Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2008, 20:23   #1
BHPian

Help needed in buying a second-hand car

Looking for advise from owners of Safari, Octavia and Innova on VFM and maintenance issues.

Hi everyone. Have been frequenting this site frm a long time. This is a gr8 place for quality information - if one has the patience.

The time has come for me to buy a car and that's the reason for this post. I have read through many articles but still confused though I have a few clear points of what I want - good FE, low maintenance, cheap-to-reasonably priced spares, good network of workshops across the country, 5-7 seater, etc. I have a budget of 5-6lacs (can go up if the car is good). I am a family of 5. Love to go cross country. (dream is to do stretch's like the leh ladakh in my lifetime).

Keeping these in mind I have narrowed my seacrh to 3 cars - Safari, Octavia and Innova. pl dont laugh at my selection.

I have been driving a Indica V2 for the past 4+yrs and have clocked 96000 on it, point is its almost no maintenance. Safari has always been that emotional thing - which cant be explained - and was wondering if its a reasonsable car on maintenence and FE (all my mechanics have advised me against this car sighting many reasons). Seen a Red 8/06 3.0 DICOR 4X4 EX with 64k on the odo for 6.75lac

Ocatvia, from this site as well as from friends - great car and very good VFM, but can a second hand purchase be considered - keeping in view its expensive spares. Seen a 18 month old Black Rider with 7000 on odo. Rate expected.

Innova is the most functional of these but the lenght of the car scares me. Innovas usally have the taxi image and I wonder if I will get a car thats not tampered with on the odo. Still no clarity on maintencence.

Shall be thrilled if owners of the above mentioned cars take some time to enlighten me. Sorry if there is already a similar thread, not searched throughly, if there is can someone pass me the link.

Thanks.

btw have already downloaded articles by GTO, F50 and Adya33 on Used Cars. thanks a lot guys for the valuable info.

I am not looking for cars older than 2+yrs. Will prob keep this for 3 yrs.

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

This topic has been moved to the appropriate section.

We thank you for your thread, and would appreciate you taking the effort to post in the correct section.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th October 2008 at 21:09. Reason: SMS and wrong sub forum
Old 5th October 2008, 21:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suggest Innova V spec. buy it from trusted source even if you pay 50,000/- extra make sure its in good condition by visiting service centre check vehicle's history.

Ravi.
Old 5th October 2008, 21:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

As you are already tasting tata service and niggling problem i don't think maintaince/running a safari will bother you too much. However, i would suggest to look out for, though very low availability, 2.2 Dicor one.

Skoda... Please dont look at. Apart from high spares cost they suffer from egoist and rudent service staff horrer stories. Though i do not want to under-estimate your research but still i would suggest you to look at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-delhi-2.html

Innova do suffer from taxi syndrome but still it is some thing one can bet upon blind eyed. Try to pickup Innova "V" Model

Best of luck with your decision !!
Old 6th October 2008, 12:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Of the 3 innova suits your requirements the best. Once you drive it you really get used to the dimensions in no time.
Safari (we had a tcic) wont be as reliable as the innova. God help you if something goes wrong with your skoda, spare part prices are similar to those of a 20lac + car.
Old 6th October 2008, 23:55   #5
BHPian

Octy Out - Elantra In

Thanks a lot Ravi, Ashish & Cooldude for ur time. A 2.2 Safari will not be in my range I feel. The Octy is checked out of the list I guess. service is very bad in Hyderabad but an Elantra Cdri Leather is in the list now. going to see the car tomorrow. its a Nov06 done about 50000kms. read reviews on this site. the feeling is its not too bad and just might suit my requirements. Thanks again.

Most Viewed