Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 14:03   #61

[quote=aaggoswami;1092551]Here are the two threads about Grand Vitara long term ownership.

Thank You aaggoswami
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:21   #62
BHPian

Dilemma

May I share the same dilemma?

I have now a Scorpio and a CRV 2.4MT. The latter is used at my outstation office, so I drive it only when I'm there. I wish to upgrade from my Scorpio by February. I've been looking at the Safari, but everyone is advising me against it. (I owned an earlier example.)

So, what should I buy? I'll be buying a Q7/ GL/ LC200 shortly, so I am looking for a smaller, albeit comfortable and reliable, vehicle with good ground clearance and preferably auto gearbox. Budget is around 20 lacs. Endeavour is too bouncy, Safari out of picture, Pajero is a bit long in the tooth ( I owned an imported version some time back).

So it's between Grand Vitara, Outlander and the soon to be launched Captiva AT.

Fuel economy is not much of a concern, as I have multiple vehicles and I drive only around 1500 km (monthly) all my vehicles combined. I intend to use the vehicle primarily around town, and occasionally to the beach and some picnicking outdoors, including some very casual offroading (nothing serious) like moderately poor roads and riverbeds.

Please, I'm confused, so advice would be very much welcome. Thanks.
Old 4th January 2009, 13:18   #63
BHPian

Test the Outlander, Yeldo. You will be pleased.
Old 4th January 2009, 16:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai PPL,

I drove a fortuner back in 2007, Indonesia, have posted the pictures here on this thread, post No.5.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...singapore.html

The pictures are here:

Picasa Web Albums - ramky - KL,Singapore#

The one I drove was 2.7L D. Lots of room; but I was expecting the kick in lines with a Scorpio (I am not comparing anything else, only the engine response) was disappointed. It's a great cruiser and swallows, holes, bumps and off roads like velvet. I had to go of narrow roads to give way; Fortuner did that with a shrug. A truck that size could do with 1000 CC more to make it sprint instead of a lumbering giant.

Don't know what variant will hit India eventually.

--Ramky
=======
Ramky, you drove the 2.7vvti which is a petrol. The fortuner also has a 3.0d4d which is a diesel that makes a 160bhp and about 350nm torque
Old 19th January 2009, 19:49   #65
BHPian

Fortuner...

Have driven the fortuner while i was working in Dubai (owned a Honda MRV alias Pilot at that time). I was told that the fortuner was built on the Hilux (light commercial vehicle) of Toyota to woo the lower income groups who aspired to have a 4X4 which could fit into their wallet since having a 4X4 there was a dream for any auto enthusiast. The Prados and Pajeros (Montero in India) where the decent low end 4X4s available until the fortuner came. Though we had the Korean variants that was priced very competitively, people preferred the Japanese, European or American brands. Getting back to the point here if you feel the Endy Thunder+ bumpy, I am sure you will feel the same with Fortuner too as it is built over a LCV. Moreover, I am sure Toyota would have put a lot of changes into the Fortuner by now.... I heard we will also be getting the Hyundai Santa Fe in India in 2009... If that is so.. it would be a good wait... have seen some good reviews about it in the Americas, Australian and European markets... Lets wait and see how these biggies will make it over the recession...
Old 19th January 2009, 20:12   #66

Hi Yeldo, I am thinking through the same set of options. I have a 2.0 CRV with a 210mm ground clearance (original model marketed in India) and I have done 40,000 km in 5 years. Like you I drive multiple vehicles, so mileage is low. Apart from in city driving in Chandigarh (probably the best roads in the country), the CRV gets to our summer hom about 5-6 times a year which is 140 km and the last 15 km is rough - lots of potholes. I also drive regularly to my farms at short distances from Chandigarh but have to deal with river beds, etc. I just collected the CRV from the garage this afternoon after getting the differential case and a support arm replaced. Can't remember the last time I saw a 2kg piece of cast aluminium (differential case) priced at Rs. 73M+.

Now trying to decide what I should buy for the light off-roading required. Surprisingly the ground clearance on the CRV at 210mm is about the highest I have been able to locate. The M-Class is much higher but also equal to 3 Crv's! Like you I want an auto gearbox. The outlander has lower clearance than the cRV and its spare wheel is under the car at the rear and so it looks like its going to take a beating on the departure angle.

I would be interested to see how your thoughts develop.
Old 26th January 2009, 21:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepbu View Post

I would be interested to see how your thoughts develop.
I'm now very seriously thinking about the Captiva A/T. It has better GC,and the issue of torque steer in the 2WD version might be gone with 4WD coming in. Plus, compared to the CRV, it's priced rather well.
Old 26th January 2009, 22:03   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I'm now very seriously thinking about the Captiva A/T. It has better GC,and the issue of torque steer in the 2WD version might be gone with 4WD coming in. Plus, compared to the CRV, it's priced rather well.
Is it full time AWD? If not, the issue of torque steer would be still present.
Old 28th January 2009, 01:06   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-roader vs. soft-roader?

Enjoyed going through the discussion, but why isn't anyone discussing the differences between a true-blue off-roader like the Pajero and the likes of a soft-roader like the CR-V? An off-roader, ideally, has 4x4 with high and low ratios, and preferably a lockable centre diff and limited slip differentials on both axles. It would be fairly waterproof too. On the other hand, the likes of the CR-V and Outlander (or the Tucson or Captiva) are soft-roaders, and apart from the Tucson, cannot lock into 4WD mode manually if required. An Endeavour I know very well bust its clutch at 10,000 km, and I am totally off Fords after that (an off-roader is supposed to have an unburstable clutch IMO). Is ground clearance the only factor? Try the Ford Fusion with its 198 mm.

My money rests on a Pajero or Montero, VW Touareg, Toyota Fortuner (if and when it's launched) or just the Bolero CRDi 4WD, and of course, my favourite, the Gypsy (someone put in an AC, power steering and a diesel engine into it, and I'll buy it tomorrow morning). Big money to spend? Try the Porsche Cayenne - it eats mountains and deserts for breakfast.

No offence to anyone...
Old 28th January 2009, 08:12   #70

You make a good point. My angle on this is that I am look for an Automatic Transmission. Unfortunately the Pajero sold in India is available only in a Manual. The Montero is great but very expensive!

The Toyota Fortuner might well be the answer to people like me - Diesel, AT with reasonably good off-road capability. Lets wait and see. It would be great if Mitsubishi introduced an AT variant. The model sold in India is dated, etc, but the flip-side is its time-tested, etc.
Old 29th January 2009, 17:19   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Try the Porsche Cayenne - it eats mountains and deserts for breakfast.

Man this machine is a marvel on road and off road.... it just floats over tarmac and dessert with ease...
Old 5th February 2009, 17:12   #72
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for hijacking this thread

My cousin is looking for an SUV within 15 to 20 lacs range.
Seriously no to
Captiva: No resale value, A.S.S & costly spares
Endeavor: a bad SUV with no rear seat comfort
Pajero: old model.
GVetrol vehicle.
Toyota fortuner: God knows when it comes??
Any diesel vehicles in this range???
Old 5th February 2009, 19:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
Getting back to the point here if you feel the Endy Thunder+ bumpy, I am sure you will feel the same with Fortuner too as it is built over a LCV.
Actually not. Toyota has made the extra effort to put coil springs at the back wheras Ford decided to save a couple of thousand bucks and retain leaf spring suspension. This results in a much higher floor at the rear where you are sitting with your knees pointing up and much harsher ride.

I have been in both vehicles and can tell you that for rear seat comfort the Fortuner is way ahead of the Endy. Not only in the leaf spring aspect but the seats are much more comfortable. The rear suspension set up is very similar to the Innova and those of you who have been in Innova's know that it is a much more comfortable ride than in the rear of an Endy.

Yeldo:

If mileage and fuel type is not a concern, I would suggest the GV. Best value for money in the 15 lakh range. Also available in automatic if you need. Fuel mileage is the biggest draw back but since your mileage is spread across multiple vehicles it may not be an issue. If you want to spend a few lakhs more, go for the Outlander.

SS-Traveller:

I think most of us understand the difference between a Soft Roader and a true 4x4. Yeldo has said that his off-road jaunts will be limited and he is not looking to tame to Munnar trail...

Last edited by 4x4addict : 5th February 2009 at 19:07.
Old 5th February 2009, 19:10   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Captiva: No resale value, A.S.S & costly spares
Not true, actually. Spares are reasonably priced. A.S.S. is not that bad any more. Resale value shouldn't matter if the car will be used for 5+ years. If diesel is a priority Captiva is the best option, unless you want to wait infinitely for the launch of CR-V 2.2D.

Quote:
Endeavor: a bad SUV with no rear seat comfort.
Why is it a bad SUV? Please elaborate. It's the most SUV of all the so-called SUVs here. As regards the rear seat comfort, I agree with you.
Old 6th February 2009, 12:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

Why is it a bad SUV? Please elaborate. It's the most SUV of all the so-called SUVs here. As regards the rear seat comfort, I agree with you.[/quote]

When we look at the ride & comfort hope your are aware of it.
Ford A.S.S are they as good as suzuki,Hyundai,Honda & Toyota.
we can purchase only for its road presence.
what else is left over in this?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 6th February 2009 at 12:46.

Most Viewed