Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 14:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

The tavera might be a cheaper option as it is very popular among tourist taxis and the engine is a very simple, but reliable engine. It is more fuel efficient than the Scorpio!

The suspension is no great shakes though.
Old 27th August 2008, 14:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
As far as Tavera and Gurkha are concerned, it suits well for a taxi segment.
I can understand that about the Tavera but the Gurkha?
Old 27th August 2008, 15:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

4 X 4 it is.

For your needs a 4x4 Scorp is best suited, you'd have to wait a while after booking.

The Gurkha and Tavera, IMO, are out due to many reasons others have already explained.

--Ramky
Old 27th August 2008, 16:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Scorpio. Suits your needs more than the others.
If possible, look for a used 4x4 version in good condition. Hard to come by, I know, but it's worth it.
Old 28th August 2008, 19:18   #20

Note from Support: Please don't Copy-Paste from a word processor. Use notepad instead.

out of curiosity I test drove the Gurkha today. I was lucky as the dealer in bombay was extremely nice and cooperative : my findings were
the car I drove was a car that had been used for 5000km on jungle roads.

My impressions were. The gurkha externally has amazing build quality, it is bult like a tank. Extremely tough exteriors. The Steel grill is on the chassis, very tough and the metal body, u can feel the difference in build from commercial cars. However the interiors build was extremely poor. The dashboardwas very basic same as in low end Trax models. At 5000 kms the door handles and the front seat were in total disarray. This could be attributed to extremely rough maintenance and terrain. It is a 2 Door vehicle something that was not earlier apparent. Second row seating had good leg sapce. The 6th and 7th seat was useless. I am of average built ( size 40 shirt) and my shoulders could not fit in the back. If anyone wants to use this in the city or with family he will have to spend in redoing the seats and maybe put channels for moving second row seat forward andreverse and also get some mechanism to recline the second row seat. The seats might also have to be padded more. The 6th and 7th seats will hv to be discarded. The hand brakes on drivers side cannot be reached with door closed. The gear shift is like extremely old sumo and is very cumbersome.

The tyres were off roading tyres unlike what were seen in the coorg photos in an earlier thread. These tyres would not be good in city and make a whining sound. Oncce we started the car, back seat ride was very bumpy. I think if the seats were placed a little more behind on the tyre the effect would have been better. As expected the Gurkha made light of extremely bad roads. The power in the car was superb each gear was extremely responsive in terms of power and the Gurkha felt extremely powerful to drive. The front Bonnet of the Gurkha seems extremely wide (Scorpio seems easier to drive). The owner indicated that he had taken the car till 140Km and the Gurkha was rock solid on the road. The steering (PS)was surprisingly sensitive and the Gurkha handled very well/ It was very easy to manoevre. Brakes seemed adequate.

After seeing the interiors and the engine my frined was convinced that engine is very elementary and you cannot get suck anywhere and the maintenance costs will be very low.

The price was 8.17 outside octroi limits. Add octroi, registration, insurance and we are looking at approx aprice tag of 9.5. To make the Gurkha acceptable to a family would be mean further modifications of around 50K by doing seats, a ramp for the step up ladder, lock for the stepin tyre, music system etc. I dont know about the discount available on this but I am sure the end user price will be close to 9.5-10. However it comes with a whopping 3years or 3lakh km warranty.

I cannot say it is overpriced as it gives a 4WD + diff lock and the warranty which others dont. This is a great off roader I am sure but definitely does not meet my need. I cant see my aging mom and my wife being very happy with the interiors after paying 10L

So all in all the decision on Scorpio is uchallenged. thank you all.
Shankar...negos in progress on the scorpio I have pitched Carwale guy vs the dealer and trying to see who gives in more.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th August 2008 at 19:42. Reason: Text format tags removed. See note.
Old 29th August 2008, 12:46   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good reasoning pschizo! sensible to try everything and then decide what best suits you. Your hard earned money after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschizo View Post
Note from Support: Please don't Copy-Paste from a word processor. Use notepad instead.

out of curiosity I test drove the Gurkha today. I was lucky as the dealer in bombay was extremely nice and cooperative : my findings were
the car I drove was a car that had been used for 5000km on jungle roads.

My impressions were. The gurkha externally has amazing build quality, it is bult like a tank. Extremely tough exteriors. The Steel grill is on the chassis, very tough and the metal body, u can feel the difference in build from commercial cars. However the interiors build was extremely poor. The dashboardwas very basic same as in low end Trax models. At 5000 kms the door handles and the front seat were in total disarray. This could be attributed to extremely rough maintenance and terrain. It is a 2 Door vehicle something that was not earlier apparent. Second row seating had good leg sapce. The 6th and 7th seat was useless. I am of average built ( size 40 shirt) and my shoulders could not fit in the back. If anyone wants to use this in the city or with family he will have to spend in redoing the seats and maybe put channels for moving second row seat forward andreverse and also get some mechanism to recline the second row seat. The seats might also have to be padded more. The 6th and 7th seats will hv to be discarded. The hand brakes on drivers side cannot be reached with door closed. The gear shift is like extremely old sumo and is very cumbersome.

The tyres were off roading tyres unlike what were seen in the coorg photos in an earlier thread. These tyres would not be good in city and make a whining sound. Oncce we started the car, back seat ride was very bumpy. I think if the seats were placed a little more behind on the tyre the effect would have been better. As expected the Gurkha made light of extremely bad roads. The power in the car was superb each gear was extremely responsive in terms of power and the Gurkha felt extremely powerful to drive. The front Bonnet of the Gurkha seems extremely wide (Scorpio seems easier to drive). The owner indicated that he had taken the car till 140Km and the Gurkha was rock solid on the road. The steering (PS)was surprisingly sensitive and the Gurkha handled very well/ It was very easy to manoevre. Brakes seemed adequate.

After seeing the interiors and the engine my frined was convinced that engine is very elementary and you cannot get suck anywhere and the maintenance costs will be very low.

The price was 8.17 outside octroi limits. Add octroi, registration, insurance and we are looking at approx aprice tag of 9.5. To make the Gurkha acceptable to a family would be mean further modifications of around 50K by doing seats, a ramp for the step up ladder, lock for the stepin tyre, music system etc. I dont know about the discount available on this but I am sure the end user price will be close to 9.5-10. However it comes with a whopping 3years or 3lakh km warranty.

I cannot say it is overpriced as it gives a 4WD + diff lock and the warranty which others dont. This is a great off roader I am sure but definitely does not meet my need. I cant see my aging mom and my wife being very happy with the interiors after paying 10L

So all in all the decision on Scorpio is uchallenged. thank you all.
Shankar...negos in progress on the scorpio I have pitched Carwale guy vs the dealer and trying to see who gives in more.

Most Viewed