Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 07:51   #1
BHPian

Best large chauffeured vehicle?

I love driving but there are certain occasions when I think being chauffeured is desirable, such as in the 8AM to 11PM Mumbai traffic or after having a few drinks.

As I will seldom drive this, I'm looking for a spacious vehicle. Sedans won't cut it. I want to be able to lie down completely in the vehicle & lounge around, have room for another person to lie down completely in the vehicle . My plan for the interiors is as follows:

Complete revamp of the rear/passenger area. Get rid of the seats. Install a circular couch, the kind that can be seen at the lounges of hotels, with a retractable bed which can be pulled out from underneath it. Blue & white lighting to choose from, extra AC vents & a privacy shield separating the front seats from the rear area. DVD player w/ largest possible screen. Desktop PC & LCD permanently installed. A mini fridge/bar, and cup holders.

This is all going to be consuming some serious battery power.

So far I've shortlisted the tata sierra & tata safari. I don't like the scorpio. I will be buying the vehicle used, so apart from interior mods I have a maximum budget of Rs.500,000.

A smooth ride is a must, and no engine noise or vibrations.

What do you suggest? Once again I won't be driving this vehicle, I just want something large to sit back and relax in.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

A Toyota Innova will suit your needs perfectly.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:03   #3
BHPian

How about our home grown mini limo Indigo XL? - Finding an used one might not be that easy though.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

What happened to your
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...o-invader.html
plans?
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

A little outside your budget, but you should be happy with a B7R.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Condor, my man - hilarious. You stole my words!

No seriously, what you demands acres of real estate, so either you bling out a Force Cruiser or TataMobile, NOTHING else will give you that length you want. Not even safari. Though it has the comfort bit down pat.
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:01   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Evil, take a spin in the captain-chair equipped Innova's. The middle row is mindbogglingly comfortable; it even has slider / incline adjust.

Quote:
Complete revamp of the rear/passenger area. Get rid of the seats. Install a circular couch, the kind that can be seen at the lounges of hotels, with a retractable bed which can be pulled out from underneath it. Blue & white lighting to choose from, extra AC vents & a privacy shield separating the front seats from the rear area. DVD player w/ largest possible screen. Desktop PC & LCD permanently installed. A mini fridge/bar, and cup holders.
If you are serious about the couch, mini office / fridge / bar, a Tempo Traveller is your best fit. Check these threads out for more information:

Modded Traveller

Tempo Traveller testdrive

Caravans in India?

Tempo Traveller modifications

DC is your best bet in Mumbai for such a conversion. Won't be cheap though. Expect to pay in the region of 10 lakhs (+ cost of vehicle).
Old 2nd September 2008, 11:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think its better to get an innova and do the mods you want to do on them. ( Like removal of middle row and installation of tv, laptop stand, refrigerator, reclining seats etc)
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

My recommendation would be the Tempo Traveller! SWB or LWB, depending on your needs. You could look up here: ...::: Welcome to Force Motors : Products Section :::...

Perfect for doing up as a mini-mobile home. And you could even consider a wee chemical toilet along with your entire list of intended mods!

Now isn't that a perfect evil idea!

Last edited by anupmathur : 2nd September 2008 at 12:08.
Old 2nd September 2008, 12:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

well yes innova and petrol one at that, as you dont want vibrations or would like least vibrations right? and finding a second hand petrol innova will be easier and will be relatively cheaper to buy.

but building up the interiors to what you want can cost from min of say 2 lacs to unlimited amounts!
Old 2nd September 2008, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you get Mercedes Van (2nd Hand) Or Tata Winger for your coming project. My cousins had Mercedes Van in Nagpur sold some 6 months back and got new Tata Winger. Their requirements are also same and make it comfortable van for long distances.

There were many modifications they did to suits the need.

1. Six push back leather seats with removable attachments.
2. Can adjust custom made beds after removing six seats
3. DVD player with 14 inch roof mounted screen.
4. Fridge fitter between driver and passenger area.
5. Passenger area can have complete privacy.
6. Mercedes VAN is already equipped with double AC so no need for separate vents or AC.

They are running Tata Winge in Stock condition except Tyres upgrade. They are planning to do such modification in Tata Winger.

You can get Tata Winger Higher end around 7.5 lakh OTR and second hand Mercedes VAN 7 Lakh to 10 Lakh depending upon condition.

Mercedes VAN
Best large chauffeured vehicle?-mercvan.jpg

TATA Winger
Best large chauffeured vehicle?-tatawinger.jpg

Hope this helps if you have some realistic goals.

PICS: Courtesy Internet search.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks