Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:25   #1
BANNED

2nd hand Pajero?

It's been a year and a half or so.
The journey so far was just amazing, great and satisfying. It stood with me in almost every hard and light moments. I've treated it very badly and sometimes, very delicately. But it never complained. It has also become one of my favourite work horse and companion. No matter if I'm on a trip of thousand kilometers or just around the corner grocery shopping. This is my 2nd vehicle I bought with my own money and time.
Yes! I'm speaking about the Qualis. My always dirt coated, untidy, taxi kind of a vehicle for many. But it captured my mind after each and every journey.

Now, all good things must come to an end one day. Ain't it? (damn! Whoever said that).
I'm leaving for an out of country assignment for a month or 2. I will only be visiting home once or twice in this duration and it will be very short visits. The Qualis is going to be kept idle all this while. On an evening meeting with my parents, this topic of buying and selling vehicles came up (Why? Why? Why?). It was always insisted in my Family that I get an Innova from the time it was launched! So, it dragged on to this once again. Innova! Innova! Innova! Even my kids started shouting. :(
I made it very clear that the Innova is not the vehicle suited for my use (abuse, shall we say?). I also used my best lecturing abilities reminding all the different incidents in which the Qualis came out with flying colours. I was very much a failure in that!

Then, started the next round!
If this has to go, then let it go for something better. Ain't it? Tata Safari, Scorpio etc.. were counted out for many obvious reasons. So, the list of demands were laid out.
I wanted a 4X4 or a vehicle that will come out of our bombed out roads. Not an out and out offroader!
It should seat 7 atleast.
Should not cross more than 11L - 12L.
Should be easier and not very expensive to maintain.
Should be reliable.
Should be a diesel.
Should be a bit fun to drive.

All these things pointed out to only one vehicle. Yes, as the title of this thread reads: A 2nd hand Mitsubishi Pajero! No other vehicle came closer than this.

Is it a wise thing to go forward with guys? Will I have any major problems with this? What are the things I should be aware of? Is there any more options I can look out for?

Please feel free to suggest all the positives and negatives.
Old 2nd September 2008, 09:59   #2
BHPian

2nd Had Pajero in 11 - 12L budget, are you dreaming? Which year are you aiming off. I have been looking for this for 4-5 months now and last (2004 model) between 13-14 L in Delhi, that too GGN registration.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Zak

You should find plenty of used Pajeros in Kerala, most of them in good condition as they are NEVER abused and are primarily used as a "show-off" vehicle for their owners to arrive at large functions in what they consider 'style'.

Getting one within 10-11 lakhs will be another issue altogether, though. The only 2nd hand Pajs that come within that budget will be the older version assembled by HM which is a very good vehicle in its own right - better than the newer ones in its ability to take abuse, definitely. It comes with that silly twin-color paint scheme, though so you will have to spend some $$$ on painting.

Now lets forget about the Pajero and talk about that RX-8 which I want you to buy here in DXB.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:32   #4
BHPian

Zak, great decision. i already started dreaming of ICEing the Pajero, Pajero in himalayas - threads.

It looks like, a well maintained one will cost you between 13 to 14 L. If you want to get it less than 12L, then you will have to look for a car with more than 1L kms run.

There is a black one in cochin for sale, did only 35K kms & you might get it for 13.5L depends on your negotiation skills. (source: chirayath)

Last edited by mansidea : 2nd September 2008 at 10:34.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:42   #5
Team-BHP Support

Very good decision.
It's pretty much the vehicle I'm considering as the Conti replacement a couple of years from now.
In Mumbai too, the asking rate for HM built Pajero GLXs is 14-15 lakhs.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:46   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't worry about the Pajero's reliability; it is built for terrains far worse than you will ever subject it to. The Pajero is mechanically simple and is built with extremely robust underpinnings. Maintained well, it can serve you reliably for atleast 15 years / 2+ lakh kms.

Considering that most Pajeros are bought by high-milers, and that she retails for a little over 20 lakhs, you will be hard pressed to find a recent example for 11 lakhs. As Sam has posted, a decent budget would be anywhere between 13 - 14 lakhs for a good car.

Quote:
It should seat 7 atleast.
Be warned though that the Pajero is good for 5 adults, not 7. The last row is best left to kids. Plus, the narrow dimensions make the second row better suited to 2 adults rather than 3.

Quote:
The only 2nd hand Pajs that come within that budget will be the older version assembled by HM which is a very good vehicle in its own right - better than the newer ones in its ability to take abuse, definitely. It comes with that silly twin-color paint scheme, though so you will have to spend some $$$ on painting.
You mean the old body-on-frame type, right? Yup thats the one I am talking about too. That's the only Pajero that will fit in Zaks budget. The Monteros (3rd Gen) go for 18 - 15 lakhs in the used market.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2008 at 10:49.
Old 2nd September 2008, 10:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Be warned though that the Pajero is good for 5 adults, not 7. The last row is best left to kids. Plus, the narrow dimensions make the second row better suited to 2 adults rather than 3.
I second that. Also, the 2nd row seats are rather low and therefore your knees are higher than your hip when you sit - which is not very comfortable for long runs.

In your case, this shouldnt be a worry as Adam and Ismail would be quite happy on the 2nd row. You may have issues when you switch to your 'transporter' role, though.
Old 2nd November 2008, 00:29   #8
BHPian

What happened here ? shelved the plans for a the Pajero ?
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:22   #9
BANNED

The plans weren't shelved. I just got busy with my normal travelling and couldn't pay much attention to the used car's section in the classifieds nor in the car markets.
It is still under consideration and some very friendly brokers are in the watchout with my demands.
I had seen one good piece of a vehicle for 14lacs. Well maintained and most time spent at the porch rather than on road. But my budget is way below that. Two older versions (the imported ones) were shown to me as well. One is damn cheap at 7lacs and has got all the ICE which is named Pioneer. But unfortunately, it's rusted, rattling like hell, engine crying out for a replacement type. It's a PY registered one, dark green color. Had to say good bye after the TD.

And now that I'll be spending more time out of the country from december onwards, I think I can search in leisure and no need to hurry. Maybe the Qualis will coexist with the big one too.

@Muneemmk, got anything for me?
Old 2nd November 2008, 01:41   #10
BHPian

can check with the local car brokers whom i have befriended due to my profession, and the 2nd car market is totally in shambles as every one is broke and banks aren't releasing funds even for new cars.
Old 7th February 2009, 11:12   #11

Folks, come to Chennai and I can get one for probably less than 12 Lacs
Old 7th February 2009, 20:26   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomwils View Post
Folks, come to Chennai and I can get one for probably less than 12 Lacs
Hi,

Do you know of any good second hand Pajero's for sale in Chennai?

The chap who posted on the team-bhp classifieds has not given a contact number and doesn't respond to emails. I think he is trying to just cross sell the classifieds site that he has posted on, carshi5 or something like that.

Mods may want to delete that advert.
Old 7th February 2009, 20:40   #13
BANNED

I've decided to drop this plan after some hard thinking and few boxes of cash in front.

Pajero is out for now!
Another Japanese seems to be in the sighting. A big one that too!
Old 7th February 2009, 20:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

A few boxes? From where & how? In this era of slowdown you get an upward look, Zaki?

The big Jap you talking about seems to be a LC to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I've decided to drop this plan after some hard thinking and few boxes of cash in front.

Pajero is out for now!
Another Japanese seems to be in the sighting. A big one that too!
Old 7th February 2009, 21:07   #15
BHPian

So can the guessing games start ? you being a Toyota fan, i guess it's a LC Prado Diesel.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks