Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2009, 05:56   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

ok here goes;

@redliner: yes im inclined to wonder too about how Bolero VLX handles the extra power though they've boosted the braking capabilities etc. But it is a tough vehicle and should be able to.
M2Di is meant for rural , B Town markets primarily aimed at Taxi segment.
B1560 Alloys are tough, as all alloys are. Ive driven my Bolero hard on bad roads in the hills - no dents and scratches as you can see. Alloys are always tougher than steel wheels - also lighter because they are made of lighter, stronger metal. Dont worry about denting them - unless you intend banging them onto concrete pavements every now and then! I had bought these for about 18000/- odd in 2005.
XD3PU engine is still available but only on Bolero SLX 4WD - you have to order this vehicle and pay the advance.Delivery normally takes about 3 months.
All these Mahindra Diesel engines need to be pre-heated for a few seconds - usually indicated by a yellow electronic indicator on the instrument panel as soon as you switch on. The yellow indicator goes off within a few seconds and you can start up.
IMO you should certainly consider the LX Scorpio 2.6Crde if you can manage the money.

@spitfire: Your choice really.Bolero GLX is good for 200000 Kms atleast.No problems generally. But vehicles usually start getting into more frequent maintenance issues after 5 years. If you're willing to live with that, it should be ok. Makes good sense to hang on to the GLX. However, I have found that the Scorpio is miles above in terms of comfort and of course driving pleasure and the turbo Crde engine is far more responsive than the XD3PU. When you have better tech available at reasonable prices, it is worth upgrading IMO, which is why I did. I also vastly prefer the shorter gearing of the Scorpio - much more sporty and certainly slots in much more easily than the Bolero.

@sijuko: Power Steering is essential. You will not enjoy the non power steering versions and they will be a nightmare in the city.

@jgsolo27: Water splashing is a generic problem with these vehicles especially if you go into a large puddle without slackening speed water will come onto your windscreen, momentarily blinding you so you have to have your wipers full on before going in. As per my experience there isnt much one can do to prevent this unless you buy some mud flaps and mount them in front of the front wheels - that will make your vehicle look like it is wearing skirts when viewed from the front.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th January 2009 at 05:57.
Old 28th January 2009, 11:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Scorpio LX 2.6 CRDE on road price in Bangalore: 9.5L
Bolero CRDE: 7.7L
Bolero SLE DI Turbo: 6.5L

So basically, even the difference between the Bolero CRDE and the Scorpio LX is high. Almost 1.8L!!! The only thing I keep hearing from people about whats bad about the DI Turbo bolero is the fact that the engine is crude and it makes noise. I can always pad the doors and everything inside the car to eliminate noise from sinking into the cabin.

I have not heard any complaints about breakdowns, reliability issues, pulling issues on the hills. Ofcourse with a 63 bhp engine its not going to do 0-60 times.

I am sorry if I am going on and on about this...but the difference is not just a couple of grands. Its almost 3 lakhs between the base bolero and the base scorpio! That has to be justified.

My question now is: If you are prepared to live with a tractor sound on the outside of the car for the next 4 years, is the current price of the Bolero DI Turbo SLE good value for money for a car that just keeps chugging along everywhere?

@redliner: yes im inclined to wonder too about how Bolero VLX handles the extra power though they've boosted the braking capabilities etc. But it is a tough vehicle and should be able to.

I doubt your analogy. I recently read on TBHP a member toppling his Bolero when he tried to skirt an accident. And another member who almost ended up careening over a bridge because he entered the turn too late and took the outside. Now all this on a sub 75 bhp vehicle. So unless M&M have changed the vehicle aerodynamically to accomodate the new engine (which I dont think has happened), the CRDE Bolero is an accident waiting to happen at the hands of a driver. Add to that the CRDE is definitely a guzzler...I think re-sale values of this vehicle as compared to the DI turbo will end up suffering.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th January 2009 at 11:43. Reason: Had a revelation!
Old 28th January 2009, 16:44   #33
BHPian

New Bolero power steering

Can some one please explain how is the power steering of Bolero SLE like the steering sensitivity and the response etc...
Old 28th January 2009, 20:36   #34
BHPian

@ sijuko - Bolero PS is too light and devoid of any feedback whatsoever; you get the same turn @ 5 or @ 100 kph; great for parking and darting in city traffic; quite undesirable ( and scary) at high speeds.

PS: You get used to it; just be a little careful in your first highway ride!
Old 29th January 2009, 07:29   #35
BANNED

actually scorpio lx is about 9.3 L
bolero vlx is about 7.9 L

some discounts no doubt can be negotiated though.
yes when viewed in perspective the diff is high between vlx bolero and lx scorpio but the scorpio is certainly better engineered.
bolero is indestructible but you're right, one cannot try driving it like one would, a sports car. Its a boxy beast in the end. and one is not supposed to try high speed chicaning and slaloming in this type of vehicle anyway.
it is also highly reliable, tough and can be stuck together with rubber bands, chewing gum and tape anywhere by pretty much any old mechanic. it does perform decently in the hills etc.
re-sale values will certainly suffer a bit compared with the old Xd3PU and DI engines. But this crde beast is definitely more refined than either of those two. having said that the most Fuel efficient engine of these is the DI turbo. its power steering does not give any feedback on highways but it is smooth and easy to handle. However, one ought not to try doing super speeds on this vehicle because it is just not built for such things.
still -my own sense is that I would rather save and buy an LX Scorpio rather than the VLX Bolero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Scorpio LX 2.6 CRDE on road price in Bangalore: 9.5L
Bolero CRDE: 7.7L
Bolero SLE DI Turbo: 6.5L

So basically, even the difference between the Bolero CRDE and the Scorpio LX is high. Almost 1.8L!!! The only thing I keep hearing from people about whats bad about the DI Turbo bolero is the fact that the engine is crude and it makes noise. I can always pad the doors and everything inside the car to eliminate noise from sinking into the cabin.

I have not heard any complaints about breakdowns, reliability issues, pulling issues on the hills. Ofcourse with a 63 bhp engine its not going to do 0-60 times.

I am sorry if I am going on and on about this...but the difference is not just a couple of grands. Its almost 3 lakhs between the base bolero and the base scorpio! That has to be justified.

My question now is: If you are prepared to live with a tractor sound on the outside of the car for the next 4 years, is the current price of the Bolero DI Turbo SLE good value for money for a car that just keeps chugging along everywhere?

I doubt your analogy. I recently read on TBHP a member toppling his Bolero when he tried to skirt an accident. And another member who almost ended up careening over a bridge because he entered the turn too late and took the outside. Now all this on a sub 75 bhp vehicle. So unless M&M have changed the vehicle aerodynamically to accomodate the new engine (which I dont think has happened), the CRDE Bolero is an accident waiting to happen at the hands of a driver. Add to that the CRDE is definitely a guzzler...I think re-sale values of this vehicle as compared to the DI turbo will end up suffering.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 29th January 2009 at 07:31.
Old 29th January 2009, 10:30   #36
BHPian

Bolero power steering

Hey ,
Since the feedback for bolero power steering is not that good,how about the one which does not have PS.Can some one share your thoughts like ..Is it so tough to drive with out the PS and so...
Old 29th January 2009, 15:52   #37
BANNED

you will find it tough to drive without PS. In City as well as on Highways. The PS saves your arms a lot of tiredness and stress. Especially while turning and parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijuko View Post
Hey ,
Since the feedback for bolero power steering is not that good,how about the one which does not have PS.Can some one share your thoughts like ..Is it so tough to drive with out the PS and so...
Old 29th January 2009, 16:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Hey ,
Bolero without PS is useful if you need a free workout for the upperbody!
Old 29th January 2009, 17:01   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Is it so tough to drive with out the PS and so...
Do a simple test. Dont turn on the vehicle and try to turn the steering. That is the maximum effort required without PS. Now as speed increases effort will decrease proportinally.

The Bolero PS is not a variable type, i.e. it provides the same assist at all speeds.

Dangerous if you dont know how to handle it at high speeds.
Old 29th January 2009, 21:45   #40
BHPian

Power Steering

Quote:
Hey ,
As josepeter rightly said "You get used to it; just be a little careful in your first highway ride!" and "Bolero without PS is useful if you need a free workout for the upperbody!"
No one in this forum would recommend one without a PS. Don't go for it you're sure to regret!
Old 1st February 2009, 13:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I have another query about the DI Turbo engine. I would like to know the load -pulling capacity of this engine in actual Kilogram/ton terms. I understand that this is the same engine that does duty on the Bolero camper which is a typical pick-up. So that should give me an idea. However, I am looking for a more scientific answer to this question.

Reason? I am wondering if I can put a trailer at the back and load my Willy's in (it has a 540 engine and so is heavier than a regular petrol) and pull it to all the far-away OTR spots - which have become the flavour of the season. Driving that jeep for over 500 kms is a very painful affair (realised after trips to Ooty + Coorg). I think the CRDE is a cruiser not a puller. But I am keen on the DI Turbo.
Old 22nd February 2009, 16:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And my honest suggestion ref alloys is that you buy the B1560 Aura 5 Spoke Alloy Wheels in "hyper silver finish"- they are superb - I have used them with great enjoyment on my old Bolero Sportz so I speak from personal experience. Plus, Aura comes with a One Year company backed warrantly and being from the Hindalco Company (AV Birla group), are highly trustworthy when compared with others.
Yes Shankar, I did go for Aura B1560 5 Spoke Alloys and also swapped the stock tires to Michelin 215/75 R15 Latitude Cross Tubeless. I have attaching some photos.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0022-m.jpg  

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0025.jpg  

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0026-m.jpg  

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0027-m.jpg  

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0029-m.jpg  

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0021-m.jpg  

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?-img_0024-m.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st November 2010 at 17:35.
Old 22nd February 2009, 18:16   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, so you got the storm! Congratulations bro. Pondicherry pricing is certainly nice on the wallet.
Old 22nd February 2009, 19:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey, so you got the storm! Congratulations bro. Pondicherry pricing is certainly nice on the wallet.
Thanks bro.
It's true! Pondy Pricing is certainly nice on the wallet. Ex-showroom price is same as Chennai's, It's because of the present Registration and Life Tax rates here.
Moreover, it is not Storm, it is Special Edition released during the end of 2008. This one was the last available in Pondy and also BS III (you know, only BS IIs are sold in PondY) The OTR cost was Rs.6,22,470, around 15K more than BS II. Bolero Storm is coming here shortly and RTO approval is yet to be obtained for the same!
Old 23rd February 2009, 11:13   #45
BHPian

@jgsolo, your ride looks good. Nice color.
Nice choice of alloys too (i have the same ones. )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed