Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2008, 11:52   #1
BHPian

Scorpio Reliability

Dear Bhpians,

On my recent trip to India I did the TD of Scorpio and came to know the plus points and drawbacks of and found them to be in sync with what team bhpains have put up on the forum.

However the information that I am in need of is RELIABILITY RELIABILITY RELIABILITY in the mechanicals and whatever electricals is needed to keep the Engine moving. This information is not very clear from the Forum from Scorpio owners.

I would like to know how good is life of
1) Transmission
2) Final Drive
3) Suspension - Durability for City highway and 15% Off Road use.
4) The Heart I am aware of but still if you owners could give more info will help
Does the heart run on timing belt or timing gears or chain.

My Wife or myself would be the only drivers so the vehicle will not be abused.

Please give me your findings and common problems that you have come during your vehicle ownership period.

ALSO LET ME KNOW WHICH VARIANT WOULD BE THE BEST
RELIABILITY RELIABILITY RELIABILITY

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 3rd August 2008 at 11:54.
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

Jr Godzilla, are you going in for the 4X4 Scorpio?

If not, how come you are not looking at the Innova? With reliability being paramount, and durability being next, an Innova would fit the bill better.
Old 3rd August 2008, 12:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Jr Godzilla, are you going in for the 4X4 Scorpio?

If not, how come you are not looking at the Innova? With reliability being paramount, and durability being next, an Innova would fit the bill better.
I am not to sure of the 4x4 but would like to have its relaibility report too.
I wont be doing much of any hardcore off roading you could say just the occassional off raod on a traffic filled highway but having the 4x4 is sure an asset even on such manouveres.

although i did not like the looks of the Innova my overall analysis was just as youve said, and it is sure VFM but my wife hates the look of it and will not sit in it if it is a personal drive.

The competitor was in her mind for the looks department but then Ive heard of the niggles and that kept my decision on hold and diverted to the Scorp. I have seen the Scorps being driven hard on the expressways and there are just too many that I see. So i guess it is quite reliable but I want your feedback from owners on the reliabilty of engine.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
... and it is sure VFM but my wife hates the look of it and will not sit in it if it is a personal drive.
Indeed a rather common sentiment about the looks of that otherwise splendid vehicle!
What would help change her mind is a TD of the Innova vs the Scorpio. The Innova feels just like a car, though the view from driver's seat is not as commanding as in a Scorpio.

My Scorpio has been used only 15400 kms in the two years of its life.
For whatever it is worth, here is my 'review': I have used it mainly for travel in the mountains (read bad roads). I've done the Srinagar - Leh - Manali circuit and numerous other forays into Himachal (including Jalori Pass - one of the most difficult ones) and Uttaranchal. Also some bad jeep tracks by way of local sightseeing in the mountains. Done in the line of duty as it were!

No issues at all. What needed to be done during or after each trip? NOTHING at all!
Any new 'noises' or rattles? None!

But then, I consider the mileage on the odo too small to form any firm opinions yet. All indications are that reliability is very good indeed.

Last edited by anupmathur : 3rd August 2008 at 13:10.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:27   #5
BHPian

I have seen your scorp pics on the scorp picture thread and you have done some great terrain. seeing your pics i have noted you have a 4x4 and i guess if I ever think of taking the scorp on a pune ladakh trip i sure would need this mechanism.

How was the pulling of the vehicle in the high mountain ranges I mean was the engine feeling strained in anyway. and does it pull well in 3rd 4th on straight inclines.

all other info you have pls let me know engine section top priority.
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How was the pulling of the vehicle in the high mountain ranges I mean was the engine feeling strained in anyway. and does it pull well in 3rd 4th on straight inclines.
The pulling ability is very much also linked to the speed. Sorry, 3rd and 4th gear will simply not do on gradients where the terrain is bad.
The bad terrain limits the speed you can do, which, in turn, dictates the gear you will need to be in!

Almost all of the bad mountain passes (where, as a rule, roads are nearly non-existent a few kms each side of the pass) need to be done in first gear. Kindly note, it is not engine power that is compelling the use of first gear, it is the speed you are constrained to because of the terrain. Typical sppeds might be hovering around 15 to 20 kmph.

On good black-top roads, you'll never really be in need of more power from the engine. In short, this car never makes you feel it is under-powered.

On highways, is where you'll miss having a sedan. In the Scorpio, you'll feel unnerved by the time you hit 120-130 kmph! Why? The overall 'feel' and the knowledge of the braking abilities!
Old 3rd August 2008, 13:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The bad terrain limits the speed you can do, which, in turn, dictates the gear you will need to be in!
On highways, is where you'll miss having a sedan. In the Scorpio, you'll feel unnerved by the time you hit 120-130 kmph! Why? The overall 'feel' and the knowledge of the braking abilities!
Absolutely terrain dictates.

I would generally be in the speeds of 90 110 max as I am aware of the vehicles dimensions and CG so no issues on that.
On my recent trip I was driving my BIL's 800 mpfi and did a lot of ghat sections in speeds of 70 to 90kmph and was extremely aware of the vehicles pathetic braking. I can say it has virtually No Brakes there is absolutely no Feel or no stopping power you have to stand on them I guess but was happy in controlling thru the gears.

Thanks for your valuable input Sir!!!
Old 12th August 2008, 15:02   #8
BHPian

Scorpio Reliability Reply to Thread

You can for SCORPIO VLX - mHawk... Having heard from experts... people say it is better than the old scorpio with improved suspension... engine is very smooth and yes it has extra goodies like cruise control etc...
If the price is not an issue , you can go for it !!
Old 18th August 2008, 13:37   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am part of the bunch of guys on TBHP who own and enjoy the Scorpio.
My personal experience with all Mahindra vehicles has always been rock solid reliability and ease of servicing etc. As mentioned before elsewhere on this thread our family has had some kind of Mahindra with us at all times over the last 30 odd years.
IMO, the Scorpio is no less reliable than any of the other mahindra vehicles we ve had.
You could read some of the reviews / replies Ive posted with my experiences if you want - they may give you some indication as to what the Scorp's behaviour is like.
It is a good choice of vehicle and as Anup has said, if you seriously intend to go onto the roads less travelled and in mud, slush and off road conditions it would be better to have a 4WD Scorp.
Cheers and have fun

Quote:
Dear Bhpians,

On my recent trip to India I did the TD of Scorpio and came to know the plus points and drawbacks of and found them to be in sync with what team bhpains have put up on the forum.

However the information that I am in need of is RELIABILITY RELIABILITY RELIABILITY in the mechanicals and whatever electricals is needed to keep the Engine moving. This information is not very clear from the Forum from Scorpio owners.

I would like to know how good is life of
1) Transmission
2) Final Drive
3) Suspension - Durability for City highway and 15% Off Road use.
4) The Heart I am aware of but still if you owners could give more info will help
Does the heart run on timing belt or timing gears or chain.

My Wife or myself would be the only drivers so the vehicle will not be abused.

Please give me your findings and common problems that you have come during your vehicle ownership period.

ALSO LET ME KNOW WHICH VARIANT WOULD BE THE BEST
Old 18th August 2008, 15:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Reliablity comes free with Scorpio, i dont think its fair to compare innova with scorpio(van vs SUV),innova's ride is better than scorpio at times but it cannot match the suspension travel of scorpio.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:52   #11
BHPian

I have had the scorp for 10 months and 16000 kms so far.. No problems other than a windshield washer hose coming loose. Solved by a 10 paisa cable tie.
I drive mine hard, fully loaded and with no mercy. The truck has stood by me. no problems. As a matter of fact, it is on broken tarmac that it comes to it element. When the sedans are crawling the scorp is gliding .

Buy it my friend. you will not regret it.
Old 18th August 2008, 15:58   #12
BHPian

I've covered 52,000 KM with my Scorpio in the past 2 years 4 months. I think it is a very reliable vehicle, both as a daily driver and for the occasional off-road jaunt.

As long as you give it a bit of attention and stick to the service routine (get every rattle / problem sorted out before it becomes a bigger problem), you won't have any issues with it. But do go in for the extended warranty, it's worth it.

Is the Scorpio a "fill it, shut it, forget it" type of vehicle? No, not really. You need to keep checking on it at least once a week, compared to say an "appliance" like the Japanese make cars.

A proud Scorpio moment: The other day I saw a Porsche 911, crawling gingerly over potholed roads after the recent rains, holding up a huge line of cars. As for me, I took the rough road, through the water and slush and was well on my way, while the poor Porsche was desperately trying not to get its underbelly scratched.

Cheers,
Old 18th August 2008, 16:06   #13
BHPian

jr godzill-reliablty of a scorpio is amazing, as well as the power too, but handling in high speeds is an issue,as well as the back seat ride,[very uncomfortable]if these too is not a problem for you,go for the scorpio, but if you not doing much bad roads or off roading, innova is a better option.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:19   #14
BHPian

Hi,
So far ( 32 months and 32 k kms) so good!
Not a single issue,except for the cabin light konking off.
She is a beauty!
Go for it.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

The only issue known is squeaking sound from clutch pedal spring.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks