Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2009, 18:05   #61
BANNED

Hey maheep. Nice wheels. Keep it nice and shiny.
Old 18th March 2009, 18:27   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
the offsets are a pain be very carefull in the rainy season you could have scratches all over your window glass before you even realise it...
I know dude but we dont get too much of a monsoon season here up north, so rains not a big issue here. The alloys i chose were not exactly too much offset, there were other options in offsets, which were much more protruded out, which i deliberately did not choose for the same reason (in addition to being classified as loafer too), these were a medium types, not too much out, nor completly straight.
Old 18th March 2009, 21:12   #63
BHPian

For some (strange) reason, the front axle width is more than the rear one in a Bolero.
But it sure looks good anyway.

Old 18th March 2009, 21:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

hey maheep, does your tyre hit the underbody?
Old 19th March 2009, 06:35   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
hey maheep, does your tyre hit the underbody?
No way, that might have happened had i chosen too much over size, but mine are company tyres only, 215/75 R13. Initially too when i had fitted 255/60 R13, even those never touched the under body. You have to choose the combination carefully, if u chose to go for a wider tyre, then the diametre should come down, if both keep going up then it will touch the body when the vehicle is loaded or when it takes a jump. I've seen guys with 295/55 R13, even they dont have a problem, they however might when they turn the steering to extremes, otherwise in normal city driving they dont really seem to have a problem, unless ofcourse they dint have to do some modifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Hey maheep. Nice wheels. Keep it nice and shiny.

Thank you sir, its pictured here when it was almost brand new, but even now its well cared for.
Old 19th March 2009, 06:54   #66
BHPian

There's another thing that i wanted to discuss with you people who own/love this jeep, its shaft issue, i've discussed it on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ra-bolero.html
Old 19th March 2009, 07:10   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Shankar,

Can you see this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-di-turbo.html and tell me what you think? Can others who have driven/owned these cars write in as well? Ofcourse it makes no sense for my purchasing decision because the XD3P is no longer available.

One more difference which I noticed between the two is that the XD3P has to be pre-heated before starting whereas the DI is an immediate start. Cant figure out any more else...
Yes its a direct injection so no glow plugs and immediate start even in cold winter. NO glow plugs burning out issues. Another difference is the mileage, DI gives around 13 in city n say 15 approx. on highway, which might ary from each individual vehicle. Another difference is absence of timing belt in DI, which is always a matte of concern in the engines having them as its should be replaced every 50,000kms or so. When i had an IDI engine i used to change it every 30,000kms only, for the fear of it breaking and ruining the engine. In DI theres no belt, no chain. Basically this DI engine, if i'm right has been had from the old International Tractor which was initially imported from england, and then somehow Mahindra's bought the technology or something. So this engine has been doing duty in tractors too, no doubt it noisy, but its a puller and a hauler, a proper workhorse. Frankly i dont really mind it being a bit noisy, had it been in a car, then it would have sounded like s***t but here.....its a jeep guys, at the end of the day its a jeep, and more than cosmetic things such as smoothness, it shuld be able to perform what is was manufactured for, and that it does, without grudging n without complaiing.
Old 19th March 2009, 09:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Maheep nice one you got there
ever thought of changing those mudflaps to broader one's?
i have seen many bolero's around ludhiana chandigarh having these,especially those with fat tyres and offset rims.

i own a 2001 Bolero GLX,which may soon be replaced by a white SLX
Old 19th March 2009, 09:41   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Maheep nice one you got there
ever thought of changing those mudflaps to broader one's?
i have seen many bolero's around ludhiana chandigarh having these,especially those with fat tyres and offset rims.

i own a 2001 Bolero GLX,which may soon be replaced by a white SLX
Hi Akshay, yeah i know what your talking about, i've seen those. But mine are not too wide tyres, those i have seen on vehicles with extra wide tyres/offset alloys. Never thought about changing my mudflaps, like these original ones good enough, had i been in my early 20's i might have and God knows what else, but now smart & decent is the key.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:06   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

I've been told the Bolero VLX is more fun, but its nowhere as go-anywhere as the old DI engines (built to last, can take all the gunk that is sold in India as diesel) and servicable anywhere. Atleast that's what ALL taxi operators universally claim. I've seen more M2DIs in the hills than anywhere else.
Damn right !! I'll back your statement 100% pal, the CRDE's got to prove it worth still.... the DI is a gem.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:09   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
I see a Scorpio M2DI here and there. Can someone explain me what is the difference between the M2DI and CRDe 2.6? Do they have different engine?

Is Mahindra still selling the M2DI?
Yup! M2DI has the same Di engine of the Bolero, but the power has been hiked for the needs of the scorpio, dont know how well it performs in Scorpio, it was never a high performance engine but how well it does its duty in Scorpio is something that no1 till now has commented or maybe tried.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:32   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The only thing I keep hearing from people about whats bad about the DI Turbo bolero is the fact that the engine is crude and it makes noise. I can always pad the doors and everything inside the car to eliminate noise from sinking into the cabin.

I have not heard any complaints about breakdowns, reliability issues, pulling issues on the hills. Ofcourse with a 63 bhp engine its not going to do 0-60 times.

I am sorry if I am going on and on about this...but the difference is not just a couple of grands. Its almost 3 lakhs between the base bolero and the base scorpio! That has to be justified.

@redliner: yes im inclined to wonder too about how Bolero VLX handles the extra power though they've boosted the braking capabilities etc. But it is a tough vehicle and should be able to.

I doubt your analogy. I recently read on TBHP a member toppling his Bolero when he tried to skirt an accident. And another member who almost ended up careening over a bridge because he entered the turn too late and took the outside. Now all this on a sub 75 bhp vehicle. So unless M&M have changed the vehicle aerodynamically to accomodate the new engine (which I dont think has happened), the CRDE Bolero is an accident waiting to happen at the hands of a driver. Add to that the CRDE is definitely a guzzler...I think re-sale values of this vehicle as compared to the DI turbo will end up suffering.
You got it all right Red Liner, forget about the resale, they are not even being able to sell it!! Till date i've only seen 4-5 CRDE STORM's. Yup they would have to completely re-engineer the car if they want it to be a safe vehicle after putting in the CRDE motor, not just "sprucing up the brakes". The DI has an unbeatable record, and an impressive history, no breakups, not a big fuel guzzler, serviceable anywhere and by any roadside mechanic, and frankly when you close the doors, yo dont hear much of the engine music inside, the inside cabin is pretty well insulated, and what happens outside why care for, that, you should look at the whole package, not just 1factor!
Old 19th March 2009, 16:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijuko View Post
Can some one please explain how is the power steering of Bolero SLE like the steering sensitivity and the response etc...
Not as bad as every1 says, try it yourself, quite satisfactory definitely not bad, even on highway found it to be ok
Old 19th March 2009, 16:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
actually scorpio lx is about 9.3 L
bolero vlx is about 7.9 L
------
However, one ought not to try doing super speeds on this vehicle because it is just not built for such things.
still -my own sense is that I would rather save and buy an LX Scorpio rather than the VLX Bolero.
Even scorpio cannot be driven like a sports car, as per say, its an suv and suv's are meant to be driven carefully since they can topple easily, and its not a vehicle that kills a man, its a foolish driver who gets anyone killed, try ramming any vehicle at a speed over 100KMPH and what are the odds of the people surviving? I think same as in a Bolero/scorpio/Mercedes !
Old 19th March 2009, 16:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Do a simple test. Dont turn on the vehicle and try to turn the steering. That is the maximum effort required without PS. Now as speed increases effort will decrease proportinally.

The Bolero PS is not a variable type, i.e. it provides the same assist at all speeds.

Dangerous if you dont know how to handle it at high speeds.
Not really i must admit, steerings assisted with PS are more hard when engine is not running, or engine is shut. Try turning the vehicle with PS fitted when its shut n try turning a vehicle without PS, the non PS would be easier n softer to turn than the 1 with PS.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks