Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2008, 19:25   #1
BHPian

Query(s) regarding Mahindra Bolero?

Hey fellow BHPians, I am planning to buy the newly launched Bolero VLX (CRDe) and needed to check couple of things with the gurus before doing so. Firstly let me specify my perspective:
1. I need a vehicle which is capable of doing the Lahaul-Spiti, Leh-Ladakh circuits comfortably.
2. Also it should be comfortable to drive in the city.

Now does the Bolero suffice both the above requirements?

I am happy with the looks (interior/exterior) of the beast.

Just another thing, if any fellow BHPian is familiar with any catch in the car, please let me know.

Cheers & Happy Revving!
Old 17th October 2008, 11:19   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Between the Bolero & the Scorpio, you have the ideal vehicle for the job. Check out Sideways awesome report on the Raid De Himalaya in a Scorpio.
Old 17th October 2008, 11:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Scorpio VLS anyday. The 2.2 is an awesome vehicle, and if you have the pocket serves you well.

I've been told the Bolero VLX is more fun, but its nowhere as go-anywhere as the old DI engines (built to last, can take all the gunk that is sold in India as diesel) and servicable anywhere. Atleast that's what ALL taxi operators universally claim. I've seen more M2DIs in the hills than anywhere else.
Old 17th October 2008, 17:42   #4
BHPian

I see a Scorpio M2DI here and there. Can someone explain me what is the difference between the M2DI and CRDe 2.6? Do they have different engine?

Is Mahindra still selling the M2DI?
Old 17th October 2008, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

M2DI has bolero's DI engine, no commonrail jingbang. simple engine, same bulletproof reliability with anything
Old 21st October 2008, 13:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
M2DI has bolero's DI engine, no commonrail jingbang. simple engine, same bulletproof reliability with anything
I went to Mahindra Website to see Features of M2DI, but I couldn't find M2DI, 2.6 CRDe. Has Mahindra discontinued scorpio with 2.6 CRDe or M2DI?

If no, please suggest a link where one can find Options/Features available under M2DI, 2.6 CRDe?
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:28   #7
BHPian

Scorpio does not comes with DI engines now. All are shifted to CRDe
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Why don'tcha call up a dealer?

I've seen new M2di of late (not in delhi, but in hills) so I can attest its being sold, even if old stock.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you to stretch your budget a bit a bit and go in for Scorpio Lx or Safari Lx, the reason is Bolero though a good value for money vehicle is not worth this much and the quality is not even close to Scorpio.

The bolero might have got a Crde engine but that cannot hide the shortcomings-
1.Steering is lifeless,feels like a cheap aftermarket dabwali fitment.
2.Ergonomics are bad(My thumb was stuck between gearlever and handbrake,it hurt).
3.No space(its impossible to squeeze a adult on the middle row if a six footer is on a front seat)and poor seats.
4.Handling is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backrub View Post
Scorpio does not comes with DI engines now. All are shifted to CRDe
M2Di version is still available with MDi engines for rural markets.
Old 30th November 2008, 00:23   #10
BHPian

Both scorpio and bolero can do leh-ladakh, lahul-spiti. Heck even a 800 can do it.
It's not about whether it does it or not but how it does it.

In a bolero you can do this and much more without getting worried about anything breaking, and even if something breaks it is dirt cheap to replace.

A Scorpio will also do it but it will break something and it will be expensive to repair/replace.

GO with bolero but stick with the DI motor, it is bulletproof and can be repaired and service anywhere in India. FOr 6 lakh on road you will get it with aircon and power steering. The crde motor is though more powerful but is yet to prove it self. Moreover in a bolero you don't need anymore power than it currently has. Any thing above 100 and you are pushing your luck.

cheers
vishwas
Old 10th December 2008, 21:28   #11
BHPian

You might wanna consider the Sumo Grande. Sumo is the preferred taxi by far on the Ladakh trail. The Grande adds a fair bit of city friendliness on what is essentially a pared down truck.

The Bolero is bullet proof as well, plus has some character left from the legendary Jeep. I wouldn't confuse with any of the more expensive options, simply because both these vehicles have all the capability to take you to the middle of nowhere and get patched up with relatively cheap spares
Old 19th December 2008, 01:33   #12
BHPian

Note from Support: Please stop spamming the board by posting your query in multiple threads. Additional posts have been deleted.

Two Questions
1 - How is the Mahindra Bolero on Service network and Maintenance?

2- Does any body have any info if the introduction of XYLO will trigger discontinuity for the Bolero?
Old 21st January 2009, 16:19   #13
BHPian

Hi Guys! I am a Newbie and am planning to go in for the New Special Edition Bolero launched during Sep. 2008. The Bolero Special Edition is available in two exclusive, exquisite colours: Mist Silver and Golden Sahara Beige. It has all the features of SLX in addition subtle body graphics on the sides and bonnet, an aluminium mesh in the front grill which gives the SUV a unique and rugged appeal and European Leather Upholstery as earlier. I also wish for a set of Alloys, either from the dealer or outside.
The On Road price in Pondicherry is as follows

SLX - Rs. 632038 and Sp. Edition - Rs. 632693

Request your valuable comments!!!!
Old 22nd January 2009, 09:08   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

scorp m2DI is a scorp LX variant with the Bolero DI engine plonked in it. It also doesnt have roof rails (i think) and it certainly doesnt have that silly cosmetic faux air scoop on the bonnet.

it is meant for the rural/ B -C Cities and Taxi operator segment and is significantly cheaper than the Scorp LX even or Bolero VLX.

Yes Mahindra still sells M2DI Scorpios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop View Post
I see a Scorpio M2DI here and there. Can someone explain me what is the difference between the M2DI and CRDe 2.6? Do they have different engine?

Is Mahindra still selling the M2DI?
pal

go for the scorp LX version - you wont regret it

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Hi Guys! I am a Newbie and am planning to go in for the New Special Edition Bolero launched during Sep. 2008. The Bolero Special Edition is available in two exclusive, exquisite colours: Mist Silver and Golden Sahara Beige. It has all the features of SLX in addition subtle body graphics on the sides and bonnet, an aluminium mesh in the front grill which gives the SUV a unique and rugged appeal and European Leather Upholstery as earlier. I also wish for a set of Alloys, either from the dealer or outside.
The On Road price in Pondicherry is as follows

SLX - Rs. 632038 and Sp. Edition - Rs. 632693

Request your valuable comments!!!!

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2012 at 15:53. Reason: Merging both your posts.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
pal

go for the scorp LX version - you wont regret it

cheers
Thanks Shankar. The Special Editions are all sold out and are no more available. Now I have to go in for SLX or as suggested Scorp LX. Again there is a problem, my budget is 6.5L
Closed Thread

Most Viewed