Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 16:27   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I second this completely. This is one thing I noted after the first couple of long distance drives we did. (covered elsewhere in one of my regular user updates) A matter that is easily sorted out by changing the bushes connected with that spring during service.
That said, I am glad to say Im a firm SCORPIO believer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The only issue known is squeaking sound from clutch pedal spring.
Old 18th August 2008, 19:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

I second what Anup and Shankar said.
Scorpio is a very reliable car. Mine has done 1,55,000 kms plus, lots of it on some mean roads. Never faced any power problems in hilly areas.
Car is always ready to go. I have even done 12,000 km-trip in a 15-day period without having to do anything.
I do a lot of preventive maintenance, so my maintenace costs may be perceived to be high - almost Rs 1.50 per km.
My clutch plate was replaced at 95,000 kms - on my insistence - it was sill going strong.
I have changed tyres twice - first at 75,000 kms, second at 145,000 kms.
Afer changing over to Bridgestone Tubeless AT tyres, handling is fantastic - what a tyre can do to your car's stability and manoueverability.

I have owned Mahindras before, and Scorpio is light years ahead in build quality.
Go for the Scorpio if - you love to drive
Go for the Innova if - you are going to be a passenger (my personal views only, no offence meant to Innova owners, Innova is definitely more spacious and comfortable)

Mine is an old-fashioned non-crde engine, runs on rubber belts. If you change belts as recommended (60K plus), you should face no problems.
Old 18th August 2008, 19:37   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Scorpio is a very reliable car. Mine has done 1,55,000 kms plus, lots of it on some mean roads. Never faced any power problems in hilly areas.
Car is always ready to go. I have even done 12,000 km-trip in a 15-day period without having to do anything.
I do a lot of preventive maintenance, so my maintenace costs may be perceived to be high - almost Rs 1.50 per km.
kumar Thanks for the update and for upholding Scorpio as a loved SUV. I too am a Mahindra fan and have owned/driven several of these but never a Scorpio.
I would like to know some facts- At 155,000kms did the engine ever sound like it wants an overhaul?
Did you get any engine decarbonising/ valve grinding/piston ring cahnge work done or is the engine still untouched?
What about the pogo like behaviour of the rear part in older Scorpios. I guess yours is a pre-March 2005 model since it is non CRDe?
Old 18th August 2008, 21:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Scorpio is a very reliable car.
Indeed it is we who can second what you say, Mr H.V. Kumar!
Our combined mileage will not add up to anything close to what you have run up!
Old 18th August 2008, 21:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

I also wanted to chip in with my two cents about the Scorpio. But after what HVK wrote, I don't think anymore needs to be written about this magnificient vehicle.

I own a 2004 non-CRDE, timing chain driven Scorpio that has done 75K till date without any issues whatsoever. As Roshun mentioned a proud Scorpio moment, I also recall a E240 stranded and stalled on the DLF Phase V, Golf course road in Gurgaon, in deep waters a few days back when it rained incessantly, while I royally strode past it in the deeper waters safely to home..

While I'm writing this, just to let you know all that my vehicle's alternator has stopped charging. Will check out tomorrow.

Last edited by gd1418 : 18th August 2008 at 21:44.
Old 18th August 2008, 21:49   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I also wanted to chip in with my two cents about the Scorpio. But after what HVK wrote, I don't think anymore needs to be written about this magnificient vehicle.

I own a 2004 non-CRDE, timing chain driven Scorpio that has done 75K till date without any issues whatsoever. As Roshun mentioned a proud Scorpio moment, I also recall a E240 stranded and stalled on the DLF Phase V, Golf course road in Gurgaon, in deep waters a few days back when it rained incessantly, while I royally strode past it in the deeper waters safely to home..

While I'm writing this, just to let you know all that my vehicle's alternator has stopped charging. Will check out tomorrow.
I was there and i saw a dead laura,lot of 800s,wagonr s and indica dead in deep water,where the scorpio did not mind the water and at a point when there too much jam near paras hospital it easily crossed the divider.cheers:
Old 18th August 2008, 21:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also recall a E240 stranded and stalled on the DLF Phase V, Golf course road in Gurgaon, in deep waters a few days back when it rained incessantly, while I royally strode past it in the deeper waters safely to home..
Quote:
I was there and i saw a dead laura,lot of 800s,wagonr s and indica dead in deep water,where the scorpio did not mind the water and at a point when there too much jam near paras hospital it easily crossed the divider.cheers:
I think thats what a SUV is suppose to do right? So, its news only when it is not going forward and stranded in water Not the other way.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I would like to know some facts- At 155,000kms did the engine ever sound like it wants an overhaul?
Did you get any engine decarbonising/ valve grinding/piston ring cahnge work done or is the engine still untouched?
What about the pogo like behaviour of the rear part in older Scorpios. I guess yours is a pre-March 2005 model since it is non CRDe?

I have always wondered about the engine overhaul part. In my earlier Mahindra Commander (1994), I seized the engine (low oil, coolant leak) at 75,000 kms. In my Matiz (1999), I had to overhaul the engine at 1,55,000 kms. But the Scorpio - I don't see any perceptible change in performance - power delivery is great, mileage has actually improved. Checked up with ASC - they also said engine's OK. I have done some routine decarbonising, once every 30-40,000 kms. I have changed the cylinde head gasket once because of an oil leak, but not touched the engine (touch wood!). The change in tyres has done wonders for the car - the standard Bridgestone tubed HT tyres let down the Scorpio badly. Now I am able to race down steep ghats, ride Bombay's rain-slippery roads with a grea deal of confidence. Experiment around also with tyres and tyre pressure till you get handling right.
Old 19th August 2008, 06:54   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

some comments below in bold.

Quote:
I do a lot of preventive maintenance, so my maintenace costs may be perceived to be high - almost Rs 1.50 per km. YESSIR! Couldnt agree more. Preventive is far better than disaster maintenance any day.
Afer changing over to Bridgestone Tubeless AT tyres, handling is fantastic - what a tyre can do to your car's stability and manoueverability. I had 215/15/75 Bridgestone with tubes on my Bolero- very good tyres. Now I ve got 235/ 16/70 Bridgestone tubeless on my Scorp - these are superb in terms of handling.

I have owned Mahindras before, and Scorpio is light years ahead in build quality. Definitely. After all it IS of far newer tech so this is to be expected. Good on the part of the Mahindra people to have demonstrated willingness to improve.
Go for the Scorpio if - you love to drive. YES. It is a fun vehicle and in all senses of the word a "driver's" car.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:03   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have always wondered about the engine overhaul part. In my earlier Mahindra Commander (1994), I seized the engine (low oil, coolant leak) at 75,000 kms. In my Matiz (1999), I had to overhaul the engine at 1,55,000 kms. But the Scorpio - I don't see any perceptible change in performance - power delivery is great, mileage has actually improved. Checked up with ASC - they also said engine's OK.
Hvkumar, Mahindra have designed the engine to last 3,00,000 kms at a minimum. Just stick to the recommended maintenance schedules and you should be all set. The 2.2 & 2.6 are both true gems.....zero turbolag, great driveability and very peppy delivery.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As Roshun mentioned a proud Scorpio moment, I also recall a E240 stranded and stalled on the DLF Phase V, Golf course road in Gurgaon, in deep waters a few days back when it rained incessantly, while I royally strode past it in the deeper waters safely to home..
Quote:
Now, now children, that's enough........the thread was running fine without this bit. I waded through all that water in my elephant on Thursday evening as well. And its all about ground clearance & (in most cases) common sense. As the gentleman rightly said -
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think thats what a SUV is suppose to do right? So, its news only when it is not going forward and stranded in water Not the other way.

Last edited by suman : 19th August 2008 at 14:23.
Old 19th August 2008, 14:58   #27
BHPian

mate, every vehicle has some kind of minor problems and if you are unlucky, then any vehicle will be a big everyday headache...
if you have a little bit of interest in scorpio also, jump in, if you love your car, its problems will not be a big issue
Old 19th August 2008, 15:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now, now children, that's enough........the thread was running fine without this bit. I waded through all that water in my elephant on Thursday evening as well. And its all about ground clearance & (in most cases) common sense. As the gentleman rightly said -
mate you ride an elephant in town? is it not too expensive to own? pls chill suman, these guys just love their SUVs the way every member of t-bhp does. so even such small incidents which can be taken for granted gives them (even me) a high, there is nothing wrong in it.

as far as the reliabilty goes, if innova aint your type, close your eyes and opt for the scorpio buddy. you cant go wrong with it, it wont let you down. im saying this after 6 yrs and more than 2 lakh kms of ownership of 3 scorpios!
Old 19th August 2008, 15:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

I don't think reliability is any issue with any car in these days unless you do all scheduled and prescribed maintenance at least.

These all are new generations car far more better than older generations Amby, Fiat where reliability was key issue. I remember we owned a 1971 model Amby and alternator, starter, battery, tyre alignment etc. were always issue with it.

In new generation cars these are not at all issue, only they demand scheduled and prescribed maintenance. These all reliability is for normal condition (Driving on road). But for extreme conditions (if this is your concern) like flood well not a single vehicle designed to swim in flood like boat, If you come out with that, it is plus point.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
mate you ride an elephant in town? is it not too expensive to own?
Heh-heh Raj, that was really funny! (Looks for something to tickle himself with)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
pls chill suman, these guys just love their SUVs the way every member of t-bhp does. so even such small incidents which can be taken for granted gives them (even me) a high, there is nothing wrong in it.
Raj, just FYI, Anshuman & GD are my neighbours & I believe they can speak for themselves....so I suggest you chill & let them reply & not interrupt, what say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks