Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:06   #121
BHPian

Re: Outlander vs Pajero vs LR Freelander

20-35 lacs??

Why dont you look at the Nissan X-Trail and its sibling Renault Koleos?

Both are excellent reliable vehicles with great Diesel mills. X-Trail will ride and handle more or less like a car while Koleos keeping in with the French tradition will provide you relaxed waft-ability. Koleos looks and feels more upmarket with that BOSE ICE system and comes with Automatic option while X-trail has both tranny's.

While I prefer the Pajero Sport to the Fortuner when it comes to Butch looks, the former's exceptionally long suspension travel is not to my liking.

Happy Shopping!
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:49   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
20-35 lacs??

Why dont you look at the Nissan X-Trail and its sibling. .

While I prefer the Pajero Sport to the Fortuner when it comes to Butch looks, the former's exceptionally long suspension travel is not to my liking.

Happy Shopping!
X trail is my personal favourite and Bose makes koleos extremely desirable. But, if prices are compared, outlander is 24L, x trail AT is 32L, koleos is 29-30L which equates to-
X Trail = outlander + free running (fuel + maintainance) for 70000kms
Koleos= outlander + free running for 50-60 k kms.
Cars are more or less simillar on all the other aspects and resale values will be also comparable after 5-7yrs. Hence, my suggestion and preference for Outlander.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 3rd August 2012 at 15:52.
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:01   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Interestingly, i am also in the suv market with simillar requirements as yours like 20-35L budget, 30k / annum running, mild offroading requirements and car to be used around pune, used to petrol luxury car (vRS). After extensive research on suvs from 20-60L range
Hey Doc, why not the Yeti, which ticks all the check boxes in your list and is a frugal, fast diesel with a 4 year/100,000km warranty to boot?
Old 3rd August 2012, 17:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, i am also in the suv market with simillar requirements as yours like 20-35L budget, 30k / annum running, mild offroading requirements and car to be used around pune, used to petrol luxury car (vRS). After extensive research on suvs from 20-60L range, i am about to put my money on Outlander for following reasons:
1. Provides premium experience with it's features, dynamics, space, ICE, overall finesse. Almost 80% there with q5, x3 at 45% of their prices.
2. AFAIK, service in pune is good.
3. Running costs for outlander petrol (fuel+maintainance) = running costs of europian diesels (fuel+maintainance)
4. All rounder nature: manageable in city with AT and not so big size, good performace on highways with excellent ride and handling, decently capable off road with 4HLc mode, good road presence and
exclusivity, good reliability in the long run( being japanese) with cheaper parts compared to europians.

The downside is:
1. Extremely poor resale value if sold within first 3 yrs. I am planning to keep for 5-7 yrs.
2. Petrol running costs, but, i guess we both are used to them and don't mind paying for refinement and premium feel.
3. Parts availability for accidental damages might be poor, but, i have clean driving history, so willing to take chances, also have spare car in that case.

Hopefully my analysis helps you.

Doc have you considered the Captiva 2.2 AWD- that is around 26L OTR and has a stonker of an engine, 4wd, At and all the works.
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:24   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Hey Doc, why not the Yeti, which ticks all the check boxes in your list and is a frugal, fast diesel with a 4 year/100,000km warranty to boot?
My car has to play three roles as A. Personal car B. Business car C. Family car. Yeti is Perfect as personal car, adequate as family car but fails as business car. My business car needs to look 'Rich, Impressive and Exclusive'. If i buy yeti, i will be forced to buy another impressive sedan/suv for business needs. Outlander can play all the roles beautifully and still look good amongst the company of big 3 germans. Only downside is Rs. 4-5 in terms of running costs which is preferable over maintaining two luxury cars and their depreciation. Other reasons for outlander are:
1. Better VFM at 24L than yeti at 21L
2. More space and 2 extra child seats.
3. Better ICE and more features like xenons, cornering lights.
4. Japanese are more reliable than europians in long term. Parts are cheaper.
5. AT with paddle shifts.
6. Refinement and long term reliability of NA petrol engine.
Outlander is much better car than yeti if you can absorb Rs 4/km in running costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Doc have you considered the Captiva 2.2 AWD- that is around 26L OTR and has a stonker of an engine, 4wd, At and all the works.
I like either Japs or Europians. Only americans i like are Fords for their excellent ride and handling set up. Endy doesnt have that. Also Captiva is 28L OTR pune if not more. Outlander is 4-5 L cheaper, lot better on-off road and comes with everything i want so that i dont have to see accessories shop for anything except sun films and perfume. I dont want any aftermarket fitments for ICE, etc. which results into rattles, squeaks, etc.
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:40   #126
BHPian

Re: Endeavor 3.0 vs CR-V AWD vs Outlander vs Captiva vs Pajero

Doc, i hear your heart scream - Outlander!!!! Don't think about it! You are already sold on it! Buy it!

Only other car that I see worth comparing is Fortuner, if you would like to be confused further!

But I think you have enough valid reasons to pick up the Outlander. And your point that the 4-5 lakhs you will be saving will fuel your car and maintenance just makes definite sense.

Cheers!
Old 3rd August 2012, 19:10   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Doc, i hear your heart scream - Outlander!!!! Don't think about it! You are already sold on it! Buy it!

Only other car that I see worth comparing is Fortuner, if you would like to be confused further!

But I think you have enough valid reasons to pick up the Outlander. And your point that the 4-5 lakhs you will be saving will fuel your car and maintenance just makes definite sense.

Cheers!
Thnx. I am sold on outlander and will buy one shortly. In fact my previous posts were not querries or doubts but the suggestion to the OP 'cncity'. :-)
Old 4th August 2012, 12:03   #128
BANNED

Quote:
Outlander is much better car than yeti if you can absorb Rs 4/km in running costs.
That is the crux here, and since you are ok in bearing the running costs, go for it I say.

Waiting for your booking experience and ownership review now.
Old 6th August 2012, 19:20   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interestingly, i am also in the suv market with simillar requirements as yours like 20-35L budget, 30k / annum running, mild offroading requirements and car to be used around pune, used to petrol luxury car (vRS). After extensive research on suvs from 20-60L range, i am about to put my money on Outlander for following reasons:
1. Provides premium experience with it's features, dynamics, space, ICE, overall finesse. Almost 80% there with q5, x3 at 45% of their prices.
2. AFAIK, service in pune is good.
3. Running costs for outlander petrol (fuel+maintainance) = running costs of europian diesels (fuel+maintainance)
4. All rounder nature: manageable in city with AT and not so big size, good performace on highways with excellent ride and handling, decently capable off road with 4HLc mode, good road presence and
exclusivity, good reliability in the long run( being japanese) with cheaper parts compared to europians.

The downside is:
1. Extremely poor resale value if sold within first 3 yrs. I am planning to keep for 5-7 yrs.
2. Petrol running costs, but, i guess we both are used to them and don't mind paying for refinement and premium feel.
3. Parts availability for accidental damages might be poor, but, i have clean driving history, so willing to take chances, also have spare car in that case.

Hopefully my analysis helps you.
I think that as TCO goes, this is the best option.
. Outlander = 7km/l max 10.5/km
. Diesel = 12 km/L max 4.5/km

so you save Rs.6/km which means to recover at least 6L in capital cost (with Outlander at 25L and nearest rival at 31L+) you have to drive at least 1L km. Factor in a lower maintenance cost and you may well have to run 1.5l+ km. Of course in a 10 year horizon, you never know where the fuel prices will end up.

As the rest of the world is still petrol dominated, parts will never be a big issue, only time consuming to import.
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:14   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity View Post
Hi guys,

We are looking for a SUV for daily use and some of the options i have thought of are the Mitsubishi outlander, Pajero and the LR freelander..The car will be used heavily in the city as well as small towns/rough areas...not really for sporting, but on the rough roads in small towns in MH ( around Pune )...Also the running will be high - more than 3000 km a month, so I need something which is sturdy and has good after sales service too..the current mercedes c200 is getting too many scratches driving on the rough roads, so this SUV is to replace the merc..

Any other options in the SUV are also welcome..
Booked a Land Rover Freelander 2. Will get delivery during Diwali.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:15   #131
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncity View Post
Booked a Land Rover Freelander 2. Will get delivery during Diwali.
Congrats on the booking. Great choice I d say.
Which variant? What color? What interest rate and OTR price?
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:05   #132
Senior - BHPian

Links to ACI comparo of Pajero Sport, Fortuner & Endeavour, which could help others in future:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...deavour.aspx/0
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:53   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on the booking. Great choice I d say.
Which variant? What color? What interest rate and OTR price?
It is the Freelander HSE. OTR came to Rs 51L..No interest rate since its paid all in cash for Diwali delivery. I will post the photos once it is delivered.
cncity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 23:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Which used automatic diesel SUV under 10 L- Scorpio or Captiva?

We are on look out for a good pre-owned automatic diesel SUV in 10 L budget for our family. Which one would be better- Scorpio or Captiva? Both come with 6-speed AT box and 2.2. CRD engine. Are they identical in performance too, I mean 0 to 100 timings and top speed. Captiva is AWD. What is it in "peace time" -- a front wheel drive or rear? Also, GM says it has self levellig suspension, which means whether car is occupied by 1 person or 7, ride height stays same. This would be a boon because most cars when loaded up, come down a bit and scrape bumps. Captiva just can't match butch looks of Scorpio but Captiva is more car-like to drive. BTW, the car , whichever, will be strictly for highways and good roads and it will never venture off road. Endeavour is out because of its bus-like length and Fortuner AT is beyong budget. Any suggestions please?
Old 24th February 2015, 09:24   #135
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which used automatic diesel SUV under 10 L- Scorpio or Captiva?

The Captiva is a far better product with better performance, dynamic ability, safety, build, quality and comfort. However, it will be pretty expensive to maintain. If you must have a diesel then I'm afraid it will be a tough choice between easy to maintain vs everything else. The Endeavour really isn't a bad option and I think you ought to look into it again.

If you aren't averse to petrol, then try out a CR-V or a 2.4 Grand Vitara

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks