Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 15:20   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Look no further than the innova. You will get one for half your budget. Innova V 8seater to be precise.
I don't deny the excellence of Innova, what I mean is it wont be perfect for what he is looking at. 60% of rugged road driving.
Old 22nd October 2008, 16:57   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Pajero & Endeavour are bullet-proof, though the Pajero wins on account of its road manners. I love the Endeavours tough build but the ride quality will have your family kicking you out of the house.

Its a toss between the Pajero & the Innova then. The latter is from a segment lower than what your budget seems to be, but is more than a match for the intended usage. Update us after test-driving both.
Old 22nd October 2008, 22:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

All those here recommending Innova probably didn't read the OP properly and rather don't know the rural Punjab roads that well. Ghetto wants a vehicle that could last some years as well while negotiating those roads, fully laden, most of the times. Innova won't last a year though in such conditions.

My vote goes for Pajero.

Reason: During monsoons, when there is slush in the rural Punjab, with its selectable 4L, Pajero will pull through, while the Endy can get bogged down due to its weight and so could Captiva as it is not AWD/4WD. CR-V has low GC compared to the others & Outlander is not a 4WD and heavy too.

Ghetto, you may also like to consider the 4WD 2.6 CRDe Scorpio & the 4WD 2.2 VTT Safari also in your scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post

My home back in India is in rural Punjab and most my driving is 60% village/rural and 40% city/hwy. The roads around my neck of woods are rough (to put it mildly).

60% of the time the vehicle will have 5 adults and 3 kids and the rest time just the driver or 1 passenger.

Last edited by gd1418 : 22nd October 2008 at 22:43.
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Diesel v. Petrol is not a big issue for me but the vehicle should be able to last a few years.
Do check the outlander then. It should satisfy all your requirements.
Else, Pajero is a no-brainer.
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Outlander is not a 4WD and heavy too.
I thought Outlander has 4wd with locking option.
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Yes, it has and is a good option too. Suggest GhettoMAX to try Pajero and Outlander and then decide.

BTW, I rule out Innova suggested by some. I have tried it in Kerala country roads and do not come out as well like SUVs. It is good for city and highway, but not appropiate here.
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:29   #22
BHPian

Regarding lack of safari or scorpio from the list, we have both in the family and they are tough rigs no doubt. I just desire something a bit upscale if you will and perhaps more comfortable if possible.

Thank you all for your valuable advice thus far and please believe me that I will be thinking about everything being suggested here.

Innova indeed is a very good minivan and though I genuinly appreciate its abilities and vfm I forgot to mention that I also have a younger brother that my wife sides with and they both hate minivans as I forced a purchase of one in the US they still wont forgive me. This is the ONLY reason silly as it may seem but it is my wife and my brother's turn this time and they have said that they don't care as long as it is a SUV.

Having said that - I really hate how people in US are spoiled driving huge SUV's eventhough minivans CLEARLY have an advantage overall.

But anyways, this is how it is and reading the comments so far we are pretty much down to Pajero v. Captiva

Just got off the phone with my bro-in-law and he is pushing captiva as if he had quit practicing law and become a chevy salesman. He has gone as far as threatening that he is going to place in order coming saturday even if I don't decide!

He has made some valid points such as GM offering some sort of maintenance free package (unsure of details) and the car being fairly new vs. pajero being last gen technology and such. Resale values etc.

The only arguement remains is the Front-wheel-drive vs. 4x4 arguement. My vehicles so far have been 4x2 with one being a rear wheel drive (sumo) and the other two (zen and city) being front wheel drives. I dont recall having a major issue with them other than one time where the NHC got stuck in a flash flood situation and had to be pulled with a tractor. This was error on my drivers behalf as he didnt pay attention to other drivers avoiding the path and going around.

So lets discuss this, how is the interior comfort between Captiva vs. Pajero?

If you were in my situation and had to pick between two what would your immediate thought be?
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:37   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If you need 7 seats and a comfortable ride then looks like Pajero 2.8 is your only options. 5 Adults and 3 kids will be an uncomfortable ride in the CRV or Outlander without the third row. Endy I suggest driving the Pajero 2.8 on the highway. It's a bit underpowered by today's standards, but you get a proven vehicle with solid reliability and a very comfy ride.

The latest SFX version actually looks very nice with the wider tires etc.
Old 22nd October 2008, 23:48   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Yes outlander has 2h,4h and 4hlc with locked center differential and all wheel traction control.
Old 23rd October 2008, 00:49   #25
BHPian

Pajero it should be.

If you want rock solid reliability in rural Punjab with kerosene mixed diesel you should not touch CRDI engines with a barge pole.
If I were you I would choose the Pajero which has the normal turbo engine.
Just ask the cost of repairs for a failed Injection pump for the Captiva engine which is bound to happen sooner than later with the diet you will be forced to feed it with.
If the roads are bad then you have no choice other than going for the Pajero. It may not look as upmarket as the Captiva but you will have peace of mind compared to any of the vehicles you mentioned.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 23rd October 2008 at 00:50.
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:05   #26
BHPian

What about the Prado?

How come the Prado Petrol V6 is not on your list of SUV's
Toyota - Land Cruiser Prado
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If you want rock solid reliability in rural Punjab with kerosene mixed diesel you should not touch CRDI engines with a barge pole.
If I were you I would choose the Pajero which has the normal turbo engine.
Just ask the cost of repairs for a failed Injection pump for the Captiva engine which is bound to happen sooner than later with the diet you will be forced to feed it with.
If the roads are bad then you have no choice other than going for the Pajero. It may not look as upmarket as the Captiva but you will have peace of mind compared to any of the vehicles you mentioned.
Punjab is a diesel lovers state,CRDi's have been there since launch without any trouble,even i never had any problems with diesel in punjab.
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:38   #28
BHPian

Quote:
How come the Prado Petrol V6 is not on your list of SUV's
Toyota - Land Cruiser Prado
Ah! the lexus Gx as we know it in the states, sweet rig. Why is it not on my list of SUV's... simple... financially it is not in my comfort zone.

In the 20 lakh range I can build in scheduled/forseen and unscheduled/unforseen repairs and still stay in a comfort zone.
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punjab IIRC has the highest Safari sales in the country - all of them happily running on Diet Diesel
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

With eyes closed would go for Pajero with the Bridgestone Dueler A/T 31x10.5 R16 tyres, though I love the twin silencer look of the Captiva with the projector HLs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoMAX View Post
If you were in my situation and had to pick between two what would your immediate thought be?

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd October 2008 at 11:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks