Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 14:14   #1
BHPian

Need help in decision making

Hi folks,

After a long time, I am bit by the 4*4 bug again and would like to purchase a used Gypsy.

I saw one in Pune. The details are as below:
1) 1994, MG410W, white color
2) AC, MP3 player
3) alloy mag wheels (huge, fat tires, Bridgestone)
4) 8 halogen lamps
5) side hull bars
6) clutch/accelerator pedals were steel (niken)
7) leather seats (the owner says he got them from another car, so they are not the original Gypsy seats)
8) Engine was a little dirty under the hood, but there were no leaks
9) battery is new
10) there is a spare engine with this Gypsy!
11) The 4WD is functional, the control is inside the Gypsy, next to the gear shift.

The curent owner is a nice gentlemen, he is the 3rd owner, he wants to see bcoz he has parking problems in his building. It has about 90,000 km on it.

I am planning to take a mechanic from a Maruti dealership to scope out the engine, rust problems, etc.

The owner is asking 2.2L, but he is willing to negotiate a little.

What should be a good price for this car, assuming the mechanic says that there are no major problems with it?
Any other concerns I should have in buying a 14 year old Gypsy?

The Gypsy is in Pune. So, if there are any local Team-BHPians who can help me in scoping out the car, please send me a private message.

Thanks a ton in advance,
burnout_boy
Old 26th September 2008, 15:43   #2

suggest you to check with registration agent, Since its 14 years old wine, it will be definitely a E-I or earlier version, will you be able to get it re registered in E - III city. I might be wrong but do check and 2.2 is little bit on the higher side.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

14 year old car and 2.2 lakhs. Seems to much to ask for.
I guess the max should be around 1.5 - 1.6 lakh ( not too sure about that too)
Old 26th September 2008, 19:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@burnout_boy:

It depends on what you want the gypsy for. If you want it primarily off-roading, then drop the idea mate. The 1.0 L Gypsy engine does not cut it. I have seen several of these with my friends here in off-roading and it does suffer from lack of power/torque big time.

For off-roading, take your time to search and go for minimum 1.3L carb (if not MPFI)

Even apart from that, 2.2L is way toooooooo much for this Gypsy. Having said that, it's a sellers market and it seems that there are more buyers then sellers for Gypsy.

Instead of taking a mechanic to see the gypsy, I would suggest that you drive the gypsy to a MASS and there you could even have it hoisted up to get it inspected in detail.

PS: Leather seats, mp3 player 8 halogen lamps, steel pedals, etc are just 'nice to have goodies' for an off-roading 4x4 and should not influence your decision to decide for this Gypsy.

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th September 2008 at 19:01.
Old 27th September 2008, 07:55   #5
BHPian

khan_sultan: The need is primarily on road (well, if you ask my wife, there is no need :( ) i will drive it to work for most week days about 10 kms each way. Might take the family out of town to nearby places like once a week. I dont intend to do any off-roading.

The owner is quite willing to let me take the car to a MASS (or anywhere) to get it hoisted up to inspect the undersides, etc.

what would be a sweetspot for the price? i am thinking 1.4L, tops....

android: thanks for the tip, i will check with an agent.

Most Viewed