Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 13:23   #76
BHPian

I need to make this choice myself. The only diff is that my use is city and highway and maybe a little bit of off-roading for pleasure.

I have yet to determine the off-roading capabilities of the captiva awd. if it is any good, this is what I'd buy.

otherwise will choose between the vitara and the outlander, as these can be taken off-road. the endeavour is not on my list as I find it too 'bulky' and truck-like.

the pajero is out-dated in terms of looks. the engine is also the same old 2800cc turbo diesel. i'm guessing this model is at least 10 years old.
Old 6th February 2009, 21:57   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
My cousin is looking for an SUV within 15 to 20 lacs range.
Any diesel vehicles in this range???
You left out the Hyundai Tucson from your list. A competent soft-roader with a gem of a 2.0L diesel engine and 4WD backed up by good technology. It's AWD at lower speeds, and switches to 2WD above 40 km/h. Also probably the only soft-roader which offers a 4WD lock-in facility. Was supposed to be discontinued and replaced by the bigger Santa Fe, but plans postponed for @ 6 months by Co. Good VFM at 17.6L, and retains resale value well.
Old 6th February 2009, 22:14   #78
BHPian

Some help for you

Hi,

Pls see my post under this forum which may be of help.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ml#post1161211

cheers
Ram
Old 7th February 2009, 00:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Also probably the only soft-roader which offers a 4WD lock-in facility
Not sure what you meant by lock-in facility (sounds like a place where 4x4s are kept under lock and key) but both GV and Outlander have lockable differentials.
Old 7th February 2009, 11:18   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Not sure what you meant by lock-in facility (sounds like a place where 4x4s are kept under lock and key) but both GV and Outlander have lockable differentials.
There's a small switch to the right of the dashboard in the Tucson, which, when activated manually, lets you stay continuously in 4WD mode, and prevents the electronics from switching back to 2WD mode at its own will.
Old 7th February 2009, 11:50   #81
BANNED

Captiva

Just now I test drove the Captiva. A well mannered vehicle I should say...It has got everything right barring third row of seats. I think it cannot be called 7 seater because the space there is at a premium. The lack of thigh support on the third row makes travelling there pretty uncomfortable..The ride quality is good, has decent features...Also it doesnt have individual airvents for the third row which is a pity in a vehicle costing 20l on road !!!!!

Last edited by dilipkumar7278 : 7th February 2009 at 11:52. Reason: Addition of data
Old 7th May 2009, 18:03   #82
BHPian

endeavour 3.0 is THE best ! i have the 2.5 2X2 model but ive driven the 3.0 too.outlander looks like innova. if you want people to get scared when they look at your car, you need to take the ENDEAVOUR.

if you are buying the captiva,do get the horn changed.i hate the captiva horn .lol
Old 29th May 2009, 18:10   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas28 View Post
endeavour 3.0 is THE best ! i have the 2.5 2X2 model but ive driven the 3.0 too.outlander looks like innova. if you want people to get scared when they look at your car, you need to take the ENDEAVOUR.

if you are buying the captiva,do get the horn changed.i hate the captiva horn .lol
But I heard new Endeavor is on the way! Is that true?

I hope you may want to wait for Fortuner, it may come our next month! I am sure its worth a wait.

Last edited by agbenny : 29th May 2009 at 18:12.
Old 30th May 2009, 12:39   #84
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But I heard new Endeavor is on the way! Is that true?
Yup, facelift is on the way. Search the forum for pictures.
Old 15th June 2009, 22:29   #85

Hi,
What you are looking for is an off roader. I would sugest that you go for the Pajero. Though it looks outdated and cramped in comparison with the others, it is the only offroader in its price tag, plus the ride is better when compared to the others.

My second choice would be captiva. It's a fantastic SUV ( only 4WD), but the ride is stiff.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:56   #86
Senior - BHPian

they are differnt SUVs or 4x4S. So you need to choose either between Endeavour and Pajero or between CRV, Captiva and Outlander.

Pajero's too old... Endeavour is meant only and only for wide lanes and Jungle, CRV and Captiva lacks ground clearance and are meant only for cities.. not off-roader.. so its Outlander that can handle both rough roads and Tarmac, the car is the newest in the segment looks beautiful and has beautiful interiors!!!

Thats what Top Gear magazine says for Outlander and I agree
"Great steering, great ride, great handling and it's an SUV. If you need one car for all occasions because you are never sure what you'd encounter - twisties, traffic, parties, broken roads or slush, the Outlander is the car. The cabin is class and the music system would make you wonder what's the big fuss they make about the Bang & Olufsens in Audi A8s. the only thing we would change in this car? Nothing really, just give it a diesel option in the line-up."

Source: Top Gear India magazine, June 2009 edition. Pg: 92

They rated the car as their choice (TOP GEAR Choice). I would say Outlander any day... but just be careful the resale is going to be Awefull.....
Old 17th June 2009, 15:16   #87
BHPian

I was considering the Captive and was a surprised to learn that though the oil change interval is 10K kms the vehicle has to go in for a service every 5K kms. Given that on today's vehicles the majority are moving to longer service intervals because of better technology is'nt a 5K kms service interval on an SUV a bit much?
Old 17th June 2009, 16:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
I was considering the Captive and was a surprised to learn that though the oil change interval is 10K kms the vehicle has to go in for a service every 5K kms. Given that on today's vehicles the majority are moving to longer service intervals because of better technology is'nt a 5K kms service interval on an SUV a bit much?

5k is just too less for any SUV... even an Alto goes in for service after 10k kms. Do you know what exactly do they do at every 5k service.
Old 17th June 2009, 21:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

pajero= 3 generation old vehicle!
Captiva/endeavor/outlander= Toyota Fortuner much better than these 3
CRV= petrol engine

my choice would be fortuner 3.0 diesel. its a face lift new generation model compared to above mentioned diesel 4x4s!
Old 18th June 2009, 07:51   #90
BHPian

Have been waiting for the Fortuner for a long time and the way it seems, the wait is coming to a sweet end shortly. The vehicle seems to be round the corner and most reviews are rave. The only negative I have come across on the forum are:

- Size (Parking and City Drive Issues) [I still prefer the larger than life fealing]
- Stability at high speeds

Else it seems to be the best of the lot overall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks