and at the back - leaf springs are an inexpensive suspension for 4WD vehicles - this is old technology but that is what the Bolero is - a basic rugged jeep type derivative, with a few creature comforts thrown in to appeal to the urban/ semi urban budget conscious MUV/ SUV buyer.

If you work/ use includes plenty of off road or rough track driving, the Bolero is a very good option because it is also lighter than the Scorpio. You probably wont get as bogged down in a Bolero, in slushy parts as you might in the Scorpio. Diesel anyway so fuel cost wont be too bad. Cheap to run and maintain - plse check the many other threads on Bolero for its virtues and vices.

Ref First Choice - it is a Mahindra plus Sah and Sanghi venture - Branded Used Car Dealership business. My experience with them has been good so far and the values they offer for buying used cars are reasonable. Main thing is that you are not dealing with an individual who may be subject to whims, fancies and maybe some un-truths, but a corporate dealership, who has to care about his customer because he is also dependent on word of mouth, for future business. I recommended Naveen because I found him to be fair in his evaluation and his dealings. I still recommend First choice as an option since it is important to have peace of mind when buying used vehicles. Getting an used bolero in good condition is not very easy - most people who buy these vehicles tend to use them for a long time and they invariably will have done lots of mileage since they are primarily MUV's used for real estate/ construction/ site visit/ load carrying type of jobs.

cheers
Quote:

About the suspension have heard about it, but am wondering even Bolero comes with leaf springs at rear but i found it very comfy??

I would have loved to buy a bolero but finding a good one is hard....the new once are too slow

Shankar you seem to have good info on "First choice" some how i dont know if i can trust these guys?
Old 1st August 2008, 11:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Bolero is much lighter and also has lower centre of gravity , Scopio has 2+ tons of weight and has a very high CG so the problem aggriviates.

If you are not very perticular about looks ,interiors and don't liek to show off then Bolero may be a cheaper and better alternative if you are buying for offroading or village roads. Also you can get 4X4 in Bolero but Scorpio 4X4 is made to order rare commodity and you will not find it in second hand market.

Regards
Amit

Quote:

Old 4th August 2008, 10:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

For me its about the usage more then the looks Though Bolero fits the bill very well i found it very slow, esp when it comes to overtaking..I wont be doing hardcore offroading but want my machine to be tough to takie on any road....i guess scorpio can do that?

Did find some Scorpios(DLX) for about 4.25-5 on carwale not sure of the condition...

Will keep you guys updated thanks again
Old 4th August 2008, 18:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Am no expert on Scorpios, but I did drive the new 2wd version with coil springs in the back and an old 4x4 version with leaf springs in the back on the same day. Drove them for fairly long distances over bad roads, good roads and no roads.

Driving impressions:
The new 2wd was pretty bouncy and felt like a boat at times (a friend in the backseat compared the ride to a camel-back ride ). Vehicle did a fair bit of bobbing around after hitting bumps and craters even with 6 adults sitting in it.
Engine was very nice - smooth, responsive, not too loud and very powerful.

The 4x4, on the other hand was a completely different animal. It felt composed and controlled with very low body roll and no bounciness whatsoever. Road grip was better, and it somehow felt more compact (I know they have the same dimensions... but this is how it felt). Drove throughout on 2H.
Engine was the non-CRDE 2.6 Turbo, and this was louder than the new one and a touch less powerful. But, there was still enough torque to keep me happy, so no complaints really.

The experts have already given their advice... just thought I'd chip in with my experiences driving the new and old models. A 4x4 is very hard to get, but an old 4x4 (even non-CRDE) would be my first choice. If you cannot source a 4x4, at least get a CRDE.
Old 4th August 2008, 22:20   #11
BANNED

carwale etc are more like internet based sites
first choice is a physical "brick and mortar" shop.
while buyng expensive vehicles, its a good idea to see and try the vehicle and satisfy yourself first. You could also try classic automotives in Bangalore -they ve got lots of branches but I dont know anyone there personally whom I can connect you with.
you could also PM our fellow BHP colleague jammy70 who is also in the market for an used Scorp. He told me today that he was told about a 2006 SLX for 8 lacs or so - 25K on the odometer. check up with him too.
cheers
shankar

Quote:
For me its about the usage more then the looks Though Bolero fits the bill very well i found it very slow, esp when it comes to overtaking..I wont be doing hardcore offroading but want my machine to be tough to takie on any road....i guess scorpio can do that?

Did find some Scorpios(DLX) for about 4.25-5 on carwale not sure of the condition...

Will keep you guys updated thanks again
Old 5th August 2008, 09:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Shankar, About the Firstchoice and the Classic kind of used car dealers i would say never trust them blindly, i know some one who was sold a accident car by the classic guys...

Its much easier to buy a car from these guys then buying directly from a seller....but i suggest that the cars are checked properly before you buy it!

Yea know Jammy, will surely touch base with him...

btw had visited first choice(koramangala) few days back...when i asked for suvs the chap who was thier to assist me started to suggest me about santro zing.........
Old 5th August 2008, 10:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

I really suggest buy brand new Safari Lx or Ex the reason Safari is much worth than scorpio for highway. For city use Scorpio is better than Safari.

I suggest try Popular automatch near Yeshwantpur, I have seen couple of Scorpio there, you can try at first choice as well.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:37   #14
BANNED

yes lohith
no need to trust anyone blindly especially when buying an used car which is expensive.
yes - as I ve always said, you need to satisfy yourself before spending your money- which is also one reason why personally, I prefer to buy brand new rather than used. Even though it may mean I have to be patient till I save enough money and so on, I am much happier when I m the first and only chap to drive the vehicle I buy!

But, of the choices available from the many used car dealers, I believe that these two are comparatively decent.

Quote:
Shankar, About the Firstchoice and the Classic kind of used car dealers i would say never trust them blindly, i know some one who was sold a accident car by the classic guys...

Its much easier to buy a car from these guys then buying directly from a seller....but i suggest that the cars are checked properly before you buy it!

Yea know Jammy, will surely touch base with him...

btw had visited first choice(koramangala) few days back...when i asked for suvs the chap who was thier to assist me started to suggest me about santro zing.........
Old 5th August 2008, 14:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Parabolic leafs in newer Bolero

Quote:
...About the suspension have heard about it, but am wondering even Bolero comes with leaf springs at rear but i found it very comfy??...
The newer Boleros have parabolic leaf springs ( and not the standard semi-elliptic leafs)...that probably explains the better ride comfort. The parabolics can offer a ride comfort similar to coil springs (the Tata Sumo being a good example).

Most Viewed