Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 06:46   #1
BHPian

Endeavor 3.0 vs CR-V AWD vs Outlander vs Captiva vs Pajero

Guys I am asking for your blunt and honest feedback and help in choosing between the following SUV's (Crossovers or whatever have you)

Endeavor 3.0 vs CR-V AWD vs Outlander vs Captiva vs Pajero

My home back in India is in rural Punjab and most my driving is 60% village/rural and 40% city/hwy. The roads around my neck of woods are rough (to put it mildly).

60% of the time the vehicle will have 5 adults and 3 kids and the rest time just the driver or 1 passenger.

Diesel v. Petrol is not a big issue for me but the vehicle should be able to last a few years.

I understand the outlander does not have 3rd row seats, but was wondering if something could be rigged up in there to make two temporary seats

I am just confused, I have been reading these forums and researching online and thought I had my mind made up on the endy as I drove my friends and thought it was ok but since I have no long term experience with it I cannot discount the claims made about its harsh ride which would be unacceptable for my father.

Generally I used to own a small vehicle and hire a large one everytime in India but I think its time now to invest in one as I plan on being in India more often with the family.

So I ask for you help my friends and ask for your advice and any valuable input you might have on this.

I need the vehicle by January 09 so I can't continue waiting for the fortuner.

Thanks all in advance!
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
My home back in India is in rural Punjab and most my driving is 60% village/rural and 40% city/hwy. The roads around my neck of woods are rough (to put it mildly).

60% of the time the vehicle will have 5 adults and 3 kids and the rest time just the driver or 1 passenger.
The above two statements practically rule out Endeavour unless you want to punish the rear seat occupants on rural roads.

Quote:
I understand the outlander does not have 3rd row seats, but was wondering if something could be rigged up in there to make two temporary
Since Outlander does have 3rd row in other markets, it is probable, however if you need people carrier, Captiva is better choice than Outlander because it comes with factory fitted third row.

Quote:
I am just confused, I have been reading these forums and researching online and thought I had my mind made up on the endy as I drove my friends and thought it was ok but since I have no long term experience with it I cannot discount the claims made about its harsh ride which would be unacceptable for my father.
It is very simple. Take an Endy for a test ride and request for father to sit on middle row. The decision will be instantaneous.

Pajero can take 4 adults in comfort and probably 3 kids on the last row. If adults are not very big then 3 can fit in the middle row (there is provision and seat belts for two in middle row.).

I think Innova fits your requirements perfectly although it isn't in your list of vehicles. It can carry 8 people in supreme comfort on all terrains. It is very reliable and since it is ubiquitous on Indian roads, can probably be serviced a lot easily in rural areas as opposed to fancy SUVs. If you are hell bent on SUV, my vote would go to Captiva.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

You need to look at a 7 seater.

Innova V?
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:39   #4
BANNED

Captiva is the way to go keeping in mind of all your demands.
Or you can opt for an Innova which will be the best buy.
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

innova is a good choice. If ground clearance is an issue (very bad rural roads), then go for endeavor or pajero IMO.

You're not interested in safari or scorpio?
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Those who are recomending Innova, what do you think about it's last row? I find there is no room to keep the leg for adults, both in terms of height and depth. I think it is fine only for kids.
I find even the middle row not very comfortable. While there is ample leg room, it is too upright and the seat base is not very deep.
Captiva may be a good choice if you don't strictly need the 4WD.

Last edited by Guna : 22nd October 2008 at 11:27.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

My vote would go to the Pajero, even though its a little dated & runs on non-Common Rail technology
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:45   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Those who are recomending Innova, what do you think about it's last row? I find there is no room to keep the leg for adults, both in terms of height and depth. I think it is fine only for kids.
I find it comfortable than the Montero, Endeavour etc..

If the SUV looks is not important to you, then it makes sense to keep the Innova as an option in your shopping list.

But if you are okay with the old age looks and feel, then there's nothing like the Pajero. It's a vehicle completely in a different league.
Old 22nd October 2008, 11:58   #9
BHPian

I think Endy is a better option, I am not really sure of which Endy you drove the new TDCI or the older one. Drive quality, and also your fathers concern are well taken care in Endy. With those high profile tyre it not only gives the feeling of real SUV, but makes the drive so smooth in though roads. You cant buy space in any other vehicle than Endy.

As per my knowledge I am sure gonna rule out Innova from the list for the kinda drive Terrian you are talking about. Innova is purely highway vehicle, and pretty good for urbans, not a complete SUV.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Captiva can seat only 5 ppl comfortably as the rear row has a lil less leg room and is ideal for kids. The upside is a 2 year service package from Gm.

Innova is a nice option too but i have not much experience with it.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest Pajero SFX,its a SUV which can last decades,can seat 5 adults and 3 kids,can take on broken roads better than all the alternatives mentioned here and can be used for occasional fun off the road.

Outlander cannot take the extra seats.
see here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tlander-2.html
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:28   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
You cant buy space in any other vehicle than Endy.
Not at all. No usable space in Endy eventhough it looks huge from outside. The rear seats are cramped and one of the worst.
The ride isn't comfy either. The truck origins makes it's presence felt in each and every hole/craters/uneven surfaces. The rear seats are nowhere to be seated in long journeys.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Not at all. No usable space in Endy eventhough it looks huge from outside. The rear seats are cramped and one of the worst.
The ride isn't comfy either. The truck origins makes it's presence felt in each and every hole/craters/uneven surfaces. The rear seats are nowhere to be seated in long journeys.
I would agree. It may be in some models, but the one I saw in the showroom had only two (wide) middle row seats! Last row is just for namesake and is meant for kids at best. It is not as spacious as it appears.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Look no further than the innova. You will get one for half your budget. Innova V 8seater to be precise.
Old 22nd October 2008, 12:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.kk View Post
As per my knowledge I am sure gonna rule out Innova from the list for the kinda drive Terrian you are talking about. Innova is purely highway vehicle, and pretty good for urbans, not a complete SUV.
I completely agree to your statement,Innova is a comfortable vehicle with a good ride but is best suited to urban conditions as it cannot take deep potholes,it simply crashes into them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks