Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

Thank you guys, I stand corrected and enlightened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I thought Outlander has 4wd with locking option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Yes, it has and is a good option too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Yes outlander has 2h,4h and 4hlc with locked center differential and all wheel traction control.
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:50   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post

So lets discuss this, how is the interior comfort between Captiva vs. Pajero?
Both are good, comfortable and reasonably spaced. The Pajero edges out Captiva in space. Old school comfort vs New. If you prefer how a decade old vehicle drove, then Pajero it is. If you prefer the newer kind of ride, then Captiva.
Quote:
If you were in my situation and had to pick between two what would your immediate thought be?
Pajero!
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:52   #33
BHPian

My choice is the Pajero SFX.Check out this thread Review of 20 odd SUV/MUV for sale under 30 lakhs
Old 23rd October 2008, 22:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

I would have preferred if Terracan was on sale today.
Old 23rd October 2008, 23:28   #35
BANNED

For your kind of choices.

None of the mentioned SUV's fit the bill.

Innova is just a boxy corolla- comfortable and fine

The Pajero fits better and so does the new 2.2 Safari Dicor.

No other SUV would do.
Old 23rd October 2008, 23:46   #36
Team-BHP Support

The Pajero for its outright longevity and reliability which i doubt any of its competitors can touch, but the dated looks of the Indian version are a huge let down.
After having owned a Ford, i would let the Endy pass, especially after all those cramped and uncomfortable seat talk.
You already have a Safari, and a Scorpio, and are in the market for something upmarket, modern and with bells and whistles that only a much newer vehicle could offer, the Captiva seems to fit the bill perfectly.
The Pajero is nothing more than an enhanced Scorpio, it lacks the entire upmarket feel you desire to extract from your next vehicle.
If the GM aftersales around the place you reside is satisfactory, the Captiva is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Those who are recomending Innova, what do you think about it's last row? I find there is no room to keep the leg for adults, both in terms of height and depth. I think it is fine only for kids.
Well, i have ditched the first row passenger seat a couple of times for the third row to watch a movie while my folks would occupy the second row. I am failr big, maybe not tall though, but the third row in the Innova is by far the most 'roomy' when compared to other vehicles available in India.
Oh and the second row is a total 'spoil yourself' chapter!!

manson.

Last edited by manson : 23rd October 2008 at 23:49.
Old 24th October 2008, 00:37   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

The Pajero is nothing more than an enhanced Scorpio,
Never go for the looks and paper specs alone,Testdrive the pajero and you will never say that again.It might lack a modern powerplant but the engine is refined enough to compete with most common rails,the ride and handling(bad road) balance is better than any vehicle at this price and it can be used in all time four wheel drive also.

It will outlast any of the competitors,if you dont beleive me go and check 80's pajeros in used car markets.
Old 24th October 2008, 01:49   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Never go for the looks and paper specs alone,Testdrive the pajero and you will never say that again.It might lack a modern powerplant but the engine is refined enough to compete with most common rails,the ride and handling(bad road) balance is better than any vehicle at this price and it can be used in all time four wheel drive also.

It will outlast any of the competitors,if you dont beleive me go and check 80's pajeros in used car markets.
I have driven the 2800 exceed spec Pajero (one gen ahead of the India Pajero) with the auto tranny for a considerable time. I have in the past even had my hands full on the two door manual 2600 version.
On the backfire though, have you extensively test driven the Scorpio?

The Pajero has an edge in most areas over the Scorpio, but the basics of both the vehicles are quite similar, besides the lofty handling of the Scorpio.
The Pajero will more or less feel like an extension of the Scorpio, and it looks and feels quite drab and has dated interors.
Our man here is looking for something upmarket with snob value, which the Pajero being sold in India fails to deliver by a long shot.

If he did not have the Scorpio & Safari, and instead owned say an Innova and another sedan, the Pajero would have made a perfect buy to cope with the rugged terrain.

manson.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:53   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Pajero is nothing more than an enhanced Scorpio,
Manson, that is really optimistic, that's all I can say
Old 24th October 2008, 11:34   #40
BHPian

I'd suggest going in for the vehicle whose service center is closer to your whereabouts. Coz if any of these both go down (they shouldn't actualy ... pajero or captiva) you'd have a real big problem getting them working again if the service isn't close by.

And TD both veh's with all your family members. Try going for an extensive TD and then choose.
Old 26th October 2008, 13:04   #41
BHPian

Thank you all for your valuable advice!

I have studied all the responses and related links and information and have concluded the following;

Before I mention anything else, let me inform you that I have postponed my plans on buying any SUV and have instead placed an order for a new honda city (City S MT in silver) as I need a vehicle immediately and feel safe with this bet for now.

Now back to the SUV...

There is no clear all out winner in this category in terms of VFM for me at this point (one comes close... read on)

You'd think with the SUV choices available in the 40,000 USD or approx 20 Lakh INR range in most other countries, that there would also be choices in India that would offer you one that gives you a modern SUV with great looks, capable power/drive-train (4x4 specifically) and acceptable interior comfort -all in one. Unfortunately not. Every single SUV in this range in India requires a compromise in one area or another.

Captiva, while modern and offering certain new car must haves - dissapoints at being a front wheel drive only (at this time). Not that I can't survive without a 4x4 or AWD - I am sure having to pay 20 Lakh that I will apreciate 4x4 ability in India (especally around where I live). In the past I found myself having to avoid certain destination based on my vehicles which were prominently front wheelers and the Sumo while it was a rear wheeler as I now recall had to pulled out of a few situations as well. (My brother was quick to point out these situations and actually showed footage of one such - rather funny -incident which I will share with you via youtube sometime)

Since this will be a somewhat long term vehicle, the Endy loses not only for its "bumpy ride" but also for its subpar customer/vehicle service and higher maintenance costs according to a few people I know who have or do still own one.

CR-V, Outlander are both 5 seaters = FAIL (For me atleast)

Now enter the mighty Pajero. The tough one, it is the only one in this category that comes so close to being a winner in every criteria of mine. What else could I ask for? it fits the bill! (as some of you have put it) It has a well capable and proven powertrain, is known worldwide for its offroading capabilities, bulletproof reliability and ruggedness. It offers acceptable comfort so whats the problem. Well the major one is that it looks like it belongs back in the late 80's or maybe even early 90's. The engine, regardless of its many qualities, is anemic for the heavy beast. Especially when there are more modern and equally reliable engine options available in newer Pajeros.

I am going to wait for now, and see if anyone will bring something more up with the times and a better VFM than the Pajero. (maybe even a new pajero) I can wait until next September.

Otherwise if nothing changes - Pajero takes the win and I will happily bring one home come September 2009.

Meanwhile Honda City it is.
Old 26th October 2008, 19:52   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On the backfire though, have you extensively test driven the Scorpio?
I own a Scorpio VLX 2.2 mHawk and i have driven Pajero properly.
Old 26th October 2008, 20:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am going to wait for now, and see if anyone will bring something more up with the times and a better VFM than the Pajero. (maybe even a new pajero) I can wait until next September.

Otherwise if nothing changes - Pajero takes the win and I will happily bring one home come September 2009.
Welcome to the tribe of all those who are waiting for Fortuner. If autocar is to be believed, Toyota is planning to launch it in June 2009. Fortuner will fulfill all your requirements.
Old 27th October 2008, 16:07   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You'd think with the SUV choices available in the 40,000 USD or approx 20 Lakh INR range in most other countries, that there would also be choices in India that would offer you one that gives you a modern SUV with great looks, capable power/drive-train (4x4 specifically) and acceptable interior comfort -all in one. Unfortunately not. Every single SUV in this range in India requires a compromise in one area or another.
Where art thou, Fortuner? Has anyone at Toyota woken up already?
Old 28th October 2008, 18:50   #45
BHPian

I would go for the Endy Thunder+

I did a recent search for a friend of mine who wanted a SUV, we tried all possible ones available in India.

Just a few ones discussed here:
Captiva - Very bad sales/after sales, long waiting period, just an MUV (not SUV)
Pajero - Outdated, Lacks power, the engine is not that resposive though the interior comforts are good.
Montero - Pretty good but is it worth it for 40L?
Endy Thunder+ gave good power, good response, safety feel, rugged and can take you through.

My Bet hence would be an Endy Thunder+

Most Viewed